PDA

View Full Version : Faeries??? (non-stompy)

Media314r8
11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
//Mana Sources// (20)
16x Island
4x Wasteland

//Creatures// (20)
4x Cloud of Faeries
4x Spellslutter Sprite
4x Weatherseed Faeries
3x Scion of Oona
2x Sower of Temptation
3x Mistbind Clique

//Artifacts// (7)
4x Aether Vial
3x Jitte

//Spells// (13)
4x Force
4x Daze
3x Stifle
2x Back to Basics

//SB//
2x Back to Basics
4x Coastal Watcher (1/1 flyer pro green for 1U)
4x Chalice
3x Powder Keg
2x Sower of Temptation

First off, mono blue with wastelands and BtB is pretty hot in this metagame, and the maindeck Stifle makes fetching even harder. Combo matchup seems moderatly favorable pre-boards, with 12 counters (including spellslutter) and 3 stifles, and chalice comes in from the board. Vial allows for some nutty play, like turn three your upkeep: tap two islands, vial in cloud, untap lands, play Clique and tap down your mana. Scion and Clique offers outs to targeted removal, and the pro-red guy with jitte can single-handedly win games against goblins and thresh. Turn two cloud, untap, spellslutter your turn two goys is a fine to. Aggro decks are a bad matchup, but keg, chalice, and slutter help with jitte being a deciding factor. Budget for those concerned, but it looks to be more competitive than the bevy of merfolk decks flying around the forums, as it has more maindeck ways to counter/steal goyf, and pro-green from the board. I also believe it makes greater use of vial with CoF's comes-into play ability.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Iranon
11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been very excited about the new faeries at first, but the good ones are all wizards anyway. Changing the tribal focus to wizards gives you powerful draw (Confidants and Shadowmage Infiltrators) and ridiculous stack control in Patron Wizard. Riptide Laboratory is at least as good for saving creatures scheduled for termination.

I've tried tribal faeries, but it just didn't measure up in comparison.

Tacosnape
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
On the contrary, Tribal Faeries can have strength. Scion of Oona has the potential to be absolutely ridiculous, especially if you get a pair of them down. Then you have a horde of medium-sized evasive untargetible threats going straight at the face. Scion should probably be a 4-of.

Also, given how many of your guys have Flash, I can't help but think that Counterspell might have a place in this deck.

Media314r8
11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I agree with the concept of a hard counter as most all of my guys have flash. However, I decided to include daze as it CAN be hardcast, (many forget this and pay the alternate cost no matter how many lands they have in play) and resolving a sower of temptation against thresh is JUST THAT IMPORTANT. I would be hesitant to move vial up to four counters, and thornwind does not have flash, and scion via vial can lead to many 1 for nothings. I would like to add another scion, but what to cut? Daze number 4?

Also, ~if~ I should replace the dazes with 'harder' counters, what counters should I use? I would like something akin to dismiss/ C command, but preferably that doesnt cost 4. Something like arcane denial.... but with less 'suck' factor.

Tacosnape
11-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree with the concept of a hard counter as most all of my guys have flash. However, I decided to include daze as it CAN be hardcast, (many forget this and pay the alternate cost no matter how many lands they have in play) and resolving a sower of temptation against thresh is JUST THAT IMPORTANT. I would be hesitant to move vial up to four counters, and thornwind does not have flash, and scion via vial can lead to many 1 for nothings. I would like to add another scion, but what to cut? Daze number 4?

I'd reconsider your stance on Aether Vial. You don't have the card draw to back it up, for one thing, and secondly, you can send in all your guys at instant speed anyway. At the very least, you shouldn't be running it without Pestermite, because Vial/Pestermite is sweet. (EDIT: You should really be running Pestermite anyway. It's one of the best blue faeries ever.)

I'd go -4 Vial, -1 Daze, +1 Scion, then +4 of something that will help you dig. As you don't run fetchlands, Brainstorm would be iffy. I'd probably pick Opt over Ponder, because sorcery-speed moves aren't your friend.

Also, ~if~ I should replace the dazes with 'harder' counters, what counters should I use? I would like something akin to dismiss/ C command, but preferably that doesnt cost 4. Something like arcane denial.... but with less 'suck' factor.

I'd pick good ol' Counterspell. It's plain, it's simple, it's easy to cast. If you're worried about the Wastelands interfering, there's always (gag) Mana Leak, or possibly Remand, but Counterspell would be my pick.

Aggro_zombies
11-01-2007, 03:31 PM
What are the Weatherseed Faeries for? Pro: Red isn't terribly relevant unless you expect a lot of Goblins. There's a Faerie "lord" in Time Spiral, 2/2 flying for :1::u::u: that gives all your other fliers +0/+1 and can tap to give them +1/+0. It seems better than Weatherseed Faeries (and keeps you from getting rolled by Engineered Plague).

Media314r8
11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
weatherseed faeries beat thresh, as if it picks up jitte, I win the game, and they can't burn it. Also goblins would be this decks worst matchup if not for weatherseed. I will reconsider replacing vial, but I'm not happy about it. (vial is one of the reasons I'm only running 20 lands.)

from Cairo
11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Pestermite seems like a beast with Vial and potentially powerful in combat in terms of tapping down annoying guys.

If you stick with the Vial plan you may want to go with Standstill to help with keeping fuel incomming and synergize with an active Vial.