PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Squee Infestation

Benie Bederios
11-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I was searching the boards for nothing particlary and I found an old Tread of the deck called ZAT. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3643

Anyway, the thread was quite old and I didn't want to Necro it. I kinda liked the idea of the deck and decided to test it. This was a very intresting deck, but I only liked game 1. After that I lost against all forms of graveyard hate.

Next to that I found a Vintage deck that used the same strategy as ZAT. It also used Bazaar of Baghdad. First thing I thought, I must remember this idea, until there isn't that much graveyard anyway, but a second later I thought, that will not happen unless they print a double sided colorless uncounterable indestructable free Leyline of the Void. And if that happens, well... this deck wouldn't work either.

After some testing I did this is the list I came up with

Lands
1 Swamp
2 Island
4 Underground Sea
2 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Cephalid Coliseum

Creatures
4 Squee Goblin Nabob
1 Wonder
1 Psychatog
4 Dark Confidant

Other
4 Careful Study
4 Brainstorm
4 Zombie Infestation
3 Ideas Unbound
4 Smother
1 Sickening Dreams
3 Cabal Therapy
3 Spell Snare
4 Force of Will
3 Intuition

Sideboard
1 Wonder
3 Pithing Needle
4 Chain of Vapor
4 Chalice of the Void

The idea is simple, just play control in the first few turns and try to resolve a Zombie Infestation. After that just create a Zombie Mob and run over your opponent.

I added Intuition to find three Squee Goblin Nabob's and dropped the Krovikan Horror. I'm not sure this is the right way to go.

Otherwise you can go -3 Intuition, -1 Brainstorm, +4 Krovikan Horror.

I added Dark Confidant to have some draw, without using the graveyard. Dropped Psychatog to 1, because you only need one to win.

I'm considering some cards still:

Compulsion: with Squee it's card draw, but it's quite expensive

Magus of the Bazaar: The closest thing to Bazaar of Baghdad. The problem is it can't beat and is very fragile and doesn't got haste.

Anyway tell me what you think.

BB

94teen
11-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I had a similar idea awhile back, but I ended up playing something slightly different.

I went GRB with my build. Red gives Gamble, Anger, Firestorm, and Devastating Dreams.

Green gives Life from the Loam and a dredge engine, as well as Wild Mongrel and Tarmogoyf.

Black gave Ichorids and Cabal Thearpies, as well as the namesake.

Just some ideas.

Your build looks really interesting, but I wonder why you'd play it over DAT or Tarmotog? Either way, I think LftL would be a great inclusion.

Jak
11-22-2007, 11:39 AM
If you add Compulsion, play Solitary Confinement. I also don't like Ideas Unbound and the 1 Sickening Dreams. They may be good with Squee, but making the deck more consistent will help. Then, with the 4 slots open, run some more disruption like Duress. Try to fit Ghastly Demise in the MD.

The SB looks bad. Why Chalice? Put Engineered Plague in there.

Benie Bederios
11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Allright, I think the green splash is worth a try. But how would you incorperate Life from the Loam? I know the trick with double cycle land, but that is awful slow and takes up quite some slots. I will remove the Ideas Unbound and the Sickening Dreams( both weren't very good from too) and the Psychatog. With Goyf in the deck I don't need Psychatog, I have beaters enough. I have to see how I fit the third color in though.

BB

Nihil Credo
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Look for a deck called Orlove Reanimator. It is very similar, but it does have the added angle of being able to just get an Akroma/Petradon/whatever into play.

Benie Bederios
11-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi,

After some working on the manabase this is the list I came up with a green splash.

4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
1 Swamp
2 Island
3 Wasteland
2 Mishra's Factory

4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Magus of the Bazaar
1 Wonder

3 Smother
3 Zombie Infestation
4 Careful Study
2 Life from the Loam
4 Daze
4 Thoughtseize
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will

The Mishra's Factories and Wasteland are in there for Life from the Loam recursion. Not sure if this is the best option. Another testing slot is Daze, it might not be the best inclusion because this deck might go in to the late game. Magus of the Bazaar is another testing slot instead of Dark Confidant. There are some advantages and disadvantages:

+ Pitches to Force of Will
+ no life loss
+ might draw 2 cards

- doesn't beat or trade
- Needleable
- Doesn't alway generate card advantage

I'm also working on a DAT list, but the problem I had with those lists, where that Tog sit dead in your hand, until you can win most of the time. In this deck you want to play a fast Infestation and sit back and defend your Infestation until you win, protecting a creature is also harder, than protecting a Enchantment.

I saw the Reanimator list, and it was certainly very intresting, but that deck is more Reanimator with added Squee and Zombie Infestation and with this deck Zombie Infestation the core of the deck.

BB

Mental
11-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi,

After some working on the manabase this is the list I came up with a green splash.

4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
1 Swamp
2 Island
3 Wasteland
2 Mishra's Factory

4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Magus of the Bazaar
1 Wonder

3 Smother
3 Zombie Infestation
4 Careful Study
2 Life from the Loam
4 Daze
4 Thoughtseize
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will

The Mishra's Factories and Wasteland are in there for Life from the Loam recursion. Not sure if this is the best option. Another testing slot is Daze, it might not be the best inclusion because this deck might go in to the late game. Magus of the Bazaar is another testing slot instead of Dark Confidant. There are some advantages and disadvantages:

+ Pitches to Force of Will
+ no life loss
+ might draw 2 cards

- doesn't beat or trade
- Needleable
- Doesn't alway generate card advantage

I'm also working on a DAT list, but the problem I had with those lists, where that Tog sit dead in your hand, until you can win most of the time. In this deck you want to play a fast Infestation and sit back and defend your Infestation until you win, protecting a creature is also harder, than protecting a Enchantment.

I saw the Reanimator list, and it was certainly very intresting, but that deck is more Reanimator with added Squee and Zombie Infestation and with this deck Zombie Infestation the core of the deck.

BB

If you want to drop a fast infestation and protect it until you win, why are you running 3?