PDA

View Full Version : trinity green

paragon22
11-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Hello all,

I've loved Trinity Green since Urza's/Masques Standard, and I was wondering if it is at all viable in Legacy. I threw together a deck the other day, and it seems to have pretty good matchups all around, although it's an uphill battle against Combo and Pernicious Deed. Here's the list:

Land (22)
15 Forest
4 Rishadan Port
2 Gaea's Cradle
1 Pendlehaven

Creatures (28)
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
4 Skyshroud Poacher
4 Masticore
3 Deranged Hermit
3 Imperious Perfect
1 Viridian Zealot
1 Eternal Witness

Other (10)
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Umezawa's Jitte

For the sideboard I've been using:
4 Viridian Shaman
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Trinisphere
3 Krosan Grip
3 ?

There are a few questions I'd like your guys' opinion on:

Should the deck splash a second color? Black springs to mind, as we have access to Thoughtseize, Duress, and Leyline of the Void.

Should I use Rofellos or Ancient Tombs? Rofellos is definitely awesome if left unchecked, but with Ancient Tomb fewer forest can be run, leaving room for a splash and/or Mishra's Factory (like Trinity Rock).

Rishadan Port or Wasteland?

Garruk's absolutely insane in this deck, as is Imperious Perfect. 4 Masticores might seem like a lot, but it's excellent against any creature deck (duh) and can block Tarmogoyf all day long as well as beating for 4.

Obviously the sideboard needs help...

Overall, Trinity Green is a fun and pretty powerful deck, but I haven't played it much in Legacy, so a lot more testing needs to be done.

So Annoying My Account Is Banned
11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Is there an inherit advantage to not playing some fetches in this deck?

I would probably keep Roffelos in there. Most of your cards seem to have double green in their casting cost, so ancient tomb wouldn't really speed up the deck all too much, it would probably end up hindering.

insertnamehere
11-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I played this deck a while back and often ran Rishadan Pawnshop which allows you to shuffle a permanent you own back into your library for :2:

Baumeister
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry if I seem ignorant, but I want to post my thoughts on this deck. Does anybody remember Angry Hermit from Urza/Masques Standard a while back? It seems that deck has the same game plan as this one, only it's more solid. It splashes red for more land destruction. Here's the list:

Land (25)
11x Forest
2x Mountain
4x Karplusan Forest
4x Rishadan Port
2x Treetop Village
2x Gaea's Cradle

Creatures (27)
4x Avalanche Riders
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Deranged Hermit
3x Masticore
2x Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
3x Skyshroud Poacher
3x Yavimaya Elder

Other Spells (8)
4x Arc Lightning
4x Plow Under

Sideboard (15)
2x Ancient Hydra
4x Blastoderm
2x Boil
1x Masticore
1x Splinter
3x Thran Foundry
2x Uktabi Orangutan

Of course, adding fetches and duals would be the first step.

This is one of my favorite casual decks to play because of the power it can unleash off good draws. I remember you could drop Avalanche Riders AND Plow Under turn three effectively reseting your opponent to turn 0 and making them draw only land for 2 turns. Arc Lightning was there for card advantage because there were a lot of weenie decks running around at the time. Just my thoughts.

Tao
11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I've been toying around with Monogreen Midrange and came to the conclusion that it has big problems. While it is good at dropping heavy threats, it is just too bad at keeping the opponent from doing that.
If your opponent has a fast Sea Drake he will race you, if he plays Combo, you will lose anyway, if he has Deed you are screwed, if he goes Matron into Sharpshooter you are screwed. I went through it.

Anyway, if you want to try to fix some problems, start with Ancient Tomb, maybe even some Cities of Traitors. They accelerate, are nice with Garruk (for example T1 Elf, T2 Tomb, Garruk, untap, 3-drop) and help you casting the big threats if your elves go down.

But probably the red and blue versions, Faerie Stompy and Dragon Stompy / Empty the Slogger, are superior because they have disruption that Green just has nothing closely similar to (8 Moons / Force of Will, Trinket Mage toolbox).

GreenOne
11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
This was my list back when i was testing it:
// Lands
1 [US] Gaea's Cradle
20 [RAV] Forest (1)

// Creatures
3 [UD] Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 [DIS] Loaming Shaman
4 [FD] Eternal Witness
4 [MI] Wall of Roots
1 [EX] Spike Weaver
1 [UL] Deranged Hermit
3 [5E] Llanowar Elves
1 [TE] Verdant Force
2 [ON] Ravenous Baloth
1 [DIS] Indrik Stomphowler
4 [MR] Troll Ascetic
1 [ON] Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
2 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves

// Spells
4 [VI] Natural Order
4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
2 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 3 [A] Tsunami
SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [9E] Silklash Spider

Playing a lot less elves helps vs plague and the like. Natural order into Verdant force is a good foil to Pernicious deed. The equipments help vs wrath effects: a sngle elf can be a problem with a SoFI.

paragon22
12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
@Green One: Your deck is not really Trinity, but Secret Force. I like the list though. Maybe there could be a hybrid Trinity/Force deck, something like:

Land (21)

15 Forest
4 Wasteland
2 Gaea's Cradle

Creatures (32)

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Wall of Roots
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Troll Ascetic
2 Rofellos
3 Masticore
3 Deranged Hermit