PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Elvish Opp

insertnamehere
12-11-2007, 09:35 PM
This is an old deck I piloted well, with a new twist.
// Lands
12 Forest
8 Island

// Creatures
4 Imperious Perfect
3 Eldamari, Lord of Leaves
4 Wirewood Symbiote (using 1st ability only)
3 Civic Wayfinder (will search for any color land)
4 Coiling Oracle and/or Masked Admirer and/or Eternal Witness
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves

// Spells

3 Back to Basics (nuff said)
3 Static Orb
4 Elvsh Promenade
4 Opposition

// Sideboard Needs Help!!!
SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt ( I really want to run Leyline of the Void)
SB: 4 Thorn of Amethyst
SB: 2 Tradewind Rider
SB: 3 Krosan Grip
SB: 2 Viridian Zealot

This deck is based around the same build as Beacon Opp. a few differences in the deck:
No Fetchlands>I do not feel they are neeed
Dual Lands>see Back to Basics
Civic Wayfinder>gets me land of any color
Wirewood Symbiote over Scryb Ranger> You can bounce the creature for defensive reasons or comes into play abilities. Ignore the second ability.

Let me know what everyone thinks. Hopefully this could be the breakout Elf deck, as far as Aggro/Control goes.

Maëlig
12-12-2007, 05:34 AM
I've been thinking about an elf-opposition list for some time, but it seems there's always something missing...
In my list, I was playing smokestack in addition to opposition, which is quite nice since you always have lots of elves in play. Wirewood hivemaster also seems indispensable. Maybe tradewind rider?
Other than that, I would say you need some kind of draw engine. Messenger seems suboptimal, but could do.
I'm not convinced about civic wayfinder...

insertnamehere
12-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I've been thinking about an elf-opposition list for some time, but it seems there's always something missing...
In my list, I was playing smokestack in addition to opposition, which is quite nice since you always have lots of elves in play. Wirewood hivemaster also seems indispensable. Maybe tradewind rider?
Other than that, I would say you need some kind of draw engine. Messenger seems suboptimal, but could do.
I'm not convinced about civic wayfinder...

I could not decide what to take out for the draw. I have not had a chance to put the deck together and run with it. The Wayfinders are on the fence right now(they are in there only because I am not running Duals. I could always swap them with Brainstorm or Ponder. I was also considering Lys Alana Huntmaster over Hivemaster, simply because they produce Elves and do not die to Pyroclasm.

Maëlig
12-12-2007, 02:20 PM
The problem with Lys Alana is that she costs 4, so by the time you cast her your hand is already empty (especially if you don't have any draw).
What do you say about smokestack?
Also, to lessen the mana problem (oppo costs UU :/), maybe birchlore rangers and/or joiner adept?
As an additional disrupting piece, root maze can be of some good, especially with b2b and mana elves, and since you don't run fetches.

insertnamehere
12-12-2007, 09:19 PM
The problem with Lys Alana is that she costs 4, so by the time you cast her your hand is already empty (especially if you don't have any draw).
What do you say about smokestack?
Also, to lessen the mana problem (oppo costs UU :/), maybe birchlore rangers and/or joiner adept?
As an additional disrupting piece, root maze can be of some good, especially with b2b and mana elves, and since you don't run fetches.

:eek: Didn't think of that:eek: Thanks

OffTheWall
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
If you are running smokestacks you could try to run masked admirerers. If you get 2 it is draw an additional card with little drawback on the smokestack. I know it is a lot of mana 6 per turn, but they are elves mana is supposed to be what they do.

Cavius The Great
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
This is an old deck I piloted well, with a new twist.
// Lands
12 Forest
8 Island

// Creatures
4 Imperious Perfect
3 Civic Wayfinder (will search for any color land)
4 Coiling Oracle and/or Masked Admirer and/or Eternal Witness
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves

// Spells

3 Static Orb
4 Elvsh Promenade
4 Opposition

SB: 4 Thorn of Amethyst
SB: 2 Viridian Zealot

This deck is based around the same build as Beacon Opp. a few differences in the deck:
No Fetchlands>I do not feel they are neeed
Dual Lands>see Back to Basics
Civic Wayfinder>gets me land of any color
Wirewood Symbiote over Scryb Ranger> You can bounce the creature for defensive reasons or comes into play abilities. Ignore the second ability.

Let me know what everyone thinks. Hopefully this could be the breakout Elf deck, as far as Aggro/Control goes.

Decks with Back to basics still run duals. 4 Tropical Islands shouldn't hurt you all that much considering the benefits they provide before you're able to drop a B2B.

insertnamehere
12-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Updated version
// Lands
12 Forest
8 Island

// Creatures
4 Imperious Perfect
3 Joiner Adept
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves

// Spells

3 Static Orb
4 Elvsh Promenade
4 Opposition

SB: 3 Root Maze
SB: 3 Eternal Witnes

This is my updated version I am planning on constructing.
I opted out of the masked admirers combo because of the lack of Priests in the deck.

luka66_6
12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Your only draw is Coiling Oracle. Maybe Ponder would be good in here? (over brainstorm even if you do not play fatch lands).

I do not think you need Birds of Paradise at all. Thay attack for 0 and they are not elf. Maybe another mana elf or draw?

I think Back to Basics 3x is not enough because you do not have a lot of draw and you need B2B out asap. (you must expect opponent to counter end/or destroy end/or bounce it at least once) And with witness in SB you have no option to get it back from grave.

I would play root maze main deck and i am talking 4 off. :)

I think it is a fun deck to play with.
good luck

insertnamehere
12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Your only draw is Coiling Oracle. Maybe Ponder would be good in here? (over brainstorm even if you do not play fatch lands).

I do not think you need Birds of Paradise at all. Thay attack for 0 and they are not elf. Maybe another mana elf or draw?

I think Back to Basics 3x is not enough because you do not have a lot of draw and you need B2B out asp. (you must expect opponent to counter end/or destroy end/or bounce it at least once) And with witness in SB you have no option to get it back from grave.

I would play root maze in main deck and i am talking 4 off. :)

I think it is a fun deck to play with.
good luck

Back to the drawing Board. Thanks for the advice.

Cavius The Great
12-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't Fyndhorn Elves be better than Birds of paradise? If you want an elf that produces blue, Quirion Elves is an option as well.

OffTheWall
12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree with the root maze idea completely.