PDA

View Full Version : Glittering Tog

thefreakaccident
10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
So... my teammate suggested this idea to me, and I have tried to make it a reality... There are still some kinks in the list and I do not have sufficient testing with the deck to draw any exact Mu annalyses... Here is the list that hopefully will develope into something great!

lands//23
4 tundra
4 tropical island
4 underground sea
1 savannah
1 bayou
1 scrubland
1 island
2 windswept heath
2 polluted delta
3 flooded strand

creatures//4
3 psychatog
1 Morphling

spells//33
3 glittering wish
3 pernicious deed
4 swords to plowshares
4 brainstorm
4 accumulate knowledge
3 fact or fiction
2 spell snare
2 stifle
4 force of will
4 counterspell

sideboard//
1 mortify
1 putrify
1 psychatog
1 dueling grounds
1 pernicious deed
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 mystic enforcer
1 loxadon heirarch
4 engineered plague
3 extirpate

The deck runs the classic suite of countermagic: 4 counterspell, 4 force of will... It also runs a standard board control amount, in deed, swords, and stifle...

The draw is by personal preference, seeing as not many people like AK and FoF has disynergy with Teeg... Teeg is there for a hoser against Combo, you basically stall with counters and stifles then you shut them down with Teeg to seal the deal...

There is a 3/1 split with Tog and Superman for 2 reasons:
1.) Tog is wishable via glittering wish
2.) Superman just fits it sooo well, I would have to be crazy not to include her.

spell snare is there for the overwhelming amount of blue in my meta, therefor making it anti-goyf/counterspell/standstill. card....

The sideboard is mainly a toolbox with some situational cards, some hosers (read Teeg, deed, and dueling grounds), and some wishable kill-cons (enforcer, Tog)...

The rest of the board is for general hate in the form of Extirpate, which is good against a rediculous amount of decks it is simply silly... against landstill you focus on their manlands, against thresh you focus on either their creatures or countermagic...

Plague is there for fear of goblins (still), for it would be a rough MU to say the least.

I would also like to point out that Tog is strictly for a lategame kill, for he will never (and I repeat.. EVER) be able to go for the Alpha strike early in the game.

Te deck is designed to be versatile, that is its' number one goal... In the SD Meta you have to expect anything, so versatility is key here.

Please give some suggestions/comments... I will edit the opening post once I get some playtesting and MUs done with.

TeenieBopper
10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Would you run Hill Giant in a constructed deck? If no, cut Morphling. If yes, learn a different game.

I'm not convinced that your off color cards warrant playing them. Deed is powerful enough, but G. Wish? Teeg? Enforcer and Hierarch? Dueling Grounds. I mean... really? I think you're getting distracted by shiny objects here.

Mordenkain
10-29-2007, 01:58 PM
lands//23
4 tundra
4 tropical island
4 underground sea
1 savannah
1 bayou
1 scrubland
1 island
2 windswept heath
2 polluted delta
3 flooded strand

creatures//4
3 psychatog
1 Morphling

spells//33
3 glittering wish
3 pernicious deed
4 brainstorm
4 accumulate knowledge
3 fact or fiction
2 spell snare
2 stifle
4 force of will
4 counterspell

sideboard//
1 mortify
1 putrify
1 psychatog
1 dueling grounds
1 pernicious deed
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 mystic enforcer
1 loxadon heirarch
4 engineered plague
3 extirpate

What strikes me the most is a startling lack of Tarmogoyf. Sorry to say, but your playing a UBgw control-agro deck, it begs for Tarmogoyf.

Secondly the four AK's seems bad to me, especially with no Intuition to go with them. I would want some amount of Ponder/Serum Visions/Portent instead.

On top of my head:

-1 Morphling
-4 Accumulated Knowledge
-2 Spell Snare
+3 Ponder
+4 Tarmogoyf

- Mordenkain

Nydaeli
10-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Needs more Swords to Plowshares. (I think that's just a typo, since you mention it and your list is missing four cards.)

Vindicate should probably be in the board instead of Mortify/Putrefy, just because it takes up one fewer slot. I also recommend Crime/Punishment for the Wishboard - if you run it, you can probably move the fourth Deed to the main.

Gaddock Teeg doesn't look very synergistic. I suggest Meddling Mage instead.

Duckphat_pie
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not convinced that your off color cards warrant playing them. Deed is powerful enough, but G. Wish? Teeg? Enforcer and Hierarch? Dueling Grounds. I mean... really? I think you're getting distracted by shiny objects here.

lol, punxorz

What strikes me the most is a startling lack of Tarmogoyf. Sorry to say, but your playing a UBgw control-agro deck, it begs for Tarmogoyf.

Yeah, I hear Tarmogoyf is a good card these days, and that if you are running green you should pretty much always include him.

Do you find problems protecting your psychatog though? I'm somewhat surprised to not see you running thoughtseize or duress in the main deck or sideboard, is it just not needed in the deck?

Morphling looks kind of strange here, it seems really mana intensive.

Looks like a really fun deck to play though

C.P.
10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Would you run Hill Giant in a constructed deck? If no, cut Morphling. If yes, learn a different game.

I'm not sure if they errated Hill Giant, but my Hill Giants are not exactly 5/x vigilant flier with shroud.

It is no Goyf, but it still is a very good finisher.

TeenieBopper
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure if they errated Hill Giant, but my Hill Giants are not exactly 5/x vigilant flier with shroud.

It is no Goyf, but it still is a very good finisher.

No, it's not. if it was still a good finisher, it'd still be seeing play.

C.P.
10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
No, it's not. if it was still a good finisher, it'd still be seeing play.

It's just that there is no blue based control deck that can afford to play him. He saw play when MUC saw a brief spotlight in D4D. I played him for a while after that, and I can tell you that It is a good card. Not as good as it used to be, but still pretty good.

Kadaj
10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
If you apply that logic to MtG then are Goblin Welder, Exalted Angel, Decree of Justice, and Eternal Dragon suddenly horrible cards because they see little to no play in Legacy? Of course not. The fact that your personal opinion of Morphling is that it's a very weak card does make it a true statement, irregardless of your experience with the matter.

However, I do not think Morphling belongs here. It is an undoubtedly mana-intensive card that simply isn't at its best here. If you're looking for a finisher of that sort, I'd reccomend Meloku instead.

thefreakaccident
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
It is not seeing play because the decks that are currently running it are too slow ad therefore die before it comes online... an example being MUC and WUBS... this deck on the other hand has board control in addition to its' countermagic... The heirarch is for burn and aggro, the dueling grounds is also for aggro... the enforcer just means I win right now... I did run just vindicate in the board previously, but was left soo many times with a wish in hand and the singleton vindicate in the grave... although I could just run 2 vindicate...

Teeg shuts down combo in its' tracks giving them no chance to come back (like when they try to go off a second time)...

Tarmogoyf has poor synergy with deed, seeing as with him he wants to come out ASAP, which would then leave us with having to kill him off if we find the need to deed the board... The deck ghoes into lategame for a reason, so that the single morphling & the psychatog can go in for the kill like they were meant to (in the late game)...

I didn't say the deck was infallible, I was just looking for some suggestions as to how to make it work or even see if it is even viable...

Brushwagg
10-29-2007, 08:02 PM
The problem I'm having with the deck is the the Glittering Wish part. You are adding W&G, which are splash colors, to every thing your wishing for. Which just slows the deck down even more.

TeenieBopper
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
If you apply that logic to MtG then are Goblin Welder, Exalted Angel, Decree of Justice, and Eternal Dragon suddenly horrible cards because they see little to no play in Legacy?

Yes, they are. No play=no power=no good.

or even see if it is even viable...

In it's current incarnation, it's not.

Here's how it's going to play out. If you're objective enough, you're going to see that trying to make a w/g board control deck fit into the shell of blue based control deck simply isn't going to work. Choose A or B:

if A- You go with blue based tog deck. You realize 'tog decks suck. You scatch the deck.

if B- You go with the board control idea. As you change card selections and make the deck better, it turns into G/B/w board control. Or the Rock. Or truffle shuffle, or whatever the fuck you guys are calling G/B/w board control decks in this format. You scratch the deck, because it simply isn't powerful enough.

Slay
10-29-2007, 08:26 PM
It is not seeing play because the decks that are currently running it are too slow ad therefore die before it comes online... an example being MUC and WUBS... this deck on the other hand has board control in addition to its' countermagic... The heirarch is for burn and aggro, the dueling grounds is also for aggro... the enforcer just means I win right now... I did run just vindicate in the board previously, but was left soo many times with a wish in hand and the singleton vindicate in the grave... although I could just run 2 vindicate...

Teeg shuts down combo in its' tracks giving them no chance to come back (like when they try to go off a second time)...

Tarmogoyf has poor synergy with deed, seeing as with him he wants to come out ASAP, which would then leave us with having to kill him off if we find the need to deed the board... The deck ghoes into lategame for a reason, so that the single morphling & the psychatog can go in for the kill like they were meant to (in the late game)...

I didn't say the deck was infallible, I was just looking for some suggestions as to how to make it work or even see if it is even viable...

okay, if you want feedback here it is.

First off, decks that play bad creatures like Morphling or Tog are going to lose, because they play bad creatures that are dead in your hand for every part of the game except the late game and can't deal with Tarmogoyf. if you draw a Morphling, and you don't have ~9 lands on the board, it's going to be dead, and you're going to hate drawing it. The deck goes into the late game because those are the only options you've allowed it to go. It can't go beat in with the early game, which is a MAJOR problem if you're fighting combo or control combo.

Secondly, you're running 4 colors. 4. Now, that's not really a problem in and of itself, except that your deck wants GW pretty early, but it also wants UU early, and also 1UB, and also 1GB. A single Wasteland would disrupt your already fragile as fuck manabase and make it completely worthless, if it even got started in the first place. Cut down the manabase to something more manageable. Cutting black except for Deeds and maaaaybe Vindicate is a good way to start. Or, if you dont like that, figure out which colors you want to focus on(choose 3, preferably closer to 2), and work from there.

Thirdly, Teeg is awesome. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. He should probably be a greater presence in your sideboard. EDIT: BUT ONLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO COMMIT FURTHER TO A GW STRATEGY.

Fourthly, Tarmpgoyf has MASSIVE synergy iwht Deed. Having a single Goyf on the field causes your opponent to overcommit his board, becuase Goyf is gigantic and a gamebreaker. He als ohas synergy in that you cna drop Deed, then next turn pop it and lay down a Goyf, preferably with Force or Spell Snare backup. PLAY TARMOGOYF FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Lastly, stop forcing the lategame. The only decks that can get away with that have either 20+ pieces of creaturekill or play 4 Ancestral Recalls maindeck. You don't have that power, not remotely. Play it like any other control-aggro deck, because that's what it should be.
-Slay