PDA

View Full Version : Draw Xtra Turn

No_Life_No_Future
12-08-2007, 03:53 PM
This is a dumb deck I created that has been winning me a suprising amount of games.

Draw Xtra Turn

MANA:
4 Sapphire Medalian
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
14 Island

The Stall:
4 Tanglewire
2 Repeal
4 Force of Will

The Kill:
1 Morphiling
1 Feldon's Cane

Draw:
3 Braingeyser
4 Stroke of Genius
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Fact or fiction

Extra Turns:
3 Time Warp
2 Temporal Manipulation
2 Capture of Jingzhou

the crappy Unfinished Sideboard:
4 Chalice of the Viod
4 Chill
3 Delusions of Mediocrity
4 Tormod's Crypt

HOW TO PLAY THE DECK:
Begin by droping as many lands as can. Drop a Medalian and Tanglewire ASAP and use the mana during you upkeep to play your draw spells. Once you have enough land keep playing your draw spells until you can afford to take another turn. Then string turns together using draw X's and leaveing islands untapped so can take another turn. Do this untill you find morphling and just swing away as your opponent simply spectates... If you run out of cards in your library use feldon's cane to shuffle your grave back in.

Card Choices:
MANA:
4 Sapphire Medalian
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
14 Island

I stayed away from fetchlands because I want to make sure i get a realiable land drop every turn. I take plenty of damage with tomb already. Sapphire Medalian saves you so much mana and you can tap it for tanglewire with no drawback... sweet. I tried Helm of Awakening but I found that it helped out my opponent too much and making their clock lots faster. Chrome Mox is great for accelerating the deck and ramping up extra mana while comboing. The card disadvantage is quickly negated as soon as your first FoF or Drax X resolves.

The Stall:
4 Tanglewire
2 Repeal
4 Force of Will

Tanglewire is amazing in the deck. It feels unfair to see your oponent sit there with a full hand of non instants unable to do anything while you are casting AK's and fact or fiction's.

Repeal is there as a saftey to deal with that your morphling can't get past. It cantrips and hits everything but lands. sweet.

Force of Will is good... It is not uncommon to be able to hardcast it and it makes you win for sure after a big draw X

Draw:
3 Braingeyser
4 Stroke of Genius
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Fact or fiction

I'm not that satisfied with Braingeyser because it is not an instant, but that really only matters when your oppents playing port or you have a tanglewire in play.

I thought about intuition along side AK but I couldnt find room for it. And with all of the other draw cards it is easy to find most of AK's.

Extra Turns:
3 Time Warp
2 Temporal Manipulation
2 Capture of Jingzhou

The 3/2/2 split is meddling mage type prevention... Im not sure how many extra turn spells would be optimal but in testing this ratio seemed alright.

Any math guys want to take a stab at the optimal draw/extra turn ratio? LMK

Overall the deck is just too slow to win against fast agro, (though when I added tanglewire it seemed to do alot better). It has a hillariously easy time with slow control decks though.

I cant believe I'm posting this. Ok, let the flaming begin.

ClearSkies
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM
So err... those 4 Force of Will will keep the Morphling in Play?
You have to attack 4 times when you have around 9 mana to win? o_O

Why does it have an easy time versus control decks?

Cabal-kun
12-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

So...your plan is to drop Tanglewire as early as possible while hitting Medallions along the way to allow you to play an extra turn spell. In the meantime, your Wires, Repeals, and FoWs will stop all other decks? :confused:

2 Repeals and 4 FoWs are no where near enough to stop the enemy. And you have no where near the speed needed to race them.

Eldariel
12-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd try a more aggressive approach. It's clear that your plan is to chain Time Walk-effects into killing your opponent. You can't float mana over Time Walks, so why play X-draw? I'd probably do something more Faerie Stompy-like without the equipment and utilize the fact that you can drop big blue beasts fast, play a bunch of solid 3- and 4-drops with high power, then aim to chaining Time Walks enough times to just win. In a control-shell, Time Walk is little more than a free, sorcery cantrip, which is horrible, especially since they can't be used before turn 5.

Basically, here's the theorethical aspect:
Time Walk-effects grant you 3 things:
Extra Untap
(Extra Upkeep)
Extra Card
Extra Land Drop
Extra Attack Phase

Extra Upkeep will rarely be relevant. Anyways, this deck uses the Extra Untap and Extra Card-parts; land drops don't seem to be too relevant in a lowland deck playing 5-drop spells, your attack phase will only be useful once you win and you have no Upkeep-effects you'd want to repeat (although you DO get to Tangle Wire yourself multiple consecutive turns if you really want to). I'd focus on making either the Attack Phase or the Land Drop-parts count more. As it stands, you're taking the two "smallest" benefits and not even abusing them, just using them (extra untap can be huge, but if you get it for a 5-mana investment, it isn't that crazy - about the same as the free mechanic minus any abusability with High Tide et al., and extra card = cantrip). So, there.

Cait_Sith
12-08-2007, 05:25 PM
When you are taking extra turns finitely, you want to make sure you are using effects that benefit you the most from taking turn after turn (note that with infinite turns, this matters much less, as you are not letting your opponent get anything in edgewise).

Good choices include:

Panoptic Mirror (imprint a Time Walk variant)
Anvil of Bogardan
Howling Mine
Teferi's Puzzle Box
Razormane Masticore
Kami of the Crescent Moon
Legacy's Allure
Lilting Refrain
Oath of Scholars

Edit:

Wow... this deck IS randomly good. I made some changes:

-4 Chrome Mox
-1 Morphling
-2 Repeal
-4 Fact or Fiction

+4 Island
+3 Fathom Trawl
+2 Library of Leng
+2 Razormane Masticore

xsockmonkeyx
12-08-2007, 06:47 PM
+2 Library of Leng

Spellbook is 1 less mana. Are you hoping to fight discard or something?

Cait_Sith
12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Spellbook is 1 less mana. Are you hoping to fight discard or something?

Good for against Discard and good when combined with Razormane Masticore.

Also, it dodges a Chalice at 0 (That, and I never been in a situation where I want to play Leng, but just don't have 1 mana open).

xsockmonkeyx
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Good for against Discard and good when combined with Razormane Masticore.

Also, it dodges a Chalice at 0 (That, and I never been in a situation where I want to play Leng, but just don't have 1 mana open).

Ahh, Razormane. Ok.