PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Affinity

KingAlanI
12-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Is affinity viable in Legacy if done correctly? I'd like to try. Here's something I'm just starting to work on:

Basic Land (4)
3 * Island
1 * Swamp

Artifact Land (19)
4 * Ancient Den
4 * Seat of the Synod
4 * Vault of Whispers
4 * Great Furnace
3 * Darksteel Citadel

Nonartifact Creature (6)
4 * Disciple of the Vault
2 * Mishra, Artificer Prodigy

Artifact Creature (16)
4 * Frogmite
4 * Ornithopter
4 * Myr Enforcer
4 * Arcbound Ravager

Sorcery (4)
4 * Thoughtcast

Instant (3)
3 * Shrapnel Blast

Artifact [noncreature nonland] (8)
4 * Chromatic Star
4 * Cranial Plating

Sideboard I have no idea, except for Tormod's Crypt.

I don't think Goyf or Bob are necessary, and I don't want to pay for them either. :)

I like Shrapnel blast over Fling.

ClearSkies
12-08-2007, 12:38 AM
So, wheres the Aether Vial?

Yes, Affinity can work in Legacy in the right metagame...

I don't think Mishra is good in this deck. Seems like a win-more card.

Vial Affinity thread:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4566&highlight=affinity

Banelich
12-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Affinity was cool for awhile, still can be.

I had a Affinity deck that consistantly finished 1st or 2nd for 5 weeks in a row in 1.5, of course then they banned clamp. DOH

I agree with clearskys ditch the Mish, its spread the manabase, wastes time & makes you actually need the Chromatic Star, not that their bad for draw & / or fodder.

if you do this then Ancient Dens are unneeded, so concider;

-1 Ancient Den
-3 Darksteel Citadel
+4 Lotus Petals

-2 Mishra
+2 Tendrils of Agony

-1 Myr Enforcer
-1 Cranial Plating
-2 Chromatic Star
+4 Dark Rituals

Other cards for consideration, Brain Freeze, Reaping the Graves, Fecundity, Culling the Weak & Blood Pet (adds to storm count and replaces it own cc)

Me personnally, I gave up on Affinity when Skullclamp went bye-bye.
There just wasn't a build that even compared to what a clamp can do, so until a few other cards that go good in the mix come out, or Clamp gets unbanned (I give it 7-8 years) ......Affinity can eat me

Metaknight
12-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Affinity was cool for awhile, still can be.

I had a Affinity deck that consistantly finished 1st or 2nd for 5 weeks in a row in 1.5, of course then they banned clamp. DOH

I agree with clearskys ditch the Mish, its spread the manabase, wastes time & makes you actually need the Chromatic Star, not that their bad for draw & / or fodder.

if you do this then Ancient Dens are unneeded, so concider;

-1 Ancient Den
-3 Darksteel Citadel
+4 Lotus Petals

-2 Mishra
+2 Tendrils of Agony

-1 Myr Enforcer
-1 Cranial Plating
-2 Chromatic Star
+4 Dark Rituals

Other cards for consideration, Brain Freeze, Reaping the Graves, Fecundity, Culling the Weak & Blood Pet (adds to storm count and replaces it own cc)

Me personnally, I gave up on Affinity when Skullclamp went bye-bye.
There just wasn't a build that even compared to what a clamp can do, so until a few other cards that go good in the mix come out, or Clamp gets unbanned (I give it 7-8 years) ......Affinity can eat me

why are you trying to make affinity into combo when its only purpose is aggro. that may be why you never found a good build. ClearSkies is right though, aether vial is a must in any affinity deck, and also about the mish. it doesn't help the deck enough to lose the mana stability. I'm curious why you like Blast over fling? In all my testing, and it has been a lot, i have always preferred fling. My side was for a heavy gobs, and Beltcher meta, so there were E. Plagues, Blue Blasts, annul, and needle. A friend of mine ran discard in his side, to combat the combo match up, and it seemed to work fairly well.

Banelich
12-08-2007, 03:33 AM
why are you trying to make affinity into combo when its only purpose is aggro.

Good call, the build I had when clamps where around, was A.T.&T (Affinity, Tendrils & Tangle Wire) which at the time just straight owned. I guess I was too busy crying over my precious clamps to try turning the deck back to straight Affinity.

Oros, the Avenger
12-08-2007, 03:49 AM
My Affinity Decklist looks like this:
// Lands
4 [MR] Glimmervoid
4 [MR] Vault of Whispers
3 [MR] Seat of the Synod
3 [MR] Great Furnace
2 [DS] Blinkmoth Nexus
1 [MR] Ancient Den

// Creatures
4 [DS] Arcbound Worker
4 [DS] Arcbound Ravager
3 [MR] Myr Retriever
3 [MR] Atog
3 [MR] Disciple of the Vault
4 [MR] Frogmite
3 [AQ] Ornithopter
2 [MR] Myr Enforcer

// Spells
4 [MR] Thoughtcast
4 [RAV] Terrarion
4 [FD] Cranial Plating
3 [DS] AEther Vial
2 [SH] Fling

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [4E] Disenchant
SB: 3 [US] Duress
SB: 3 [RAV] Dark Confidant
SB: 3 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [IA] Circle of Protection: Red

The CoP:R is against Burn, the MU i think is really bad without it. Crypt against Ichorid, Disruption against Combo Disenchant against Needle etc. Confi can be boarded to get more card advantage, but when you do it, take out the Enforcers. Terrarion could be C. Star, Atog kills with Fling, Ravager is simply awsome. Plating makes a finisher out of every creature.

meanee
12-08-2007, 04:43 AM
My teams affinity decklist for reference:

4 seat of the synod
4 vault of whispers
4 tree of tales
4 great furnace
3 city of brass

4 PITHING NEEDLE
4 AETHER VIAL
(maybe the two most important cards in the deck - they're good I tell you)
4 thoughtcast
4 chromatic star
1 chromatic sphere/night's whisper/pyroclasm/tormod's crypt/whatever

4 ravager
4 atog
4 enforcer
4 tarmogoyf
4 frogmite
4 disicple

Sideboard consists of some mix of ancient grudge/serum powder/pyroclasm/Leyline of the void/discardspells/krosan grip/whatever you need to beat your meta...

It is a very resistant build, and trust me, the needles are good! They make it so that you have a chance against things like 4 c landstill (which this deck beats to crap), and belcher and other - normally - ugly match-ups.
Play vial! It is probably the most important card if you want to win anything with this deck. Oh, and the manabase actually works wonders. It is very staple and I have almost never been raped by it.
The overall plan with this deck is consistancy and aggresiveness. And that actually works.

- meanee

Oros, the Avenger
12-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Why City of Brass when you could run Glimmervoid? I think also that Cranial Plating+Ornithopter also works wonders. Its simply awsome to get a 9/2 guy with evasion, along with the other creatures you have.

Sanguine Voyeur
12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
There's already a length Affinity thread over here (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4566).

Before this is closed; The original deck runs too many lands, too many basic lands, and too many Mishras. Affinity runs 0 Mishras and 16-18 lands, most of which are artifact lands.

meanee
12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
On (I admit, rare) occasions glimmervoid will just die. City will never die... At least not unless it is a target of some spell or ability... The "lose 1 life to tap"-ability is very irrelevant.

I don't think the ornithopter+cranial "combo" is worth it. First off you have to remove some of the good creatures to make room for a 0/2 flier that does absolutely nothing before you find the other "combo"-piece. That seems not very good. I would never play ornithopter - unless I was playing some obscure combo (real combo) version of the deck, and I wouldn't do that... :)
Cranial plating is a good card, and one that I have been testing on several occasions, but in the end I cut it. If you have atog or ravager on the board, you are most likely to win anyway - very often I think cranial does nothing more than "kill more"...

- meanee