PDA

View Full Version : Lock Down

Cane818
11-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Well I was just playing around with nether void, and I came up with this deck.
I was just hoping for any helpful feedback on the deck. Thank you.

// Lands
3 Flooded Strand
4 Karakas
3 Polluted Delta
4 Scrubland
1 Swamp
1 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors

// Creatures
4 Mangara of Corondor
4 Magus of the Tabernacle

// Spells
4 Nether Void
4 Death Pulse
4 Renewed Faith
4 Cataclysm
2 Decree of Pain
2 Decree of Justice
4 AEther Vial
4 Trinisphere

ClearSkies
11-27-2007, 08:51 AM
It seems like you are trying to do too much at once...

Karakas are pretty much dead without Mangara. Vial doesn't seem to fit with only 8 creatures, and you have to set it to either 3 or 4.

What is your reason for Death Pulse and Renewed Faith?

Are you trying to win with the Mangara-Karakas-Vial-Nether Void setup after a Cataclysm?

Iranon
11-27-2007, 09:48 AM
The deck is full of extremely limited interactions (like Vials - that won't do anything for several turns - and a total of 8 creatures, or the Managara lock). It's as if the all of the unwieldy decks in the format had sex and this is the offspring:

This can be a clunkier Stax (no Moxen, final lock needs a lot more investment than a Smokestack, your board control tools are less synergetic with your disruption) or a very clunky board control deck (few relevant early-game plays).

At a first glance, I'd say too many things need to go right with your current approach; if they do the deck will dominate many decks but I wouldn't fancy my chances; the combination of little early game and - albeit strong - conditional/vulnerable control tools would scare me.

Cane818
11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Should I incress the amount of creatures and drop some of the cycle spells cycle spells. I was also trying to find a better way of getting large amounts of mana without using Ancient Tomb or City of Traitors. I was thinking is there a good way to make mana with artifacts.

About this being a bastard lovechild of lots of other deck well it is.

I personally like:
Karakas + Mangara of Corondor + AEther Vial
Magus of the Tabernacle + Armageddon
Also I like rifter so I said what the hell and played all the janky cycling cards.

ClearSkies
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Should I incress the amount of creatures and drop some of the cycle spells cycle spells. I was also trying to find a better way of getting large amounts of mana without using Ancient Tomb or City of Traitors. I was thinking is there a good way to make mana with artifacts.

About this being a bastard lovechild of lots of other deck well it is.

I personally like:
Karakas + Mangara of Corondor + AEther Vial
Magus of the Tabernacle + Armageddon
Also I like rifter so I said what the hell and played all the janky cycling cards.

If you increase the amount of creatures, then one of two things will happen:
1) Your Magus of the Tabernacle starts to hurt you alot
2) You can't keep your additional creatures because of Magus of the Tabernacle (or Magus is dead in your hand)

However, if you don't add enough creatures, your Aether Vials is not good enough at all.

Also, you don't seem to have any card drawing or filter/cantrip to get all those pieces you need. (The pieces by themselves don't do all that much either)

If you going to play Cataclysm, how about Flagstones of Tolkair?

Cavius The Great
11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Well I was just playing around with nether void, and I came up with this deck.
I was just hoping for any helpful feedback on the deck. Thank you.

// Lands
3 Flooded Strand
4 Karakas
3 Polluted Delta
4 Scrubland
1 Swamp
1 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors

// Creatures
4 Mangara of Corondor
4 Magus of the Tabernacle

// Spells
4 Nether Void
4 Death Pulse
4 Renewed Faith
4 Cataclysm
2 Decree of Pain
2 Decree of Justice
4 AEther Vial
4 Trinisphere

I've always liked decks that make your opponent feel like they're getting raped. As a sidenote, have you considered Sunscour? I've developed a BW Nether Void list as well and I've always liked the thought of a free 'wrath' right before dropping a nether void. I also think that Vindicate and Sinkhole are nice little tools to ensure you maintain that land lock that you're trying to achieve. All in all I like the deck idea and think that if it's developed further, we might have a decent archetype. Extra kudos to you for posting the list. :wink: I also think that Thoughtseize should be run as well to ensure an uncounterable Nether Void. Swords to Plowshares, Mox Diamond, Disenchant and that white Horsemanship, vigilance, legendary, creature also come to mind as decent card choices. The legendary horsemanship rare from Portal Three Kingdoms also provide a decent kill condition, as well as another legendary creature target for Karakas.