PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Garruk

Jak
11-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Garruk is most obviously the strongest of the Planeswalker. I saw it and though it was an amazing card. The ability to untap lands and be a very strong win condition struck my eye. It was also pointed out that Deed did not affect it. I was very pleased with this because Deed would fit perfectly into a deck with him. Being able to clear the board and then generate some awesome tokens. Another thing was that untapping 2 lands a turn means Counterspell mana open. Obviously that need to go in too. So I think a discussion should be started about the card. To get it going, here is a quick list that looks good on paper.

4 Tropical Island
4 Underground Sea
2 Bayou
4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
2 Windswept Heath
1 Island
1 Forest

4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Shriekmaw
3 Garruk

4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
3 Daze

4 Pernicious Deed
3 Reanimate

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder

I included Thresh's creature base because it is very strong. Reanimate is not bad, being able to steal creatures after you destroy them or getting back your own is nice. Unearth could also be used, but then no stealing and who wants that? So thoughts about the card or on the list would be awesome.

So Annoying My Account Is Banned
11-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Seems to me like Garruk would be better abused in a landstill deck, being able to put threats on the board without breaking the standstill is good. Also, you can cast a Garruk and use it's ability to put a standstill in play on turn 4 at least.

Also, reanimate seems awful.

You can also use Garruk to generate tons of mana if you play ancient tomb and city of traitors. perhaps Suntower stax could make a comeback with him?

thefreakaccident
11-22-2007, 12:50 AM
The man is right, Garruk can only be played in control decks that can effectively abuse his ability to power out their major disruption peices and gain control of the game sooner... Deed + low cc critters = disynergy.... I don't see why people are completely blind to this.

Look up BHWC landstill and you will have the deck to put it in.

Solpugid
11-22-2007, 01:14 AM
I agree that there are lots of people blind to deed dissynergy...so why the heck are you suggesting it in a landstill build that THRIVES on deed?? And GG is not so easy to come by in that build, so I'll just say that I disagree with you on its future in 4c Landstill.

That said, I don't think running deed should keep you from running Garruk. I see the two as great compliments to each other. Man I need to get my hands on some Garruks...

DeathwingZERO
11-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Something just sounds sexy to me combining this guy with Tangle Wire and Ports, etc.

Just the ability to drop him down, untap and place a Wire, then have the ability to untap two of your lands the next turn or creating 3/3's in the next coming turns while your opponent runs out of things to do seems rather stellar.

Anybody tried putting him into a lockdown deck yet? I'm thinking something along the lines of a x/G Stax style deck.

I'm also curious why people think this guy has dissynergy with Deed. Last I checked, you can play him, untap two lands, and blow the deed for x+2, or even play him (with a mana free), untap two lands, and then drop Deed for next turn, able to pump it for 2 more on that turn as well. You all seem to be forgetting that his main ability (and greatness) is the fact that he's acceleration after he drops, and that now makes Deed even more threatening, being able to hit fatties and weaklings, THEN going in with 3/3's after clearing the board.

The only problem I see with his synergy in multicolored Landstill builds is that there's very little chances to see 2GG when you want to.

thefreakaccident
11-22-2007, 01:51 AM
I agree that there are lots of people blind to deed dissynergy...so why the heck are you suggesting it in a landstill build that THRIVES on deed?? And GG is not so easy to come by in that build, so I'll just say that I disagree with you on its future in 4c Landstill.

That said, I don't think running deed should keep you from running Garruk. I see the two as great compliments to each other. Man I need to get my hands on some Garruks...

Deed cannot touch Garruk, as it only kills creatures, artifacts, and enchantments... not planeswalkers...

I was talking about the disynergy between the creatures and deed... Deed and Garruk can live quite happily together in the same deck.

Garruk is an idea for a landstill deck, seeing as it helps with colored mana issues and gives it more of what it needs... kill conditions.

CynicalSquirrel
11-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Garruk could actually be solid in my old Super Duper Green deck (Mono green aggro-control with Ports etc). I'll definitely have to try that out.

I also like the Standstill idea. He could make a decent finishing dude in some weird UG Fish deck.

Maveric78f
11-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Yep a GUb shell, with plow under, tangle wire, port, wasteland, counterspell, Fow, Standstill, brainstorm, stifle, deed, Temporal Spring is sexy.

Blue :
4 Brainstorm
4 FoW
4 Stifle
3 FoF
3 Counterspell

Green :
4 Garruk
4 Plow Under
4 Birds

Gold :
4 Deed

Artefact :
4 Tangle Wire

Lands (22) :
4 Wastelands
4 Ports
3 Trop
1 Bayou
1 Undergound Sea
7 fetches
1 island
1 forest

Maybe monoG splash B for cabal therapy and deed is the way to go ?

Mordenkain
11-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Yep a GUb shell, with plow under, tangle wire, port, wasteland, counterspell, Fow, Standstill, brainstorm, stifle, deed, Temporal Spring is sexy.

Blue :
4 Brainstorm
4 FoW
4 Stifle
3 FoF
3 Counterspell

Green :
4 Garruk
4 Plow Under
4 Birds

Gold :
4 Deed

Artefact :
4 Tangle Wire

Lands (22) :
4 Wastelands
4 Ports
3 Trop
1 Bayou
1 Undergound Sea
7 fetches
1 island
1 forest

Maybe monoG splash B for cabal therapy and deed is the way to go ?

I think this list very un-sexy, since you only have Garruk as your win-con.

I too he fits into a controlish stax/landstill type deck. Maybe some sort of G/W/b or maybe just G/W Stax stuff, with magus of the tabernacle and armageddon. Armageddon is actually tech with Garruk, since you convert two lands -> 4 lands because of garruk, and he as said can win the game on all his own.

I can't make a list for this right now, since I have limited experience with stax, but tangle wire and smokestack both have nice synergy with garruk.

My 2 cents.

- Mordenkain

Aernil
11-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Garruk + Stasis = Fun
Garruk + Trinisphere = Fun
Propaganda + Stasis = Fun

Hmmm...
I have no idea how to use Garruk^^

spirit of the wretch
11-22-2007, 07:27 AM
I played Garruk (and Jace...) in a U/B/G Landstill build at the last local tourney

4x Delta
3x Strand
3x Wasteland
4x Tropical
3x USea
4x Factory
2x Island
1x Swamp

2x Garruk
2x Jace

2x Crucible
4x Standstill
4x Brainstorm

3x Explosives
4x Deed
3x Damnation
4x Ghastly Demise

4x Counterspell
4x Force of Will

I played a very dissapointing 3/3/0 record partly because of real bad matchups (Solidarity, Lands.dec, Survival, Pox), partly because of me simply sucking (a harsh truth...).
Anyway, the planeswalkers were great all day, with Garruk beeing a house in that deck and Jace beeing better that Fact.

Solpugid
11-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Deed cannot touch Garruk, as it only kills creatures, artifacts, and enchantments... not planeswalkers...

My point above was, as you can tell, pretty poorly articulated (and even a tad rude, which I apologize for). The reason I mentioned deed dissynergy was that Garruk wins the game for you by creating 0cc bears, which die to a deed at any setting.

However, I agree that Garruk+Deed is awesome sauce. How much are Garruks going for these days anyway?

Jak
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
The man is right, Garruk can only be played in control decks that can effectively abuse his ability to power out their major disruption peices and gain control of the game sooner... Deed + low cc critters = disynergy.... I don't see why people are completely blind to this.

Look up BHWC landstill and you will have the deck to put it in.

It is obvious that there is dissynergy, but it shouldn't stop you from playing the creatures. You just need to know when to activate deed. When you are in a bad board position, activate it. It gives you outs. The creatures are there because the deck needs other ways to win and faster is better, IMO. Garruk could be cool in a mana denial/creature own package. 4 Maze of Ith, 4 Exploration, 4 Loam, 4 Waste, 4 Port... Basically 43 Lands, but cut a few cards or whatever for Tangle Wire and stuff.

Tao
11-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Garruk has also awesome synergy with Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors. I tried to make a deck once

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7420&highlight=elves

but it was just not good. But maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Pinder
11-22-2007, 01:48 PM
It is obvious that there is dissynergy, but it shouldn't stop you from playing the creatures. You just need to know when to activate deed.

Truth. Garruk can let you do things like pop Deed, untap two of those lands, throw down a Standstill, and make 3/3 beaters underneath it.

Seems pretty good to me.

Tao
11-22-2007, 05:51 PM
A green Staxx with Garruk could look like this. Wall of Roots is really good in Staxx as a permanent, colored Mana producer, acceleration and a great blocker.
Garruk has synergy with nearly every card in the deck. And, like I just found out in a game on MWS, he is totally retarded in the Staxx mirror.

// Lands
8 [8E] Forest (3)
4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
4 [TE] Wasteland
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [EX] City of Traitors

4 [SH] Mox Diamond
4 [TSB] Wall of Roots

4 [LOR] Garruk Wildspeaker

4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
4 [US] Smokestack
4 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
2 [DS] Trinisphere
4 [NE] Tangle Wire
3 [10E] Crucible of Worlds

3 [UD] Powder Keg

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 1 [UD] Powder Keg
SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [DIS] Indrik Stomphowler
SB: 4 [FD] Silent Arbiter

technogeek5000
11-22-2007, 09:04 PM
You might want to run 1 or 2 more forests. it seems like it would be difficult to get out double green without wall of roots.

blitz
11-23-2007, 09:04 PM
here's what I've been running for a few weeks on mws, and I'm surprised to see people giving nearly identical lists =D

Lands
4 City of Traitors
1 Academy Ruins
3 Ancient Tomb
8 Forest
2 Mishra's Factory
4 Wasteland

Creatures
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Wall of Roots

Spells
3 Plow Under
3 Crucible of Worlds
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Mox Diamond
4 Tangle Wire
4 Trinisphere
4 Smokestack
4 Chalice of the Void

Truthfully though, I think the deck still needs a way to reset the board when it reaches the mid-game. Tangle wire SORTA does this, and plow + SS certainly quickens the pace of them losing all their stuff, but it just doesn't seem as powerful as I'd like it to be =\

Bane of the Living
11-23-2007, 09:14 PM
here's what I've been running for a few weeks on mws, and I'm surprised to see people giving nearly identical lists =D

Lands
4 City of Traitors
1 Academy Ruins
3 Ancient Tomb
8 Forest
2 Mishra's Factory
4 Wasteland

Creatures
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Wall of Roots

Spells
3 Plow Under
3 Crucible of Worlds
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Mox Diamond
4 Tangle Wire
4 Trinisphere
4 Smokestack
4 Chalice of the Void

Truthfully though, I think the deck still needs a way to reset the board when it reaches the mid-game. Tangle wire SORTA does this, and plow + SS certainly quickens the pace of them losing all their stuff, but it just doesn't seem as powerful as I'd like it to be =\

Add Rishadin Ports somehow to compliment the Wire + SS abuse you have running. I dont think Ensnaring Bridge is the best option. I know this is a wacky idea but think about running Eladmari's Vineyard. It will allow you to cast anything in the deck and making sure you can cast Garruk turn 2. Then you can go up to 4 Plow Under and make sure Vineyard's mana doesnt devestate you when used by the opponent.

Maveric78f
11-24-2007, 03:28 AM
I would not play the randomness of academy ruins. I don't like mishra neither.
12 green mana sources with 4 of them FoWable looks quite random to me. Wall of roots should be replaced by lands to my mind.
7 new land slots : 1*ancient tomb, 4*vesuva (as you need double green but double wasteland can rule too), 2*forest. Instead of vesuva, you might consider treetop village too.
I would rather play 4*PU and 3*3S or 3*SS.

greenmage
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I would not play the randomness of academy ruins. I don't like mishra neither.
12 green mana sources with 4 of them FoWable looks quite random to me. Wall of roots should be replaced by lands to my mind.
7 new land slots : 1*ancient tomb, 4*vesuva (as you need double green but double wasteland can rule too), 2*forest. Instead of vesuva, you might consider treetop village too.
I would rather play 4*PU and 3*3S or 3*SS.

Wall of roots is a great defensive card and does a very good stop at slowing the initial onslaught of aggro.

It also synergizes very well with tanglewire.