PDA

View Full Version : Dreams [Blue-Black]

P-AiR
12-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey guys, new member here! Just took a quick browse around the forum and I like what I see. I've recently made a deck around the card Underworld Dreams if you have any suggestions it would be most appreciated.

This is mainly for casual play, hence I wouldn't worry too much about what cards are banned. However, for all my decks I would like to keep them at a high level.

Decklist: Dreams

Counters
4x Arcane Denial
4x Undermine
4x Force of Will
3x Perplex

Creatures
2x Thrashing Wumpus
4x Seizan, Perverter of Truth
2x Drift of Phantasms

Spells
2x Windfall
2x Time Spiral
4x Dark Ritual

Artifacts
2x Howling Mine
1x Sol Ring

Enchantments
4x Underworld Dreams

Lands
4x Polluted Delta
4x Salt Marsh
4x Underworld Sea
4x Underground River
2x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
2x Swamp
2x Island

Notes
Usually if I have a problem getting dreams, I would transmute Drift of Phantasms or Perplex to get it into my hand.
The counters would be used on anything that would remove my dreams or pose a threat to the game.
The wumpus is there for creature control, in case of creatures that creep through my counters.
Seizan hurts when there is Underworld Dreams on the table because that would be mean the opponent would draw 3 cards and take 5 damage each turn.

Ophidian
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Some cards you may not have considered:

Teferi's Puzzle Box
Wheel and Deal
Forget
Prosperity

Shawn
12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Sol Ring, Time Spiral, Windfall = banned in Legacy. Also, how does the deck deal with creatures? 4 x Force of Will won't cut it against any aggro decks, and 2x Wumpus is kind of slow if you don't have any Rituals in your hand at the time.

P-AiR
12-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Thank you for the comments!

Again, it's for casual play so I don't worry too much about banned cards. (If I were to join a legacy tournament I wouldn't use this deck =) )

I agree, problems have risen when I play against creature decks. Is there anything you can suggest?

Usually the walls, Seizan, and counters are enough to sustain the creatures that the opponent plays. However, it is one area that I need to improve on but I do not know how!

Prosperity/Forget: appealing but I am reluctant to add them into my deck because they are sorceries which are slow since I'd have to use mana on my turn which I'd want to save to counter their spells.

Teferi's Puzzle Box: I'm unsure if 4 mana is a bit too much for what it does.

I was thinking of putting 4x Vision Skeins into the deck
Vision Skeins
1U - Instant
Each player Draws two cards

or

Memory Jar
T, Sacrifice Memory Jar: Each player removes his or her hand from the game, face down, and draws seven cards. At end of turn, each player discards his or her hand and returns to his or her hand each card he or she removed from the game this way.
Although this card is rather slow to use since it is 5 mana.

Media314r8
12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I Fuckin LOL'd at "I'm thinking of putting Memory Jar into the deck"

An Underworld dreams deck... and this is the same memory jar that got E-banned we're talking about here.

If you don't care about legality, GO FOR IT! Play Wheel of Fortune while you're at it, seems fine with megrim/dreams. Perhaps Yawgmoth's will would be a fine too?

Also, why only 1 sol ring if you dont care about legality, its the best acceleration aside from Lotus. Perhaps if you're splashing red (fetches, duals allready in the mix) Profetic bolt would be worth some lulz to solve the enemy creatue problem... Oh, heck, if you're playing with memory jar and WoF anyway, just use bolts and chain lightning. Consider some D tutors to find combo pieces?

Also, if you're not concerned with legacily, cut the dark rits for sol rings and moxen, as they are permanant mana sources, and you have no plays like 1st turn hippie, though I can see the appeal with dreams.

P-AiR
12-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes.. Thank you for your time.

Zuriya
12-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Cards to consider: Black Vise, Wheel of Torture, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/pthon06/t8decks (Owling Mine). Just search Gatherer http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/index.aspx? for similar cards.

xsockmonkeyx
12-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Welcome to the source.

Arcane Denial is godawful. Please, dont play it. I dont care if it's casual magic or your trying to abuse Underground Dreams just dont play it.

Also +4 Brainstorm, + a fetch or two. Watery Grave is almost strictly better than Salt Marsh and consider dropping the Underground Rivers for more basics.

Maveric78f
12-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I m perplex and mined with Perplex and Undermine in a deck packing Windfall, Time Spiral and Memory Jar.

Zuriya
12-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Actually Arcane Denial is very good in casual/multiplayer.
- it is a diplomatic tool
- you can draw three cards of your card if it is already countered
- at a large table people will forget about the effect 50% of the time making it a discounted Dismiss
- it only requires one colored mana
Please only dismiss cards if you know what you are doing.
Plus, in multiplayer card advantage is a different concept. You probably won't get card parity with counterspells anyway. So drawing an extra card is fine (especially in combo decks).

rufus
12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
It's a bit unclear what route you want to take, since there are a bunch of options available. You could consider Forced Fruition which should be capable of wiping out tables and does have some positive interaction with Underworld dreams.

This approach will put a bulls-eye on your head...
Anvil of Boggarden
Chains of Mephistopholes
Underworld Dreams
Teferi's Puzzle Box

Pox
Damnation