4 AEther Vial
3 Opposition
3 Static Orb

// Sideboard 15
4 Thoughtseize
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Meekstone
3 Seasinger

Basically, it's a revision of of an old deck. You tap things down with Opposition and Winter Orb. During the end of your opponent's turn, you tap one of your Folk to tap down Static Orb which allows you to make a full untap step meanwhile your opponent is only able to untap two perms. This allows you to overwhelm the opponent. The great thing about Winter Orb is that it's also good during stalemates. When you just untap Vial with it, and such, and just keep waiting until you have position on the opponent. It's also quite a beating against a deck like Threshold, which is a very mana hungry deck, due to the fact that they love to cast cantrips and men. Stop them from doing so. Static Orb also decreases the value of Goyf as well.

So basically, the play is to play Opposition and play midgame and gain position over the opponent. You use Harbinger as a Survival card and get cards like Summon the School to make constant blockers or start a board lock using just opposition.

Some things I like about the list so far is probably just Seasinger being generally awesome against decks like Threshold. Stealing an Enforcer is just gravy.

But this list is just a rough draft. Comment and critique it. I havent played it yet, but it looks promising.

Nihil Credo
11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
So you're hoping to randomly draw both your 3-ofs...? Not to mention, you know, resolving them. And you're only playing 2 Reejereys, the best Merfolk ever printed that also happens to further your game plan.

The idea seems worthwhile, but the execution is terrible. Except for Seasinger, cut every singleton Merfolk since they all suck bollocks; ditto for the Harbingers and Rootwater Thief. Go up to 4 Reejereys and add some sort of dig/tutoring effect, probably Enlightened Tutor. I don't know where it's best to find room for countermagic protection, but you're going to have to find a way if you want the deck to be even remotely playable.

Zach Tartell
11-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I can see you packing it in to combo, hard. Unless I missed some section of the deck that included 4 Force, 4 Daze, and 4 cabal therapy.

Bryant Cook
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I can see you packing it in to combo, hard. Unless I missed some section of the deck that included 4 Force, 4 Daze, and 4 cabal therapy.

I agree. Stifle and wasteland might be a good idea too.

paps
11-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I know it has nothing to do with this decks gameplan, but where is Back to Basics?

Citrus-God
11-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Those are all great suggestions. The problem I am still pondering over is whether I should take a more Vial Goblins approach, or a more controllish-fish approach?

Thoughts?