PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] UG Thresh w/ SB stasis

p1erree
12-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, I've always loved stasis, and I had a stroke of seemingly genius earlier tonight.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [DIS] Breeding Pool
6 [LRW] Island (1)
2 [ON] Wooded Foothills
2 [ON] Polluted Delta
2 [ON] Flooded Strand
4 [R] Tropical Island
1 [B] Forest (2)

// Creatures
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [OD] Werebear
4 [OD] Nimble Mongoose

// Spells
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [NE] Daze
4 [SC] Stifle
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [TE] Mirri's Guile
2 [NE] Ensnare
2 [MM] Thwart
1 [ON] Chain of Vapor

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [A] Stasis
SB: 4 [TE] Root Maze
SB: 3 [A] Instill Energy
SB: 4 [PS] Forsaken City

Idea is play Thresh (or stasis) G1 and then SB in/out to play Stasis (or thresh) G2.

Seems awesome to me :D

I've altered the original UG thresh base a bit, and instill energy is win con.

Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms?

Thanks.

ClearSkies
12-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Stasis doesn't seem to actually help you out of bad situations...

Threshold seems capable of winning by itself. Stasis seems bad without your 2nd half of your combo, instilled energy. It becomes a three part combo if you want for your Forsaken Cities. I suppose Root maze is the 4th part?

Not to mention it does cost 1U and G, can be counterbalanced away. Both can be Gripped away too. Your transformation sideboard doesn't address the supposedly bad match ups that Threshold has.

FoolofaTook
12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Is Instill Energy a good win-con given that it is dependent on other cards and can easily cause a two for one against StP, not to mention it is not valid on a Nimble Mongoose?

Is Root Maze a good locking mechanism given that it effects you and your opponent equally?

The answers to both may well be that they work, however those would be my main questions.

Edit: if you're going to play Stasis then Tabernacle at Pendrall Vale becomes a very strong conditional sweeper for mid game transitions.

I played a few Stasis decks back in the day and I played against a lot more and in my experience the lock needs to be absolute and uni-directional and the kill needs to be swift in order for such a combinational concept to be valid at high levels of play.