PDA

View Full Version : [Single card discussion] Echoing Truth

thefreakaccident
12-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I have been toying around with this card very frequently as a response to the rise of ETW/belcher decks on the rise everywhere...

For reference, the card is: http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=46162

I have also found it to be amazing against anything that relies on getting tokens out (ichorid for a quick boost, if you have removed the zealot and decree)...

I have also found it pretty decent against reanimator in testing in some other cases...

The real question is: Is there anything as versatile or even more versatile that one can put into their sideboards to take care of these such things than this card?

xsockmonkeyx
12-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I think you answered your own question. Its strength as a card is because it's good against tokens while also being a versatile answer to problem nonland permanents for a turn (often so you can combo off). Its also happens to be handy if you are staring down multiple Goyfs.

CoV is one mana and Wipe Away is uncounterable and bounces lands but Echoing Truth is probably the most versatile bounce spell there is.

Cait_Sith
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Echoing Truth is not a card you toy around with, it is one you play. I play it whenever I need sb bounce for multiple reasons.

1) Sweeps tokens.
2) Hits multiple Chalice/Trini/whatever Stax antics your opponent is up to.
3) Is well costed for its effect.

TrialByFire
12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
It also hits the dreaded double Leyline draw when you playing Breakfast or whatever

Goaswerfraiejen
12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
The real question is: Is there anything as versatile or even more versatile that one can put into their sideboards to take care of these such things than this card?

Pernicious Deed, Crime//Punishment, and Engineered Explosives are really the only options, but their mana requirements are more prohibitive. Yup, Echoing Truth is mighty, mighty good.

For those of you who have more experience playing with it, how useful do you find it to be beyond its token-busting ability (and when we're not necessarily talking about multiple copies of spells hanging around)?

Cait_Sith
12-08-2007, 10:27 PM
It is far superior to Boomerang. It hits everything relevant that Boomerang hits (except for lands, but that rarely matters) and costs less colored mana, while occasionally dicking around with multiples.

It costs 1 more than Chain of Vapor, but hits everything Chain does while dodging low level Chalices more readily. Plus it randomly bounces multiples.

It costs 1 less than Wipe Away, but it MUCH more counterable (2 is a more common slot of CounterTop, it is vulnerable to actually counterspells, including spell snare), but, 2 to 3 is a much bigger jump than 1 to 2 (in Magic, anyway), and, once again, randomly deals with multiples.

The fact is, almost all bounce that can be equated with Echoing Truth just cannot match up to the randomly bouncing multiples ability. It is just too good, since, at worst, Echoing Truth is roughly on par with the competition.

FoolofaTook
12-12-2007, 04:20 PM
It also hits the dreaded double Leyline draw when you playing Breakfast or whatever

This is the main reason I play 2 Echoing Truth in the maindeck when I am using the graveyard for anything. There's just no reasonable way to get rid of two LLotV otherwise. Engineered Explosives is just as fast against tokens, but it never touches a 4cc permanent.

I use Hoodwink instead when I am playing LLotV and DoA if the opponent drops one also.