PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Myth-busters

SpatulaOfTheAges
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14960.html

Can we have a giant disclaimer on the front of the site/format/everything, that bstrict represents no one but himself, and maybe SCG forums?

Why is it that every retarded thing he says gets attributed to the Legacy community? He doesn't even have a Source account.

Anyway, good article.

Xero
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14960.html

Can we have a giant disclaimer on the front of the site/format/everything, that bstrict represents no one but himself, and maybe SCG forums?

Why is it that every retarded thing he says gets attributed to the Legacy community? He doesn't even have a Source account.

Anyway, good article.

Yeah, that guy is a dick.

Anyways, I liked the article. It helps that I'm a huge Mythbusters fan :wink:

Bryant Cook
11-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I think it was a great article.

FakeSpam
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
::nuthug::

shteev
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
It didn't say anything I haven't read elsewhere time and time and time again. Some of it, word for word.

That said, maybe it's only repeating this kind of stuff over and over and over again in differemt places on the net that is going encourage non-Legacy players to get into the format. So, fair enough...

Pinder
11-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Thumbs up from me.

Nydaeli
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Landstill — The penultimate control deck now utilizes cards like Thoughtseize, Extirpate, and Tarmogoyf to apply disruption and pressure to the opponent.

Someone doesn't know what penultimate means. :wink:

Tacosnape
11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Ahh, Nightmare. An excellent article as always. And I don't just say this because you're good in the sack.

But seriously, I enjoyed this one. I always like how your articles lack the "I know more than you" quality that seems to be far too present nowadays. And the Mythbusters style thing was amusing.

Peter_Rotten
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Someone doesn't know what penultimate means. :wink:

Keep busting Nightmare's chops and we'll make that your penultimate post. :wink:

Zach Tartell
11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
No quotes from me? Eh, good enough anyway. Gold star!

APriestOfGix
11-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Warning for flaming. - Bardo

TrialByFire
11-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I liked it, even though yes, most of this stuff has been written before.

TeenieBopper
11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Stop blaming old schoolers for negative images please. We weren't pissed at new people, we were pissed at WotC taking years of our work and fucking it in the ass with a large, cold, steel dildo. Let me tell you, it's not as loving as you would think.

Oh yeah, and some recognition that we laid the foundation for this format would be awesome too.

Di
11-02-2007, 04:44 PM
[snip]

Or maybe he was trying to project something to an outside audience?

I also don't see you doing anything productive for the Legacy community, so please spare the rest of us your annotations.

Volt
11-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Fine article. And yes, bstric is a giant douchebag of epic proportions.

C.P.
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice Article, but it could have something about these 'legacy is all about turn 1 kill combos, its too luck based' myth.

mikekelley
11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Great article.

Although I do agree with CP.

HSCK
11-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Since when are Tarmo and Thoughtseize critical to Landstill? A good article overall, but things like that remind me of his rants on how Flash was good for the format.

Zilla
11-03-2007, 05:21 AM
I decided this month I would take a stab at whittling away all the baggage that comes along with being a Legacy player...
This is an extremely unfortunate mixture of metaphor. Throughout the entire rest of the article, I was distracted by the mental picture of trying to whittle a stick using only stabbing motions. That can't be good for your hands. Did they teach you that in Boy Scouts? Jesus. Otherwise, good job.

Skinny Oprah
11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
This is an extremely unfortunate mixture of metaphor. Throughout the entire rest of the article, I was distracted by the mental picture of trying to whittle a stick using only stabbing motions. That can't be good for your hands. Did they teach you that in Boy Scouts? Jesus. Otherwise, good job.

Once you start picturing it, you can't unsee it.

Whit3 Ghost
11-03-2007, 12:47 PM
The Red Green reference was fucking genius.

Good article.

Bardo
11-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Adam, this was a great article. The writing was tight and was an all-around good read. Well done.

Going through your points...

MYTH #1 — Legacy decks are too expensive.

I’m happy you didn’t skate around this one. When the best deck in the format runs on a $300 manabase, it’s a hard point to avoid. Being honest about the situation is the best way to approach it. Legacy is an expensive format, but you’re right to point out the fact that Magic is an insanely expensive hobby. I don’t want to know how much I’ve forked out for the game over the years, but it’s good to know that the older Legacy/Vintage staples are an investment and that it’s a seller’s market if I want to get out. It’s harder to recoup card values in the rotating formats when the market floods with a lot people trying to unload their cards periodically.

The awesome/frustrating factor for people that want to explore competitive decks is that every dual has a home in some competitive deck, and a deck like Goblins has used Plateaus, Badlands and Taigas. That’s a lot of $$ right there.

MYTH #2 - Old Staple Cards are Difficult to Find.

This is more related to Myth #1. People are really saying, “Old staples are difficult to find for a price I’m willing to pay.”

MYTH #3 — New Cards Cannot Compete With Older, More Powerful Cards.

This was excellent. It would be fun to do a deeper analysis, but even having access to 14 years worth of cards, with the exception of FoW, StP and the original dual, most of the best decks are running cards from Invasion block going forward—that’s the way it seems.

MYTH #4 — New Decks Don’t Stand a Chance versus Established Decks.

This is true in every format and isn’t a Legacy phenomenon. Most decks that have been fine-tuned and optimized through tournament play and heavy exploration are just better than something you put together at your dining room table. I would argue that Legacy is actually the easiest format to build new decks to beat the upper-crust. I’ll have to think about exactly why this is, because it’s hard to put it into words.

MYTH #5 — Legacy Players Are Xenophobic Elitists.

Meh.

MYTH #6 — There’s Nowhere to Play Legacy.

Here I have a suggestion. Someone (or maybe multiple someone’s) should have a standing section in their articles, just for upcoming Legacy tournaments. It would be nice to format it for easy reading: day/date, location, address of venue, etc. of upcoming tournaments.

If we want the format to grow and you have a weekly column read by a lot of people, mise well take full advantage of it.

Anyway, nicely done.