PDA

View Full Version : Casual - 8/9 goyf

HdH_Cthulhu
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I tryed to make a legacy deck that could run a 8/9 goyf and wich doesnt suck at all...
So i build a Ugr-***** deck with weaker burn, cantrips, and some other stuff and here it is:

4x Brainstorm
3x Mental Note
3x Predict
4x Mishras Bouble

//12
4x Nimble Mongoose
4x Tarmogoyf
2x Wearbear
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

//9
4x Force of Will
4x Daze
1x Pithing Needle

//8
4x Tarfire
4x Seal of Fire

//15
4x Polluted Delta
3x Flooded Strand
4x Tropical Island
3x Volcanic Island
1x Island

It is realy fun to play, and i must say Garruk is sometimes realy good!

The burn is realy weak but sometimes better thene the normal burn from ugr *****.
Tarifire could remove a blocker, thene gives your goyf +3/3 thene cast brainstorm+ mental note and put a bouble and Garruk in the grave...

So i ask is 15 lands enogh to support Garruck, and what should i cut?

Aggro_zombies
11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
15 lands is dicey in any deck not called "Ravager Affinity," so I'd cut Predicts for more lands (you don't have a reliable way to know what the top card of your library is). Also, Mogg Fanatic seems like it could be good here as an instant creature in the yard (AND he wins you Goyf-on-Goyf battles!).

Happy Gilmore
11-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I like how decks that run goyfs and better spells get all the advantages from this deck without having to run suboptimal spells. A 4/5 goyf will kill someone just as easily as a 8/9 goyf if he goes unanswered. Does a 8/9 stand a better chance against the removal in this format? Nope. Your sacrificing card quality for an advantage that is an illusion. If Goyf wasn't symetrical I could see the merrit of a deck like this.

ClearSkies
11-05-2007, 09:44 PM
The list is almost look like some kind of UGR Threshold or something with some (probably) sub-optimal cards in it.

I agree that having only 15 lands is definitely not enough to support that Planeswalker.

Bardo
11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
As mentioned in our site rules (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174027&postcount=5), we don't have a Casual forum on this site.

Incidentally, The deck doesn't look that bad--it's mainly a non-optimzed Red Thresh, but you don't need to run that many sub-optimal cards to crush with Tarmogoyf. And the difference between a non-evasive 6/7 and 8/9 is pretty slight.

Locked.