3 Bounty of the Hunt
4 Ankh of Mishra

// Sideboard 15
4 Hidden Gibbons
4 Winter Orb
3 Krosan Grip
3 Pithing Needle
1 Bounty of the Hunt

So why the Ankh in the Stompy deck thing now? Well, because you're using it as a tool to force the opponent to make decisions while all you do is just apply the beatz. After seeing my teammate post an Ankh Sligh deck, I thought about how bad that idea would be as everything isnt a strong threat, but only stupid burn cards and a small selection of decent threats like Kird Ape or Goyfs, and hardly much else. Playing guy after guy would make more sense, imo.

You threat base = Applied Pressure = Ankh taking full effect of forcing opponent make decisions.

Much of these decisions involve making land drops and taking damage from Ankh. This strategy is especially effective against Threshold.

As for you, Ankh doesnt hurt you. Your applying the pressure, life loss genuinely doesnt matter to you unless you're playing the control role, and you playing the control role already means you're going to lose anyway.

Well, tell me what you guys think! I need a lot of critiquing.

Jak
11-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Lotus Petal would probably be some good. Puts an artifact in the yard and you need early mana for an early Ankh.

The problem I see with the deck is you are using a slow card (that will deal probably 4 damage) in a fast aggro deck. You are wasting a turn in which you can cast a threat to play Ankh. I guess I need to test it, but it seems like it would slow the deck down, even though you may be using Ankh effectively.

Citrus-God
11-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Lotus Petal would probably be some good. Puts an artifact in the yard and you need early mana for an early Ankh.

The problem I see with the deck is you are using a slow card (that will deal probably 4 damage) in a fast aggro deck. You are wasting a turn in which you can cast a threat to play Ankh. I guess I need to test it, but it seems like it would slow the deck down, even though you may be using Ankh effectively.

I actually put some thought into that, actually. I was thinking that Ankh is a threat. Drop it down turn 1-2, and follow it up with a threat. Either way, the opponent takes 2 damage at least. So it's allowing me to be proactive.

I think Lotus Petal would be awesome here. It allows me to throw out 2c threats/double threats first turn.

Atwa
11-12-2007, 02:15 AM
The best part of Ankh, is that it'll cost 5 life just to use 1 mana of a fetchland. Seeing that most decks play 4-7 fetchland, it's a really strong card in the format.

The only problem I have with this dech, is the fact that mono green stompy seems to run out of steam way too fast. I've tried it myself numerous times, but a well timed Deed/Explosives/Infest/Pyroclasm seems to really hose the deck.

I'd try Root Maze in the side, it complements Ankh really good (3 turns and 5 life to get mana of a fetch? Nice!), but you would have to play the full 4 Petals for that. It could be switched with Quirion Ranger, since Maze makes the card pretty much useless.

Jak
11-12-2007, 02:19 AM
A cool deck could be RG with Ankh, Root Maze, Magus of the Moon, and Goyf. Maybe some excel like Chrome Mox, Petal, and SSG and ESG. But this is not the right thread for that.

Citrus-God
11-12-2007, 02:23 AM
The best part of Ankh, is that it'll cost 5 life just to use 1 mana of a fetchland. Seeing that most decks play 4-7 fetchland, it's a really strong card in the format.

The only problem I have with this dech, is the fact that mono green stompy seems to run out of steam way too fast. I've tried it myself numerous times, but a well timed Deed/Explosives/Infest/Pyroclasm seems to really hose the deck.

I'd try Root Maze in the side, it complements Ankh really good (3 turns and 5 life to get mana of a fetch? Nice!), but you would have to play the full 4 Petals for that. It could be switched with Quirion Ranger, since Maze makes the card pretty much useless.

Deed seems to be the only card that scares me. When I play against Deed, I try and keep threats in my hand and try not to overextend. When I see multiple Ankhs, I will always keep them in my hand when I already see one on the board. It's nice to recover from the Deed loss and fight back with more threats. Root Maze might make this deck better actually. I'll try it maindeck.

@Jak: I like Root Maze. I'm going to test it. As for Red, I'm not sure about yet. I'm going to test that some time this week and get back to the thread.

lolosoon
11-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Ahhhh x-Land stompy, the eternal contender...

Damn I love this (cheap) deck !! But we all know this deck runs out of steam very quickly.

I use quite the same liste as the one posted by A~A, but where Ankhs are packed to speed up your clock, I run MD RootMaze + Orbs to slow down my opponent. (Thus making Q.Rangers quite useless once RootMaze hit the board)

In my build, I run Bounty + Dryads to dodge W.Orb drawback. But in yours, don't they provide too much Card Disadvantage ?! Don't you think droping them for MD Gibbons (or the 2/3 fading beast) and Might of old Krosia would be better ?
Plus, Dryad as a Lackey kill is not that necessary in current Meta imho.

Two things though:
- With "evasive" critters as Boa, Dryads and Pit-Skulk, wouldn't 3 Might of Ol'Krosia found a place in your pump spells ?!
- Does the Split second of Krosan Grip matter over Naturalize (for CounterBalance I think ?!) ? The 3cc is huge for this manabase.

Any results from test sessions//FNM//legacy tourney with your build ?!