PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Goblin Champions

rufus
12-06-2007, 01:08 PM
A digression from the Food Chain/Evoke abuse thread. This is really more of an attempt to abuse the goblin tribal and champion mechanics...

4x Goblin Lackey
4x Goblin Matron
4x Goblin Ringleader
2x Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker
2x Goblin Pyromancer

4x Changeling Titan
4x Boggart Mob

4x Enlightened Tutor
4x Food Chain
4x Trinisphere
4x Thorn of Amethyst

4x Chrome Mox
4x Ancient Tomb
2x City of Traitors
4x City of Brass
4x Gemstone Mine

Sideboard:
4x Krosan Grip
4x Duress
4x Chalice of the Void
3x Lotus Petal

The Wes
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Whats up with the lotus petal in the sb? And only 14 lands? Seems like you could get in a lot of trouble against wastelands.

Willoe
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
so, your main goal is to swarm the opponent or what? Please explain yourself! If so, I would agree that the pyromancer's pretty damn good. However, this deck needs some ways to create even more gobbos. Mogg War Marshal, Goblin Marshal, Siege-Gang Commander etc. Also, wouldn't changeling berserker fit better into your deck?

rufus
12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
so, your main goal is to swarm the opponent or what? Please explain yourself! If so, I would agree that the pyromancer's pretty damn good. However, this deck needs some ways to create even more gobbos. Mogg War Marshal, Goblin Marshal, Siege-Gang Commander etc. Also, wouldn't changeling berserker fit better into your deck?

Obviously still a work in progress.

There's a bit of bootstrapping, but idea is to combo out by having Kiki-Jiki copy Goblin Matron, which tutors for a Champion that is used to reset Kiki-Jiki, then repeating the process to produce a bunch of Goblin Matron tokens, and then top it off with the Pyromancer.

The backup idea is trinisphere/aggro.

rufus
12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Whats up with the lotus petal in the sb? And only 14 lands? Seems like you could get in a lot of trouble against wastelands.

You're right, dual/fetch may be a better idea, especially since the deck is primarily red, and does want to page through itself. There are also, almost certainly, better SB choices.

Slayer001
12-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Lotus petal should defenately be in Maindeck because you are using 3 different colors, GRW, you could come in mana problems

and yes duals and fetch are better

ClearSkies
12-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Obviously still a work in progress.

There's a bit of bootstrapping, but idea is to combo out by having Kiki-Jiki copy Goblin Matron, which tutors for a Champion that is used to reset Kiki-Jiki, then repeating the process to produce a bunch of Goblin Matron tokens, and then top it off with the Pyromancer.

The backup idea is trinisphere/aggro.

But you can only pull out the Champion four times right? (And "reset" Kiki for 4 more times) Or did you not explain something else about the combo?

I think I am probably missing something here though...

Also, I see a lack of Warchief and Piledriver. A goblin deck without those is definally wrong, right?

Zork
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Warchief seems like some-good towards mana production, plus it lets you switch to regular goblin card advantage if you need to.

As for the combo, you have 8 champions to tutor for. Also, Champion in play + kiki seems like an infinite mana loop. Kiki copies champion, then sac champion token for 1 mana of any color, kiki returns untapped, repeat as necessary. This then lets you combo out however you want to.

rufus
12-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Warchief seems like some-good towards mana production, plus it lets you switch to regular goblin card advantage if you need to.

As for the combo, you have 8 champions to tutor for. Also, Champion in play + kiki seems like an infinite mana loop. Kiki copies champion, then sac champion token for 1 mana of any color, kiki returns untapped, repeat as necessary. This then lets you combo out however you want to.

The combo actually already has issues because it produces too much mana. Also, I thought that mana cost was copied.

Cavius The Great
12-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't Goblin Sharpshooter be good here? If not maybe Demonfire or Kaervek's Torch. I also think that there is a really expensive goblin that's an X-spell on a stick. This would be perfect here.

EDIT: Goblin Dynamo is the X-Spell on a stick. I think this card might be the perfect kill condition for the deck since it's searchable and can make use of infinite mana. What do you guys think? an auto-include?

insertnamehere
12-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't Goblin Sharpshooter be good here? If not maybe Demonfire or Kaervek's Torch. I also think that there is a really expensive goblin that's an X-spell on a stick. This would be perfect here.

EDIT: Goblin Dynamo is the X-Spell on a stick. I think this card might be the perfect kill condition for the deck since it's searchable and can make use of infinite mana. What do you guys think? an auto-include?

I favor Cavius' thought of running Sharpshooter. My question is WTF is the Food Chain for. I didn't see any x spells. Ditch the green idea and put more Black in for additonals Goblins. Also I do not think running Trinisphere and Thorn is needed. Where is you basic mana (gg against back to Basics and Wasteland)

Slayer001
12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Uhm food chain makes to much mana and you can only use it to play creatures, so you can't use it for demonfire or goblin dynamo. Or do I misunderstand this ?

rufus
12-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Uhm food chain makes to much mana and you can only use it to play creatures, so you can't use it for demonfire or goblin dynamo. Or do I misunderstand this ?

No, that's right. I think the deck wants 1 Panglacial Wurm to act as a mana sink.

Cavius The Great
12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Why not just run 4 maga, traitor to mortals? Or just a couple and two Worldly Tutors.

rufus
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Why not just run 4 maga, traitor to mortals? Or just a couple and two Worldly Tutors.

Because the card engine is goblin oriented.

Cavius The Great
12-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Because the card engine is goblin oriented.

Then just run Goblin Sharpshooter and Seige Gang and sac all of the tokens for 20+ damage to your opponent's dome.

insertnamehere
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM

I can't figure out why Food Chain is in the deck. The deck should already be fast enough.

94teen
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Then just run Goblin Sharpshooter and Seige Gang and sac all of the tokens for 20+ damage to your opponent's dome.

Food Chain doesn't let you play creature abilities. You'd need Skirk Prospector or something similar to let you untap the sharpshooter.

Cavius The Great
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Food Chain doesn't let you play creature abilities. You'd need Skirk Prospector or something similar to let you untap the sharpshooter.

sharpshooter doesn't require mana to activate. It would work perfectly fine in the deck.

Happy Gilmore
12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Oo, I really love changeling berzerker, atleast as a 1 of. You also only need 1 Changeling Titan, just add a Wort instead of one other, a berzerker instead of another, and maybe something good like Tarmogoyf.

Sims
12-09-2007, 03:27 PM
sharpshooter doesn't require mana to activate. It would work perfectly fine in the deck.

I believe you are misinterperting what he is saying. He was replying to using SGC and throwing tokens + sharpshooter to win, by saying that you can't use Food Chain mana to activate the SGC's ability. This is correct, so you would need prospector to sacrifice goblins for both Sharpshooter activations and mana to use SGC's ability.

Sharpshooter + Food Chain in and of itself is not a combo, as Food Chain doesn't trigger the Shooters untap ability.

rufus
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Thread necromancy and all that, but the Lightning Crafter in Morningtide looks like an great way for a deck like this to win.

Nightmare
01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
This deck needs WAY more Digeridoo.

zulander
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I think 4 thron 4 trinisphere is too much taxing in the deck. This isn't goblin stax.

GreenOne
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't think the artifacts are needed at all: the deck can be just an accelerated version of goblins that can combo out of nowhere.

Here's the kind of list i'm talking about:
Lands
4 Bloodstained mire
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga
6 Mountain
4 Ancient Tomb
1 City of Traitors

Creatures
1 Gempalm Incinerator
1 Siege-Gang Commander
1 Changeling Berserker
2 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Lightning Crafter
2 Goblin Pyromancer
4 Goblin Ringleader
4 Goblin Matron

// Spells
4 Food Chain
2 Chrome Mox

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 Blood Moon
SB: 4 Thorn of Amethyst
SB: 4 Trinisphere

The deck can be plain RG now, for a more focused manabase, it already plays the staples of goblins (outside Fanatic) and tries to overcome the lack of Vial with the acceleration provided by moxes and City/Tomb. One good thing I noticed is that food chain is rarely a dead card, as goblin's hand is usually full of cards thanks to the draw engine. Food chain can power up fast wins just because of its raw power.

These are the matches I played in my brief testing last week with boggart mob in place of Lightning Crafter

vs Rw Goblins 2-0:
G1 - I combo turn 3 with him tapped out.
G2 - I stall the ground for a couple turns with a boggart mob, then combo on turn 5.

vs 4c Landstill 2-0:
G1 - No answer to a Turn 1 lackey.
G2 - He taps out for a pernicious deed on turn 3 with me having only a Matron and Ringleader in play. I play Food Chain and win from here.

Willoe
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
how much better is the optimal vial goblins from this build?

GreenOne
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
A lot.

Bryant Cook
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Please make FCG possible again. That was my first favorite deck to play, <3 the memories.

Willoe
01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
The banning of recruiter hurts the deck a lot :/

Sanguine Voyeur
01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
A lot.Care to back up this claim? Vial Goblins was the deck to beat for quite a while.

Sims
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Care to back up this claim? Vial Goblins was the deck to beat for quite a while.

Unless I'm mis-reading Willoe, I think Green means that an Optimized Vial Goblins is "A Lot" better than this deck.

GreenOne
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Unless I'm mis-reading Willoe, I think Green means that an Optimized Vial Goblins is "A Lot" better than this deck.

Exactly. The deck has a bit more of speed, but loses a lot of consistency(especially the inevitability of Vial). This is especially true now that Gobbos are gaining a good amount of playable cards now (thinking of Wort + the new tribal edict, those add lot at the "control" part of the deck).
The good part is that Vial Goblins usually play a straight game. The opponent can calculate accurately if you can win now or later. That allows them to tap out for something on first turns while you charge your Vial or play some non-broken gobbos (fanatic, tin street, sharpshooter).
With this deck you can just play Food Chain when they are tapped out and combo.

I really won't play this deck evar in tournaments (outside being extremely cool), but it's a good thing to keep eyes open for this deck coming out from nowhere. And maybe there are some new cards in this Tribal Set we can exploit.