PDA

View Full Version : Uw Salvagers

myselves
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
First to the idea:
I like the way, to play Bomberman/Salvagers, but it’s not able to be played in big tournaments at the time, so I tried to design a new deck, which still kills with the Salvagers Kombo.

One of the main problems was, that it can be disrupted, countered and it’s based on the graveyard…
Three ways to stop the deck, uh.
The first idea was: play Counter and Bouncer (for Leylines etc.), so play U.
So I built a Uw Bomberman, but it is a lil bit to slow, and now this is your turn:

spells(21)
4 Intuition
4 Brainstorm
4 FoW
3 Merchant Scroll
4 Stifle
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Echoing Truth

creatures(7)
3 Auriok Salvagers
3 Trinket Mage
1 Phyrexian Dreadnought

stuff(12)
4 Chrome Mox
3 LED
1 Spellbomb
3 EE
1 Pithing Needle

lands(21)
4 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Wasteland
3 Island
2 Plains

I even thought about Chalices MD.
So why shall I play Chalices? Just to get on the nerves of Komboplayers, here in Northern Germany we have a lot of them.
4 Chrome Mox isn’t usual in a Controldeck, but I need the speedadvantages, that it brings with.
3 Salvagers are needed, to tutor them with Intuition.

So that's it, would it be playable?

sklay
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
The main problem in this build is spot removal (after activating the LED) and Extirpate.

I used to splash black for Cabal Therapy, Duress and/or Thoughtseize. Black also adds Lim-Dûl's Vault and this is pretty awesome.

I prefer Ancient Tomb for acceleration. It is better than Chrome Mox because you don't need to pitch precious cards in your hand.

If you don't want to take the black route, you can also try Orim's Chant to stop the enemy at disrupting you.

Tacosnape
12-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Salvagers/LED has about sixteen billion ways to stop it. Graveyard hate, creature removal, Pithing Needle, Chalice for 0, discard, countermagic, and so forth. Until that point becomes thoroughly addressed, there's going to be problems with this deck.

Lothian
12-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Your list doesn't control anything, just full of tutors.

Mox is terrible in control. If you control, you don't need to go fast as you'll get all the time you want.

You're missing Sphere which is a good card for salvager, it can make you draw your all deck to find your kill. Can be used for EE at 3

stp, needle, etc car kill your deck, so play meddling mage to prevent those from disrupting you.

You are playing 4 counters??? 10-11 is better.

bounce is good, destroy is better. Disenchant will take care of annoying things

Well, that's my view of combo-control, but really the list is a lot more resilient

+ 2 ET (Enlightened Tutor) for EE or kill or LED etc...

here you go:

Spell(22)
4 Intuition
4 Brainstorm
4 FoW
4 Counterspell
2 Mana leak
2 Disenchant
2 ET

creatures(7)
4 Auriok Salvagers
3 meddling mage

stuff(9)
3 LED
1 Spellbomb
3 EE
2 chromatic sphere

lands(23)
4 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Wasteland
5 Island
2 Plains

sklay
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
@Lothian: Meddling Mage does not address the main problem (removal [any kind] and disruption).

Orim's Chant can stop Swords to Plowshares, Extirpate, Counterspells, etc.

Needle and opponent's Meddling Mage can be removed by Bounce and Engineered Explosives.

HSCK
12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Another huge problem that Salvagers faces in Legacy is the lack of Mana Drain, a control weapon that speeds up the deck by one or two turns. Maybe go for Ancient Tombs as an accelerant solving that problem. The other problem has been mentioned several times, removal is far more prevalent in Legacy so that may force you to go for that "one big turn" concept for your deck.