PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Elemental Blast!

largebrandon
12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
While studying for finals in the library (I know, i should be playing magic instead), I came up with a deck idea that I think would be pretty cool. It is a All creature deck with 12 ball lightnings which could wreck some havoc. The key is getting out a turn one Smokeweaver, and then pumping out a ball lightning every turn. Also, getting out the Soulstoke (their 'lord') helps, as it pumps them and acts as an AEther Vial of sorts. This deck has a distinct advantage over a deck like burn because it has all creatures, so a SBed Leyline of the Lifeforce completely nullifies counters.

Let me know what you think, or if I should just return to the drawing board.

4 Ball lightning
4 Groundbreaker
4 Rumbling Slum
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Spark Elemental
4 Flamekin Bladewhirl
4 Incandescent Soulstoke

4 Chrome Mox
4 Simian Spirit Guide/Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Smokeweaver

20 lands of your choosing

Willoe
12-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Greater Good deserves a spot in the deck! And with triple colored costs, a very expensive mana base consisting of

4 taiga
4 wooded foothills
4 windswept heath
4 bloodstained mire
2 forest
2 mountain

or something like that is needed.

The deck's very explosive but need some ways to generate card advantage. This is why Greater Good's almost a must. I'd switch it for Simian Spirit Guide, acceleration in this way only leaves you with 1 card less.

Also, Pandemonium to really generate board EQ would fit perfectly. Here's a sample build:

4 Ball Lightning
4 Groundbreaker
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Rumbling Slum
4 Flamekin Bladewhirl
4 Spark Elemental
4 Smokebraider
4 Grim Lavamancer

3 Pandemonium
3 Greater Good
2 Fecundicity

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Windswept Heath
4 Taiga
2 Forest
2 Mountain

The deck contains eight ways to generate card advantage, as well as grim lavamancer to really use the fallen dudes as fodder.

Hope I Helped

Michael Keller
12-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I thought this deck was going to pack REB and BEB - like 16 blasts or something. I would play it.

outsideangel
12-10-2007, 06:01 PM
This deck should probably figure out a way to run some form of disruption so you don't just keel over and die to combo.

Chalice of the Void, for example, is really strong against combo AND threshold.

Happy Gilmore
12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
This deck should probably figure out a way to run some form of disruption so you don't just keel over and die to combo.

Chalice of the Void, for example, is really strong against combo AND threshold.

Thorn of Amythyst FTW.

4 Ball Lightning
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Giant Sulifuge
4 Flamekin Bladewhirl
2 Sulfur Elemental
4 Smokebraider
4 Lightning Serpent
4 Magus of the Moon

4 Thorn of Amythyst
4 Chalice of the Void

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Taiga
6 Mountain
2 Ancient Tomb
4 Sandstone Needle (perfect fit, turn 2 ball turn 3 firecat, turn 4 any creature.

I cut green because splashing GGG was a little extreme even with smokebraiders. Drawing a forest in the first couple of turns is horrible. There are better options, Giant Sulifuge is easily the best 4 drop this deck can make. And lightning Serpent is really underrated considering the mana this deck can generate. Who cares about goyf when you can simply trample over him? Did I metion this deck runs 12 Awsome spells VS Thresh! Not only does this deck have game vs Combo, it has a huge clock and a trump strategy in the form of Magus. Magus of the Moon is King.

Edit: In this build Green is just a splash for SB cards, but maybe black would be better. That way you get Cabal Therapy which is so hot...sacking a creature that is going to die anyway.

Edit2: I'm on a role...

4 Ball Lightning
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Giant Sulifuge
4 Flamekin Bladewhirl
3 Tombstalker
3 Spark Elemental
4 Lightning Serpent
4 Magus of the Moon

4 Thorn of Amythyst
4 Cabal Therapy

3 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Badlands
4 Mountain
1 Swamp
3 Ancient Tomb
3 Sandstone Needle

Not the best synergy between Tombstalker and Magus but its a decent starting point. Is it me or does these decks look bad ass to play?

Cait_Sith
12-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Problem is, you tend to run out of powerful cards too quickly. I had a GB version back when Greater Good was in Standard and it was quite good. I used Groundbreaker and Timbermare primarily, although I tested Spectral Force on and off. I think that GB may work better, since you now have access to Cabal Therapy and so can cause quite some devastation along side Greater Good.

Cavius The Great
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't Fecundity be really good here?

EDIT: Orcish Lumberjack would maybe help as well. Smokebraider 5-8, if you can find room.

Soto
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
The enchantment that has Cumulative Upkeep : add R to your mana pool, might be a good inclusion.

largebrandon
12-11-2007, 03:12 PM
The enchantment that has Cumulative Upkeep : add R to your mana pool, might be a good inclusion.

Okay, I give up. . . why is that good?

Pinder
12-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Okay, I give up. . . why is that good?

Well, obviously you'd run Upwelling :rolleyes:

Seriously though? I like Gilmore's mono-R list the best so far. Had to look up Flamekin Bladewhirl, though. Also, does the Harbinger have any consideration? I mean, it's 1 mana and finds you ball lightning, firecat, etc.

And is there anything with Champion an Elemental? Could be decent to throw out a Ball Lightning, then just Champion it before it dies. Especially since you can sac whatever championed it later to get it back and swing for 6 again. Black splash for Therapy much?

edit - Nova Chaser champions an elemental. And it's a 10/2 for 4. With Trample. Just saying. No haste, though :frown:.

edit again - and this deck is pretty much required to run REBs in the board, right? :tongue:

Happy Gilmore
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, obviously you'd run Upwelling :rolleyes:

Seriously though? I like Gilmore's mono-R list the best so far. Had to look up Flamekin Bladewhirl, though. Also, does the Harbinger have any consideration? I mean, it's 1 mana and finds you ball lightning, firecat, etc.

And is there anything with Champion an Elemental? Could be decent to throw out a Ball Lightning, then just Champion it before it dies. Especially since you can sac whatever championed it later to get it back and swing for 6 again. Black splash for Therapy much?

edit - Nova Chaser champions an elemental. And it's a 10/2 for 4. With Trample. Just saying. No haste, though :frown:.

edit again - and this deck is pretty much required to run REBs in the board, right? :tongue:

I think the harbinger may replace the Spark elementals, since it can search up a magus or some big fat when neccessary.

Pinder
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I think the harbinger may replace the Spark elementals, since it can search up a magus or some big fat when neccessary.

Magus of the Moon
Set & Rarity: Future Sight rare
Card Type: Creature - Human Wizard
P/T: 2/2
Rules Text (Oracle): Nonbasic lands are Mountains.

Flamekin Harbinger
Set & Rarity: Lorwyn uncommon
Printings:
Cost:
Card Type: Creature - Elemental Shaman
P/T: 1/1
Rules Text (Oracle): When Flamekin Harbinger comes into play, you may search your library for an Elemental card, reveal it, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.

??
:confused:

edit - Searched gatherer for elementals, what about Lavacore Elemental? 5/3 for :2::r: is some beefy stats, and with all the trample damage you're likely to accrue...

Inner Flame Acolyte also looks interesting, either as a 4/2 haste for 1RR or a tutorable mini- Reckless Charge for your other fat.

Storm Entity also looks interesting, but I'm not sure if the deck would be any good at resolving multiple spells in a turn.

War Elemental? Probably unnecessary.

Nova Chaser I've mentioned, but it seemed worthy of mentioning again. I mean, 10/2.

Skizzik is 4 for a 5/3 Trample Haste that can stick around if you have extra mana...

All of these are just ideas, but these are the ones that looked even slightly playable from the list.

Cavius The Great
12-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Nova Chaser is definitely good. Play it with Fires of Yavimaya in Happy Gilmore's build and you've got something very sexy. If not just play it with that dude that's gives elementals haste. Orcish Lumberjack is also sweet with Fires, as well.

EDIT: Berserk anyone?? End the game a turn quicker FTW.

EDIT2: The List

4 Ball Lightning
4 Groundbreaker
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Smokebraider
4 Skizzik
4 Orcish Lumberjack
4 Lightning Serpent
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Invigorate
4 Berserk
4 Street Wraith
(48)
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga
4 Stomping Ground
(12)

That's my balls to the wall aggro version. It doesn't pack disruption like Gilmore's so I'm not sure if it's as good. It should be fast as hell though...

Cavius The Great
01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry for the double post, but has anyone been developing this deck? I can see something like Elementals being viable if tweaked properly. I also have 4 Judge Foil Ball Lightning and 4 foil Blistering Firecat that I can always put to use. :wink:

Maveric78f
01-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Splash black for shriekmaw.
Splash green for tarmo.
Sulfur Elemental looks bad.
Lightning Serpent looks bad.
Incandescent Soulstoke looks good.
That deck awfully loses to engineered plague. At least with pandemonium, you could still make some dmgs...