PDA

View Full Version : Affinity stax

DeepfriedDynamite
12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
The background is very boring for this deck so ill just start with the list.

4 Myr enforcer
4 Frogmite
4 Thoughtcast
4 Archbound ravager
4 Somber hover guard

4 Smokestack
4 Chalice of the void
3 Trinisphere
3 Crucible

4 Ancient tomb
4 wasteland
4 Mox diamond
4 City of traitors
3 Island
4 seat of synod
4 Darksteel Citidel

The deck has been working realy well for me lately, but it seems to be lacking a little oomph that some of the other decks have. The deck has a bad aggro matchup, probably because it lacks the mass taxing/removal that other stax decks have. But in turn the deck is more explosive... playing lock pieces and win cons on the same turn. This gives it a slightly better control matchup. Also the deck is better then normal in the mirror. The only major problem i have been having with the deck is the disynergy between trinisphere and the affinity cards. i was thinking that sphere of thorn might be better here. Thorn is better with the affinity creatures, but is less effective aginst aggro-control, the decks weaker matchup so i guess sphere would be better. Some other options are tanglewire and propaganda. What im looking to do is get the numbers right for this deck and get the right lock pieces.

Thoughts?

kicks_422
12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Yep, 3Sphere looks so bad in an Affinity list - maybe if your creatures were 5/3's, 3Spheres would be good. I'd drop them for Thorns.

I actually have an unpowered Vintage list of something like, but of course Chalice is much more relevant there because of the Moxen. I'd have to say that 16 threats isn't good enough, though.

Media314r8
12-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Excuse me, WTF ru doin? Affinity isn't played because it has undercosted grizzley bears. (and a 4/4 thats looks like it comes down turn 3/4 at earliest, barring chalcie at 0) Affinity is broken because of disciple/ravager and cranial plating, whcih turns every creature into a threat.

Boo on 3sphere.

Eldariel
12-07-2007, 06:46 PM
They just printed Thorn of Amethyst. That and Sphere of Resistance are amazing in Affinity. The rest is garbage, aside from tempocards like Tangle Wire, and even then, you need to build the manabase so you can cast 3-drops. Chalice works as an SB-cards or in AfFoWnity-style. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

DeepfriedDynamite
12-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Excuse me, WTF ru doin? Affinity isn't played because it has undercosted grizzley bears. (and a 4/4 thats looks like it comes down turn 3/4 at earliest, barring chalcie at 0) Affinity is broken because of disciple/ravager and cranial plating, whcih turns every creature into a threat.

Boo on 3sphere.

Im not trying to build a affinity list. What i was trying to do was build a aggro prison deck that can play its threats at the same time as its disruption. The affinity cards just happen to be realy good at doing this so i used them. Since i tested the list on MWS and 3sphere was no good i switched it to propaganda and its been working for me. Sphere and thorn both slow down my lock pieces so im a little hesitant to use them. Im also gonna test out wire and see how it goes.