PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Another (Mono-G) Stompy Deck

Media314r8
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi iam developing my berserk stompy and so far i feel like the deck is going in i good way some things must still be ferther tested. So i know the deck isn't at its best build mabe but iam just testing it out as it is so please dont think about it to much, For example the jitte.

But my main problem is my sidebord, Iam having a hard time chosing my cards. I cant chose the right cards my head is at its edge so iam asking all you stompy players out there to help me with the side bord. I want some motivs for the cards you chose to.

I try to answer all the questions you give me, and my english may be bad but i hope i made my self clear.

The deck is made for vintage also so iam open for all sidebord tips.

// Lands
15 [MI] Forest (2)

// Creatures
4 [GP] Silhana Ledgewalker
4 [MM] Vine Dryad
4 [EX] Skyshroud Elite
2 [PT] Jungle Lion
4 [GP] Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 [PLC] Kavu Predator

// Spells
3 [UL] Hidden Gibbons
4 [B] Berserk
4 [TSP] Might of Old Krosa
4 [UL] Rancor
2 [WL] Briar Shield
2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [MM] Invigorate

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
SB: 4 [DS] Viridian Zealot
SB: 2 [DS] Oxidize
SB: 3 [OD] Ground Seal
SB: 4 [CH] Tormod's Crypt

One deck i really having a hard time vs is flash !! so its hot material to get tips vs

The deck is made for vintage also so iam open for all sidebord tips.

This deck will never work in vintage, and if you want to tlak about a proposed deck in a vintage forum, please go to themanadrain.com. TheSource.com is 'the source for LEGACY.'

Wallace
11-20-2007, 11:44 AM
First off, welcome to the Source!

Your sideboard should reflect your meta, its hard to just throw together a board blind. If is was entering a tournament with an unknown/untested meta I would go with something like this:

2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Choke / Tsunami
3 Krosan Grip
4 Tormod's Crypt / Ground Seal
3 Blurred Mongoose

Is there a reason that Tarmogoyf and Rogue Elephant arnt in this deck, they are amazing here and need to be a 4 of's. Another main board card you might want to look at is Bounty of the Hunt from Alliances, its alternative cost makes it a great card in stompy.

On another note, Flash? You do know Flash is banned in Legacy right?

Risberg
11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
As i said the deck is not finished with the testing. But i have been playing 3-4 rouge elephant in main but i feel that very often when i draw those guys they do more dmg than good. Ofc its a vs deck question but then can be killed pretty easy in my opinion. And the land loss can be very vital i would say but vs many decks the elephant is a killer and vs many other hes still a killer but not to good.

The goyf is a card that most likely will add to the deck, its a good card but i havent been playing with it i still must test it out to give my oppinion. But i will replace the silhana with it most likely. Becouse i feel that in many games the silhana is tempo loss but in many ohter games shes the game saver. So i must keep on testing.

Blurred Mongoose i dont like the card sure it hits the table but no one can tuch him. Thats more bad than good if you ask me. And hes a 2/1 and will die vs any one.

Choke / Tsunami arent they a little expensive to play ? I prefer to play something good so that the opponent counters it and then plays the tech after. But in this case needing 4 mana minimun seemse to me a little long shoot.

Tormod's Crypt / Ground Seal those cards are hard ones i dont know if i should play both or with one. Both very good but tormods a littler more flexible.

As in the other post you dont wanna play vine dryad and Bounty of the Hunt in the same deck. It just dont work for my deck. But in some stompy decks the sure do there stuff but not here.

Krosan Grip or naturalize ? Is korsan grip better ? Its 3 mana card and its not impossible to play it but in some games it can take time to get those lands up :( so i prefer naturalize.

Yes i know flash is banned but i also play vintage with the deck ;)

Keep post coming !

Wallace
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Krosan Grip or naturalize ? Is korsan grip better ? Its 3 mana card and its not impossible to play it but in some games it can take time to get those lands up :( so i prefer naturalize.
Keep post coming !

Krosan grip is so much better, it can't be countered! This is vital in a lot of match ups. Counter Balance can't hurt you and you can blow up Top if needed.

ClearSkies
11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
One deck i really having a hard time vs is flash !! so its hot material to get tips vs

Well, there is a reason why Flash is banned...
Fast Combo decks have a tendancy to destroy Aggro decks with no disruption.

Maybe Root Maze might help...

lukatron2
11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
As i said the deck is not finished with the testing. But i have been playing 3-4 rouge elephant in main but i feel that very often when i draw those guys they do more dmg than good. Ofc its a vs deck question but then can be killed pretty easy in my opinion. And the land loss can be very vital i would say but vs many decks the elephant is a killer and vs many other hes still a killer but not to good.

The goyf is a card that most likely will add to the deck, its a good card but i havent been playing with it i still must test it out to give my oppinion. But i will replace the silhana with it most likely. Becouse i feel that in many games the silhana is tempo loss but in many ohter games shes the game saver. So i must keep on testing.

Hi and welcome to the source...I used to play this deck a lot last year and did very well in local tournaments with it in the past so hopefully I can help.

First off I used to run Rogue Elephant in the past and like you said it was sometimes good, sometimes bad. In the current meta though, I think it shouldn't be ran because it is somewhat of a setback with goyf now in the format. Check out these decks http://www.germagic.de/dc/list.php?type=Mono%20Green%20Aggro&format=Legacy

Thats a German magic website and all 4 of those decks top 8ed in significant Legacy tournaments. If you notice, only one of them runs Rogue Elephant.

@ Goyf, there is no reason that you shouldn't be running 4 of this guy. He is the best cheap-costed beater ever printed. I don't think you should cut Silhana for Goyf though because Silhana Ledgewalker flat out wins soo many games. It can usually get through for damage cause there aren't many flyers in the format, and it makes your opponents spot removal useless. Silhana helps you put the pressure on and makes sure you don't get screwed in 2 for 1s (them killing your creature in response to a pump spell).

As for Sideboard cards,

Hidden Guerrillas, Hidden Gibbons are great because they are essentially cheap beaters that will often come out.
Like Saracuse said - Krosan grip is really, really good and I think it is a MUST as at least a 3 of. Personally I would run 4. It helps you get rid of 2 cards that murder your deck: Chalice of the Void and Counterbalance. Also you can get their Engineered Explosives if they lay them down and can't blow it up until their next turn.
Root Maze can be a great card against combo and with berserk it could buy you enough time to steal games.
Tormad's Crypt is great against a big portion of the field - Thresh, Cephalid Breakfast, and Ichorid just to name a few.
Seedtime can be very techy as well cause there is so much blue in the format.
Jitte is a good sb card as well but I don't think you need it maindeck...
These are my best suggested SB cards for now and hope it helped you out a bit. good luck.

Risberg
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
This deck will never work in vintage, and if you want to tlak about a proposed deck in a vintage forum, please go to themanadrain.com. TheSource.com is 'the source for LEGACY.'

I will play this deck in vintage next year and we will see how it works, And i know its a Legacy forum

@ Goyf, there is no reason that you shouldn't be running 4 of this guy. He is the best cheap-costed beater ever printed. I don't think you should cut Silhana for Goyf though because Silhana Ledgewalker flat out wins soo many games. It can usually get through for damage cause there aren't many flyers in the format, and it makes your opponents spot removal useless. Silhana helps you put the pressure on and makes sure you don't get screwed in 2 for 1s (them killing your creature in response to a pump spell).

The thing is if you look at the link you gave me you can see that many of the decks run 2 goyf in main and 2 in the sidebord. In my opinion i think that is a really good choise. I have seen this guy win manny games but i dont trust him yet ;)

Hidden Guerrillas, Hidden Gibbons are great because they are essentially cheap beaters that will often come out.
Like Saracuse said - Krosan grip is really, really good and I think it is a MUST as at least a 3 of. Personally I would run 4. It helps you get rid of 2 cards that murder your deck: Chalice of the Void and Counterbalance. Also you can get their Engineered Explosives if they lay them down and can't blow it up until their next turn.
Root Maze can be a great card against combo and with berserk it could buy you enough time to steal games.
Tormad's Crypt is great against a big portion of the field - Thresh, Cephalid Breakfast, and Ichorid just to name a few.
Seedtime can be very techy as well cause there is so much blue in the format.
Jitte is a good sb card as well but I don't think you need it maindeck...

Krosan grip now that you mention it opend my mind a little and i just understod how dam good it is :D

I use to play Root Maze in main to gain turns and get time i need to make a creature big enught to beat down the opponent with berserk. BUT ! As someone said you cant belive in miracles i lost to many games waitng for the right time or the berserk or even worse to get the berserk counterd witch happens 70% of all games. So insted i removed root maze and focused more on the units and less on the berserk but i still wanted to ern some time in game so i put in hidden gibbons. They really stops time and gives you more control of the table vs many decks. And even if you play the root maze all the combo decks usually have answers for cards like it, So i prefer hidden before maze.

Seedtime i have been thinking about it and i like it more and more but i havent tryied it yet. If you have would you say it does enoght to play with it ?

Jitte its just in my main because iam out of ideas so it fills the spot for the moment.

And a question to lukatron2 and by chance if DarkAkuma happens to read this . First of all i really enjoy reading your post here at mtgsource, it makes me glad that there still lives stompy dedicated guys like you now days.

Anyway the question was recently i removed my 4 ESPG and my 4 land grant and put in more forest to the deck. from 9 to 15. Have you tryied plaiyng the deck without ESPG and no land grant and more forest. If you have what is you oppinion. My personal oppinion is that the deck runns better , but it has its good and bad parts without the ESPG and land grant. Without going to deep i really would love to hear your oppining before i say anything.

Thanks for all the post ! relly nice to read all !

Media314r8
11-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I really have no idea how this deck is supposed to compete in Vintage, an environment where an opponent either has a 15/15 dryad turn two/three and a cunning wish for bersekr/brainfreeze, (with a storm high enough for lethal) or a deck that wins on turn one/two with decent protection. Welder decks running mox monkey and duplicant have a shot as (i think) they run 4-8 ReB effects main for the flash match, and have dup and sundering for the GaT matchup. Mox monkey also helps immensly, as does chalice. Vintage stacks now has sphere of resistance, 3-sphere, and thorn so it fairs moderatly well, especially on the play. Goldfishing on turn 3/4 just doesnt cut it in vintage unles you're packing an insane disruption engine. (such as GaT)

Good deck, but I recommend you look at a few 9-land stompy (berserk) decks and keep this legacy-legal. Otherwise, it seems destined for vintage-casual groups. (if those exist)

Jitte<<Grafted Wargear, as wargear plays for 3 and equips for free, and can be transferred without losing tempo. The drawack is negligible as few/no decks run art removal main, and you are going all in with berserk and whatnot.

Risberg
11-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Ofc i build this deck for the lagacy format but i will still play it in vintage. I like playing the deck and its not impossible for the build in vintage. There is a lot of tech you can put in the deck if you ask me. And not all decks wins turn 2 or 3. There is some autoloss decks atm but i will not sit back home when i got i deck i can play with. And it would be fun if i won something.

The deck is what you make it, if you ask me. First of all you got the advantage that you are prepared what to meet and those you meet will be shocked to meet a stompy deck, No one counts on that anyone will play a stompy deck and that alone is one hell of an advatntage. Or am i wrong ? You cant denie that the stompy itself draws really good hands now and then. Also its a meta deck i dont know how it looks where you live but where i live theres alot of fish decks,goblins,keepr,oath,reanimate,stax. But then we got those so called "auto loss" decks like hulk-flash,TPS and all the other fast combo decks.
But still there will always be better and worse matchups what ever deck you play. And last time i played in vintage i had a very bad stompy deck and made it 1 win from top 8. Mabe you should try the deck in vintage first and see what it can do before you give it up.

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=34785.msg487202#msg487202

Here is a guy winning with stompy in a 180 person tournament so hopes up.

But still its mutch better in leagacy than in vintage dont get me wrong =) !

Risberg
11-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Alright i will not talk anymore vintage in the thread !!

Gui
11-21-2007, 05:17 PM
There are at least 20 mono green aggro topics in this forum, and if people try to recall the official one, maybe the discussion would be more productive...
I'll recomend you a berserk stompy of my own, and ask you to try to post at the other topic...

Here's the list I've tried to use sometime...

// Mana
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
3 [LND] Forest (7)
4 [MM] Land Grant
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [B] Llanowar Elves
4 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide

// Creatures
4 [PT] Jungle Lion
3 [GP] Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 [NE] Skyshroud Ridgeback
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf

// Pumps
2 [FUT] Llanowar Augur
3 [AL] Bounty of the Hunt
4 [WL] Briar Shield
4 [UL] Rancor
4 [NE] Seal of Strength
4 [B] Berserk

Risberg
11-21-2007, 06:00 PM
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
3 [LND] Forest (7)
4 [MM] Land Grant
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [b] Llanowar Elves
4 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide

// Creatures
4 [PT] Jungle Lion
3 [GP] Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 [NE] Skyshroud Ridgeback
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf

// Pumps
2 [FUT] Llanowar Augur
3 [AL] Bounty of the Hunt
4 [WL] Briar Shield
4 [UL] Rancor
4 [NE] Seal of Strength
4 [b] Berserk

My old version of stompy looked alot like this one, your deck focus more on the berserk combo than on the creatures. Or am i wrong ? My opinion is that those versions of the stompy can easy be stopped by countering some of the key cards. Very often they counterd my landgrant or destroyed my head creature "the one with the pump" before i got the time or chanse to berserk it. Its easier to focus on one creature than on two or more. So i rather play more creatures.

But it still looks like a bad as stompy deck :D

Gui
11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
About CHaPuZaS deck that you have posted here, it's probably one of the best decklists you will find working out... maybe a second collor splash could make it even more powerfull, but it's really awesome that a mono green aggro-combo deck could make this far... that's Great! ^^'