PDA

View Full Version : Trinket Affinity

Bongo
11-27-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm trying a new version of Affinity. Not much testing has been done yet, but it shows some promise.

Mana 18:
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
3 Chrome Mox

Creatures 22:
4 Ornithopter
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Frogmite
3 Myr Enforcer
3 Trinket Mage

Disruption 12:
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Pithing Needle
1 Tormods Crypt
4 Force of Will
2 Cranial Plating

Draw 8:
4 Thoughtcast
4 Thirst for Knowledge

SB:

Toolbox:
1 Pithing Needle
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Tormods Crypt

4 Sphere of Resistance
2 Cranial Plating
2 Stifle
3 Umezawa's Jitte

The idea behind the deck is to use the aggro Affinity shell and back it up with effective disruption and a draw/tutor engine.

Disruption - Chalice is really nice as you can reliably cast it for 0 and 1 on the first turn, all while being Ravager fodder and an Affinity booster.
The blue count for Force is 15, which I admit is on the low side. But with Thoughtcast and Thirst for Knowledge, you should be able to draw into enough blue cards.

Tutor/Draw package - Trinket Mage fulfills many functions as a tutor/Force fodder/beater and can be cast consistently on the second turn if needed. The toolbox adds a new dimension to a one-sided deck such as Affinity and gives you a lot of options.
Thirst for Knowledge gives you the much-needed fuel to keep the engine going. Together with Thoughtcast, it adds another facet to Affinity, which didn't have so much card-drawing before.

The toolbox in the sideboard should be obvious, EE is mostly for clearing EtW and Bridge tokens as you can only set it at 0 or 1.
Sphere of Resistance comes in against Combo, Threshold and slow control. Cranial Plating is for the matches where you don't need Chalice or Force and accelerates your kill. Jitte is for all aggro matches.
Stifle is still an open slot, but so far, I like its versatility.

Let me know what you think!

Jak
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
You play 15 colored cards... And that is supposed to support FoW and Chrome Mox?

Afro
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
You play 15 colored cards... And that is supposed to support FoW and Chrome Mox?

Chalice Affinity did this to some moderate success....I think.

Bongo
11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
The blue count for Force is 15, which I admit is on the low side. But with Thoughtcast and Thirst for Knowledge, you should be able to draw into enough blue cards.

Besides, you don't have to imprint a blue card on the Mox, sometimes it's enough if it boosts the Affinity count.

ebbitten
11-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Tormod's crypt>unimprinted mox

So Annoying My Account Is Banned
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Tormod's crypt>unimprinted mox

seconded

Main deck crypt isn't so bad of an idea anyways.

So uhh, what's the point of having trinket mage again? being able to tutor up for pithing needle and crypt seems really under whelming, I would rather go for a more aggro route with this deck.

Jak
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Chalice Affinity did this to some moderate success....I think.

I don;t think they played Chrome Mox though.

kabal
11-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I don;t think they played Chrome Mox though.

They did (http://www.germagic.de/dc/deck.php?id=7350).

Cavius The Great
11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm trying a new version of Affinity. Not much testing has been done yet, but it shows some promise.

Mana 18:
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
3 Chrome Mox

Creatures 22:
4 Ornithopter
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Frogmite
3 Myr Enforcer
3 Trinket Mage

Disruption 12:
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Pithing Needle
1 Tormods Crypt
4 Force of Will
2 Cranial Plating

Draw 8:
4 Thoughtcast
4 Thirst for Knowledge

SB:

Toolbox:
1 Pithing Needle
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Tormods Crypt

4 Sphere of Resistance
2 Cranial Plating
2 Stifle
3 Umezawa's Jitte

The idea behind the deck is to use the aggro Affinity shell and back it up with effective disruption and a draw/tutor engine.

Disruption - Chalice is really nice as you can reliably cast it for 0 and 1 on the first turn, all while being Ravager fodder and an Affinity booster.

Tutor/Draw package - Trinket Mage fulfills many functions as a tutor/Force fodder/beater and can be cast consistently on the second turn if needed. The toolbox adds a new dimension to a one-sided deck such as Affinity and gives you a lot of options.
Thirst for Knowledge gives you the much-needed fuel to keep the engine going. Together with Thoughtcast, it adds another facet to Affinity, which didn't have so much card-drawing before.

The toolbox in the sideboard should be obvious, EE is mostly for clearing EtW and Bridge tokens as you can only set it at 0 or 1.
Sphere of Resistance comes in against Combo, Threshold and slow control. Cranial Plating is for the matches where you don't need Chalice or Force and accelerates your kill. Jitte is for all aggro matches.
Stifle is still an open slot, but so far, I like its versatility.

Let me know what you think!

Why on earth are you not playing Sensei's Divining Top?

Nihil Credo
11-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Because with only 3 Trinket Mages as shuffle effects, most of the time Top will just be a bad cantrip.

kirdape3
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Not playing Disciple of the Vault simply can't be right. You need a lot less disruption if your opponent's dead on turn 3 because you drew two of these guys.

I'd actually ship Force of Will, Thirst for Knowledge, and Chalice of the Void for Cabal Therapy, Disciple of the Vault, and potentially 2 Thoughtseize, 1 Sensei's Divining Top, and the third Cranial Plating. This will force the alteration of the manabase but it's not something that will really kill you that often. Chrome Mox can also get out for AEther Vial, but you want about 19 lands in this deck.

EDIT: Used 'simply' twice in the first sentence, which is just poor.

Wallace
11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Why not just play...Affinity... I mean the build that is being played now works just fine. I really don't see a reason to add Trinket mage to the deck?

Maëlig
11-28-2007, 06:05 AM
It's funny, I was just thinking of a mono-B affinity list on the same general idea (less aggro, more disruption/late-game plan). I think affinity has great potential in a more controlish shell, because the main problem of raffinity is its vulnerability to combo (like most aggro) and to board sweepers/hate card (even more than other aggro : deed or shattering spree can ruin you on its own). I will try to post my mono-B list one of these days.
So I don't think that "just playing affinity" or "going for the 3rd turn kill" (which usually involve sacrificing all to an atog that will get sworded, which is the best way to lose the game) is so good, and anyways this is another version, so please don't bring it back to the 'classic' one of affinity (although comparison can always be useful).
This being said, I really like your list. How have the testings been going? Not too sure on chrome mox either, as has already been said.
Also, have you thought of replacing the tombs and cities for simple islands, which gives you a much more stable mana base (as it is now a magus of the moon is an automatic loss) and maybe the possibility to run daze or other blue cards (improving the quality of fow at the same time).
Ah and finally, no somber hoverguard? How come?