3x Intuition
4x Disrupt
2x Merchant Scroll

2x Pithing Needle
2x Tormod's Crypt
4x Echoing Truth
4x Counterbalance
3x Sensei's Divining Top

So basically, through my short about of playtesting It's been really great against land/different green variant sort of decks. I can rush out Dreadnought fairly fast and the deck has a pretty fantastic combo MU. Not sure on the Thresh MU yet. but Top/Counterbalance should pretty much if you can get one into play it's really hard for them to win. Thoughts?

Rood
10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
The Foil seemed fairly obsolete so I dropped them for 2x Merchant Scroll: Helps dig out the combo/random draw/counter power you may need/want.

outsideangel
10-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Trinket Mage gets Dreadnought, along with Needle, Top, Crypt, etc. Consider him.

Tacosnape
10-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree with outsideangel. -4 Accumulated Knowledge, +4 Trinket Mage.

Rood
10-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I agree with outsideangel. -4 Accumulated Knowledge, +4 Trinket Mage.
I've found Dirupts to fit that slot nicely, a fast catrip/early counterspell helps against both hand destroy and cantrips.

APriestOfGix
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
along with Trinket Mage, AEther Vial lets you play Dreadnoughts. The number is up to you, but maybe 1-2 to Mage, or a full playset if your going to add a few more critters.

thefreakaccident
10-22-2007, 03:13 PM
It looks like your stompy and aggro match ups would be horrible... I ran a very similar deck with a black splash a while back

You could also consider running red for fling and clash in the board...it would also open up more creature removal as well...

A decent lost for ug goyfnought is...

4 tropical island
4 flooded strand
4 wasteland
1 breeding pool
2 island
4 polluted delta

4 tarmogoyf
4 trinket mage
2 phyrexian dreadnought
4 nimble mongoose

4 force of will
4 daze
4 brainstorm
4 stifle
2 trickbind
2 sensei's divining top
3 counterbalance
4 ponder

Sideboard varies...

Mister Agent
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Playing with trinket mage also makes your counterbalances more relevant. I like this idea though and I would highly recommend having slots for some EEs in here. Since you don't seem to have any removal(except echoing truth which is good but I think you need more) and running more removal will be needed considering you don't really have much of a consistent fast clock either.

Rood
10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
It looks like your stompy and aggro match ups would be horrible... I ran a very similar deck with a black splash a while back

You could also consider running red for fling and clash in the board...it would also open up more creature removal as well...

A decent lost for ug goyfnought is...

4 tropical island
4 flooded strand
4 wasteland
1 breeding pool
2 island
4 polluted delta

4 tarmogoyf
4 trinket mage
2 phyrexian dreadnought
4 nimble mongoose

4 force of will
4 daze
4 brainstorm
4 stifle
2 trickbind
2 sensei's divining top
3 counterbalance
4 ponder

Sideboard varies...

I know this may sound surprising, but my hardest matchups are decks such as oposing Landstill Decks, Aggro deck I really haven't had a problem with at all. As far as that list goes, we are both using 2 shell-types for Dreadnought: Landstill and Threshold. One has an amazing draw engine with more countermagic, other has incredible aggro to pressure more. Personally I am just a fan of Landstill and I thought the inclusion of this card could speed up the kill factor against decks such as Goblins a hell of a lot.

Playing with trinket mage also makes your counterbalances more relevant. I like this idea though and I would highly recommend having slots for some EEs in here. Since you don't seem to have any removal and running removal will be needed considering you don't really have much of a consistent fast clock either.

The only problem with that is I'm trying to make my combo as quick as possible, perhaps maybe EE could be good although i may have to throw in a U/W duel land for sure. The main reason i dont really have any removal is because It can slow the tempo down quite a bit with Stifles/Wastelands/Disrupts early game. And mid game I cast Standstill to regain my card advantage. Although I would very much so like to include the Top/Balance MD if possible.

Mister Agent
10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
The only problem with that is I'm trying to make my combo as quick as possible, perhaps maybe EE could be good although i may have to throw in a U/W duel land for sure. The main reason i dont really have any removal is because It can slow the tempo down quite a bit with Stifles/Wastelands/Disrupts early game. And mid game I cast Standstill to regain my card advantage. Although I would very much so like to include the Top/Balance MD if possible.

I think splashing a color like green in this deck can make this deck more consistent though since your opponent will have other threats to deal with like tarmogoyf and maybe quirion dryad as well. Well running stifles/wastelands/disrupts isn't always going to stop a threshold player from winning though since it is alot more resilient deck then that. I could see the stifles/wasteland combo working against threshold though if you have more of a consistent fast clock. Which is one of the reasons why UG threshold won the Legacy champs since it had the clock and just about the same disruption as this deck.

Rood
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I've decided to re-open after my recent T8 in ML Masters 87-man tournament.http://www.magic-league.com/deck/37811/legacy_t15.html#4c%20TarmoTopBalance50335

I've decided to splash black for the simple reason of hand control and a more consistant, faster combo with Lim-Dul's.
// Lands
3 [MM] Island (3)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
3 [IA] Island (2)
3 [REW] Wasteland
2 [A] Underground Sea
4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (3)
2 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [B] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [MI] Phyrexian Dreadnought

// Spells
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [DIS] Spell Snare
4 [SC] Stifle
4 [AL] Lim-Dul's Vault
4 [OD] Standstill
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
2 [TE] Intuition

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 2 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 3 [CS] Counterbalance
SB: 3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top

I piloted the deck 7 rounds a 5-0-2 record drawing my last 2 rounds. Lost in finals to survival game 3 partially due to mulling down to 6 which I really should have mulled to 5 because my hand was pretty shitty. I found this deck to be extremely explosive. The toughest MU I had all night would probally be Rifter simple for the fact he had multiple ways to deal with my kill factors..I was probally going to drop a Pithing needle and maybe 1-2 Truths and increase the amount of Extirpates in my board. Thoughts?

J.V.
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Rood-A-Bagel,
-2 Intuition
+2 Trickbind
and in the board:
-2 Pithing Needle
-1 Echoing Truth
+2 Massacre
+1 Extirpate

Also have you tried Mystical Tutor over Lim-Dul's it might be worth at least testing.

Rood
11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Dude i'm definetally considering adding in Trickbinds they could be excellent tech especially against Extirpates... mystical could also be interesting enough...but it has no way to search out Phrexian which can be a huge issue. I'll see about Trickbinds. What are the Massacre's for?

J.V.
11-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Free Meddling Mage kill. Also it wipes the board of other weenies. but Like I said, It kills Mage for free.

Maveric78f
11-16-2007, 02:51 AM
// Lands
3 [MM] Island (3)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
3 [IA] Island (2)
3 [REW] Wasteland
2 [A] Underground Sea
2 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [b] Swamp (2)

// Creatures

// Spells
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [DIS] Spell Snare
4 [SC] Stifle
4 [AL] Lim-Dul's Vault
4 [OD] Standstill
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
2 [TE] Intuition

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 3 [CS] Counterbalance
SB: 3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top

I would go :
-2 intuition
-1 LDV
-1 Spellsnare
+4 confidant
I would also run duress over thoughtseize, because what you need most of all is to get rid of counterspells, swords, threads, krosan grips, smothers, etc...

Rood
11-16-2007, 03:14 AM
When i first was testing this deck, I had Bobs maindecked but dropped him for what reason I'm not entirely sure but I accually removed Intuitions and put in Trickbinds due to their versatility against annoying things such as REB and FoW on Stifle. Most people will just let the Naught resolve, then attempt to counter the stifle. Putting Bobs back into the deck could make it more interesting but more testing would be needed. As far as the Duress over Thoughtseize goes, Thoughtseize is so much more versatile true I do want to hit counterspells/swords but the ability to grab a Meddling Mage, Goyf, Goblin Lackey and alot of decks win cons makes it more attractive for me for 2 life.
However I did move Duress into the board. I also dropped Lim-Dul's due to the fact I'd often find it horrible Card disadvantage and without the suffient counter/hand manipulation to backup my combo the ability to search out and get the combo was irrelevant.

// Lands
3 [MM] Island (3)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
3 [IA] Island (2)
3 [REW] Wasteland
2 [A] Underground Sea
2 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [B] Swamp (2)

// Creatures

// Spells
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [DIS] Spell Snare
4 [SC] Stifle
4 [OD] Standstill
4 [FNM] Impulse
2 [TSP] Trickbind
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [TSP] Trickbind
SB: 1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 2 [SC] Stabilizer
SB: 2 [ARE] Duress

cann0nfodder
11-16-2007, 09:07 AM
You probably still have a horrible aggro MU. Standstill and dreadnaught are not tech together. The problem with standstill is the only way to capitalize on the thing is to have a board advantage while the only big creature you have is a 2 card combo that can occasionally prove tough to assemble. On a slow draw if someone drops a goblin lackey or an aether vial then your standstill will be a dead card and will not help you find a dreadnaught. Drop standstill for something that is never dead like more draw, a cantrip or Trinket Mage.

J.V.
11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Bagel, you should post your latest list...

Rood
12-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I would like to revive this thread after my resent 1st placing at this weeks U. Seas tournament http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7796&page=4

The turnout was about 25 players with an incredible diverse meta. I have been twinking my list and after some finishing updates I managed to go 6-0-2.

8x Island
3x Polluted Delta
3x Flooded Strand
4x Mishra's Factory
3x wasteland

4x Phyrexian Dreadnought
4x Trinket Mage

2x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Pithing Needle

4x Brainstorm
4x Daze
4x FoW
4x Spell Snare
4x Stifle
1x Trickbind (Tech)

3x Counterbalance
4x Standstill

SB:
3x Pithing Needle
3x Echoing Truth
3x Tormod's Crypt
3x Chill
3x Back to Basics

I played from the range of control of Angel Stax, aggro in Affinity, and Aluren for combo. My toughest matchup all day was probally affinity simple because my CB was useless and i was put on a very fast clock. Ideas?

HammafistRoob
01-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Rodney, I have two words for ya, TOURNEY REPORT!!!

vanele
01-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Looks like it would have trouble with The Rock, >.-
Also depending on how often you kill with factorys try a mutavault :D

Rood
01-21-2008, 01:01 AM
There was a recent Hadley tournament this Weekend which had a very nice turnout of 36 players. I placed 3rd
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7899&page=6
I took some nice tech I've seen others use in other trinket mage toolbox decks which included the 1x Dual land EE to blow up random stuff like Chalice, Goyf, etc. First off here's the list I played.

Lands
2 [MM] Island (3)
3 [ON] Polluted Delta
5 [IA] Island (2)
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
3 [REW] Wasteland
1 [B] Volcanic Island

Creatures
4 [FD] Trinket Mage

Spells
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [SC] Stifle
3 [CS] Counterbalance
2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [10E] Pithing Needle
4 [OD] Standstill
3 [DIS] Spell Snare
1 [TSP] Trickbind
1 [FD] Engineered Explosives

Sideboard
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [6E] Chill
SB: 3 [US] Back to Basics

The tournament was 6 rounds which was new to me usually it's only 5 rounds but there was a nice tounout for this :D.

Round 1: Elves
Game 1: I dropped a T2 dreadnought and apparently he maindecked naturalizes which met Force of Will. Proceeded to ride nought to victory.
Game 2: He gets a few elves into play, Nought comes online instead of waiting I attack him at low life, he lives with Elvish champion losing his entire board uses Herald to search for Elf CIP destroys artifact or enchantment. Proceeds to beat me down.
Game 3: He gets mana screwed im mana flooded. Nought comes online eventually, gg.
(1-0)

Round 2: Goyf Sligh (PR)
Game 1: Trinket Mage comes online turn 3 to search for Nought. It comes online T4 he has no MD'd answers. Nought proceeds to do what he does, kill.
Game 2: This game involved a Chill and a Nought which he Shattering Spree'd. I use factory/Standstills to draw insane amounts of cards and beat him down with factories.
(2-0)

Round 3: Trainwreck/Land Destroy (FoolOfATook)
Game1 : Beatdown Counterbalance/Top and Factories
Game 2: T2 Nought with double Daze/Force backup. He tries to cast two Deeds which are both countered.
(3-0)

Round 4: RB Goblins (Afro)
Game 1: He plays first which is never good for Dreadstill against Gobs. T1 lackey is Stifled, which he then proceeds to drop a T2 lackey..I scoop
Game 2: Vial and a bunch of ports/wastelands lock me out and he proceeds to eventually get out gobs and kill me.
(3-1)

Round 5: Ichorid (Maagler)
We decide to ID since we came to the tourny together
(3-1-1)

Round 6: Goyf Sligh..again
Game 1: early Standstill provides nice CA..nought comes online very quickly which proceeds to smash.
Game 2: CB/Top eventually I wasteland his G. source stifle his fetchie so he has 0 Green sources. Drop nought, he dies fairly fast.
(4-1-1)

Top 8: Ichorid again...(Maagler)
Game 1: I keep him off discard outlets, Putrid imp, LED...Nought comes online I prove to put him on too fast of a clock.
Game 2: LED is countered again on T1 by my FoW..he eventually combo's off...I use Trinket to search for a Tormod's crypt and a turn or two later Nought he can't recover fast enough.
(5-1-1)

Top 4: BGW Doran Rock
Game 1: He hurts me pretty badly with a first turn double Cabal Therapy hitting my Nought. He sticks a Confidant and another Confidant. Goyf soon later. I don't fetch for any colored source so i Can't EE for 2 and die.
Game 2: This was by far my worst playing error of the tournament...we both mulled to 5 he has Goyf on the field, I drop EE for 2 with the mana to pop it...I decide to save it he Krosan Grips on his turn and proceeds to keep my Noughtless with Swords x2 Vindicate x3..Pernicioud Deed. Needless to say it's not a very good matchup for me.
(5-2-1)

Props: Hammafist for making another Top 3 yet again xD
Manatee for driving us to this place even though it was 2 hours away.
Andy for making the T8 again and proving Ichorid is a beast of a deck
PR for Pimping out my Standstills and making them leet
Burger King for being so damn good

Slops: Me for playing so poorly in Top 4 =[~
Pizza selling out before I could buy any =[
Burger King for not being eaten sooner