PDA

View Full Version : Shadowy Bridges

Metaknight
12-11-2007, 04:56 PM
hello all, this is a deck that brought to my first tournament i ever attended some 4 years ago. it was a smaller tournament, with about 20 players. I went 2/2 that time, and i haven't brought to a tournament since, but i have been doing some testing recently and found that it does pretty well against thresh and dominates goblins (even though its not a well played deck any more) and does rather decent against just about anything else, well with out further ado, here is shadowy bridges:

lands/
4x scrubland
4x ancient tomb
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Windswept Heath
2x swamp
2x plains

creatures/
3x soltari champion
4x Dauthi Horror
3x Dauthi Warlord

sorcery/
4x thoughtseize
4x duress

instant/
4x swords to plowshare
4x dark ritual

artifacts/
4x Grafted skullcap
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Howling mine

Enchantments/
3x Words of Worship

SB/
3x Tormod's Crypt
4x Cabal therapy
4x pithing Needle
4x Disenchant

so what do you think, i know it seems like it would be terrible because grip pretty much owns it, but the odds that they draw enough grips to shut you down is very unlikely, seeing as how you draw more than then do and you draw into combo piece after combo piece, and can play them when ever you draw them.

Thanks guys

Brehn
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
By playing Howling Mines you increase the odds of them drawing Krosan Grip, Deed or whatever they need. I'd play Phyrexian Arena instead.

electrolyze
12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
i like the deck idea with the skullkap, shadowers and bridge but i think you should run some more creatures because i think you kill not that fast now and then you give your opponent more time to find an answer on the bridge or something.

Bovinious
12-11-2007, 05:07 PM
By playing Howling Mines you increase the odds of them drawing Krosan Grip, Deed or whatever they need. I'd play Phyrexian Arena instead.

Dark Confidant seems better than either one to me.

Nihil Credo
12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Umezawa's Jitte. Four of. No questions.

Metaknight
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Bob will def, take the spot of the mines. The reason they were in there instead of Bob was, i didn't have them and this is just a direct list from the Tournament. What do you suggest i take out for the Jittes? Also any suggestion to make the board better, i feel like it could be but i dont know what to add.

Brehn
12-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Start flaming me, but I think Phyrexian Arena is definitely better.

1) Fewer lifeloss. You have Ancient Tombs, you have Thoughtseizes, you have expensive cards like Grafted Skullcap. And, you can't chumpblock Tarmogoyfs. Ok, Bob can do that but you should play him for another purpose.

2) Hard to remove. Enchantment removal is not as common as creature removal and if they have a Grip, they will be sparing it for your Bridges.

3) Even harder to remove: what is the number to set EE and Powder Keg to vs this deck? It's 2, because Bridge and 7 of your 11 guys (and very soon Jitte) cost 2. Oh look, Bob costs 2. Oh look, Arena doesn't.

4) Synergy with Words of Worship. In some situations gaining 9 life and drawing no card might me better than gaining 1 life and drawing Grafted Skullcap.

For fitting Jitte into the deck: I haven't tested the list, but I would cut the card-drawing slots down to 6 or 7, as well as the mainboard discard, maybe also one WofW. I'm absolutely not sure how the rituals are performing.

EDIT: Realizing how everything relevant in the deck costs 2, I figured the Disenchants in the board are a little bit suboptimal when facing Chalice @ 2. If your manabase can support them, Auras of Silence would shine as they also slow down Deed and Explosives.

second edit: wtf? Ensnaring Bridge costs 3? Stupid card invalidating my arguments :( Still, Arena is better.

MPL
12-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Why don't use Bottled Cloister of Grafted Skullcap? In any situation it's as good or better than the Cap.

Metaknight
12-12-2007, 01:54 PM
in testing i have decided that bob is out, although he can chump block, the point of this deck is that you dont have to, so i took him out and put in Enlightened tutor, so i can get the pieces i need, when i need them instead of having to dig for them and maybe never finding them. I also really like Arena because first turn rit. Arena is pretty freakin sexy. Bottle Cloister will also be taking the place of skullcap, because it gives me the option to wait. Before, there was alway a debate what should take priority because i occasionally could not play all the cards in my hand and was force to make some tough decisions, Cloister doesn't have this draw back. The only problem now is that keg, EE, or Deed at 3 kinda wrecks me, so do you think i should maybe try and main needle for some kind of protection, or leave it in the side and just loose the first game if they have any of those, and if i MD it, whos place should it take? Also since there have been quite a few changes, heres an updated list:

land//
4x Scrubland
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Windswept Heath
4x Ancient Tomb
2x swamp
2x plains

Creatures//
4x Dauthi Horror
3x Dauthi Warlord
3x Soltari Champion

sorceries//
4x duress
2x thoughtseize

instants//
4x Dark Ritual
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Enlightened Tutor

Artifacts//
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Bottle Cloister

Enchantments//
3x Phyrexian Arena
2x Words of Worship

SB//
hasn't changed, but am working on making it better.

thanks everyone

Cait_Sith
12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Umezawa's Jitte. Four of. No questions.

There is an understatement. I ran a mono white Shadow-Bridge deck that tended to do quite well. I think about half the matches I lost I would have won if Jitte had been printed at the time. The fact that it pumps AFTER you attack makes it invaluable.

Depending on your draw you might be able to get away with 3.

MPL: Bottled Clositer is, right now, the better suggestion. However, if you add in some life gain, there are some very good lifegain cards that want you to have a full graveyard (Ancestor's Chosen and Ancestral Tribute).

Game one this deck would do fairly well, but game two it would hit serious issues. My recommendations:

Use a lot of smaller shadow dudes. Soltari Priest, Soltari Lancer, Dauthi Horror, and Soltari Monk would make for a good WB suite of creatures. Throw in some creatures and maybe some proactive protection. Hanna's Custody gives all artifacts shroud, so that means it takes 2 Grips to kill a bridge, instead of one. If deed is your bigger worry, go for Guardian Beast. It makes your artifacts indestructible. However, its creature nature makes it more vulnerable to their spot removal.

Metaknight
12-12-2007, 05:55 PM
the only problem i see with jitte, is fitting it in. I suppose i could drop the rit count to 2-3 and the arena count to 2. For the most part i'm facing spot removal for artifact and enchantments, with a few rouge deeds so i think Hanna's Custody would do just fine, and Words of Worship is enough life gain, seeing as how i use it at least twice every turn by the time its out and still draw at least one card. Would Leonin Abunas be a good choice, since it doesn't fit the 3cc that bridge and arena fall into, he also has a nice butt, so blocking becomes available, what do you think?