PDA

View Full Version : [Brainstorming] RG Pain

Jak
11-12-2007, 04:33 AM
In the discussion on 9 Land Ankh Stompy, Atwa brought up the inclusion of Root Maze. This intrigued me because I immediately thought of an RG deck with Magus of the Moon. So here is a rough list to get discussion going on the deck. Looks strong on paper to me. Since it is late, I probably won't be able to test it out, but I for sure will later.

RG Pain

Lands
4 Taiga
4 Mountain
2 Forest
4 Land Grant

Accel
4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
4 SSG
4 ESG

The Pain
4 Ankh of Mishra
4 Root Maze
3 Blood Moon
3 Price of Progress

Creatures
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Slith Firewalker

SB
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Pithing Needle
3 Krosan Grip
4 Cave-in

The plan of the deck is simple; try to get out Ankh fast and try to make it have a minimal effect on you. This made me have to run accel to power the artifact out early and be able to still play things out later. I think this deck can be very strong in the Legacy Metagame with so much 3c and 4c control and Thresh everywhere.

Card Choices
The Mana Base- Pretty rough and unrefined, but I wanted to run few lands to minimize Ankh's effect on me. The basics might need to be balanced out, or I may need to add more, but it looks alright.

The Accel- The acceleration in the deck is key to get out to a fast start. First turn Ankh or Moon is really good and these cards help that. It also makes the deck not rely too much on lands to be played.

Ankh of Mishra- Heart of the deck, really. This is great with all the fetches running around and is awesome with the other disruption pieces in the deck (Moons and Root Maze).

Root Maze- This card is underplayed and is a big tempo boost. Amazing with fetches. May be a problem with the 8 artifact acceleration pieces, but a much bigger drawback for you opponent.

The Two Moons- The best card in Legacy right now, IMO. Cripples decks by itself and with other things to back it up, it is even stronger.

Price of Progress- This is really just a finisher for the deck. I wanted some burn in their and this seems to be able to get the job done. Could change.

Tarmogoyf- Doesn't need explantion, but I will give it anyway. Going aggro is key to the deck because your opponent will be able to recover, so why not play the best beater in Legacy to get the job done.

Mogg Fanatic- Removes Bridges, takes care of Lackeys, Confidants, and wins Goyf wars. Amazing creature.

Slith Firewalker- This card is awesome with accel, so why not add him to back up goyf.

So that is the deck. Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas will help.

raudo
11-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Does Magus and Blood Moon work with Price of Progress? They turn lands to basic lands.

Zork
11-12-2007, 08:49 AM
No, they become nonbasic mountains, just as the artifact lands become artifact mountains.