PDA

View Full Version : Rune-Cycling

NecroYawgmoth
12-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Yay, Hello everyone...

I have build an new Deck... and I will try to make it better.

It's more Casual than Legacy, but I want to build it in the Legacy-Format.

Here is the List:

4 Rune of Protection: White
4 Rune of Protection: Blue
4 Rune of Protection: Black
4 Rune of Protection: Red
4 Rune of Protection: Green
4 Rune of Protection: Artifacts
2 Rune of Protection: Lands
2 Words of Worship

4 Fluctuator

4 Enlightenend Tutor

4 Cantivore
4 Stoic Champion

2 Serra's Sanctum
14 Plains

The idea is to cycle to the Rune you need against your opponent and win with a big Cantivore ore Champion. Words are in, so I can't get "out of library".

This is the first List I created... but It's far away from a good List.

Maybe I need things to Protect my Creatures with Lightning Greaves or something.

Missing things are imo Cards like StoP, maybe Disenchant and stuff...

I think I don't need all Runes, because no one is playing big blue Creatures in Legacy...

Any Suggestions??

No_Life_No_Future
12-16-2007, 12:37 PM
how about cylce into a replenish?

Cavius The Great
12-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Replenish puts those useless enchantments into play. He needs them in his graveyard or atleast in his hand.

Cool deck idea though. I really like it. :cool:

thefreakaccident
12-16-2007, 01:20 PM
The deck seems pointless at best... I could never see this being very competative (sorry).

hi-val
12-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Replenish puts them into play, where they get animated by an Opalescence and beat in? Maybe? At least it's a cute idea.

NecroYawgmoth
12-17-2007, 08:01 AM
@ thefreakaccident: I know that it's pointless... I already said it's more Casual than Legacy, but I asked: What wouly you do to make it better.
Things like adding Cards or something...

I don't like Replenish... if I play it, the Cantivore dies... and Replenish and Opalessence... hmm, than I have a lot of problems with Pyroclasm...

and... Yeah: I like this idea a lot, it's cool in Fun-Matches, but I need to build it in Legacy, because I don't want to lose the Tutors^^...

so far...

ClearSkies
12-17-2007, 10:00 AM
@ thefreakaccident: I know that it's pointless... I already said it's more Casual than Legacy, but I asked: What wouly you do to make it better.
Things like adding Cards or something...

So you know it is pointless, so why are you trying to make it better? You even used the underline statement as a way to accept that the deck is no good and you even sounded like you gave up improving it too.

Maybe add Land Tax? This won't ever going to be a ...even remotely competitive type deck.

I don't like Replenish... if I play it, the Cantivore dies... and Replenish and Opalessence... hmm, than I have a lot of problems with Pyroclasm...

and... Yeah: I like this idea a lot, it's cool in Fun-Matches, but I need to build it in Legacy, because I don't want to lose the Tutors^^...

so far...

What happened to the Casual part?

NecroYawgmoth
12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I try to improve it because every Magic Player wants to get maximum efficiency out of his own Deck.

When I build a casual-deck, I build it in a playable format because the only formats I can play it are Vintage and Legacy. In Vintage E. Tutor is restricted so I need to build it in Legacy because I think the Tutor is way too important for this Deck.

BTW, What's your problem to count this Deck as an Casual-Legacy Deck?

ClearSkies
12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I try to improve it because every Magic Player wants to get maximum efficiency out of his own Deck.

Maximum efficiency when you said it is pointless, yourself.
Saying it is more casual than it is competitive (at your statement implies it)
Legacy wording really has nothing to do with casual or competitive.

You can start by cutting down the runes... or maybe just remove them all.
Err... actually, I don't think that helps.

The major problem with the deck is that it is not only inconsistent, the "win" condition (your creature) is extremely weak and vulnerable. You have no protection, and you have to actually wait a turn.

Also, the deck can't function without Flucuator. Do noone in your casual group play counterspells or destroy artifact? Do they all just sit there for 10 turns sitting there playing all lands while doing nothing, and letting you kill them?

When Flucuator isn't in play, your deck is vulnerable to just plain aggro. Actually, even with Fluctuator in play, your deck is still vulnerable to just plain aggro.

When I build a casual-deck, I build it in a playable format because the only formats I can play it are Vintage and Legacy. In Vintage E. Tutor is restricted so I need to build it in Legacy because I think the Tutor is way too important for this Deck.

BTW, What's your problem to count this Deck as an Casual-Legacy Deck?

If it is Vintage, just Oath of Druids the stupid creature out, lol. Even though there are far better Oath targets than that...

I don't care if your Casual deck is Legacy or not. You are looking for improvements while rejecting people's suggestions on improving the deck (which most people all basically saying the deck is pointless).

Freshrock
12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Are those Serra's Sanctums ever going to be useful seeing as you will have 1 of those runes out in play most of the time and the rest should have been cycled away?

outsideangel
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, -I- think it's a neat idea, anyway. However, you're going to need more land for the Runes to be really effective against horde decks like Goblins. They do make lands that cycle, so you could try those out, or look at some man-lands for an alternate win condition.

If you want to splash a color, Lightning Rift might be pretty good. It's creature control and an extra damage source that doesn't require a creature.

HdH_Cthulhu
12-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes and add some stuff like WoG and then you play rifter :)

Tacosnape
12-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Ancient Tomb seems like a pretty good addition, as it allows you a turn one Fluctuator.

Also, Words of Worship seems unnecessary. You're going to almost always be better off drawing the card. It could be Radiant's Judgement if you want to eat Tarmogoyfs, or Defense Grid to keep your Fluctuators/Threats from being eaten by Counterspells, or Argivian Find to keep them from Discard.

kicks_422
12-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Give the kid a break. Some people just want to have fun, you know.

I'd say drop the 2 RoP:Lands and the 2 Words for something to protect your creatures. You only have 8 of them, so you should make sure they stick. Like you said, maybe Lightning Greaves. Then like Tacosnape said, Ancient Tombs to power out those and Fluctuators early.

NecroYawgmoth
12-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Give the kid a break... -.-

@ClearSkies and kicks_442

I play Magic for more than 10 Years now...
I AM a Legacy-Player since 2 years, I played Goblins, LS and other Stuff in Legacy, and I'm playing and discussing a lot of Magic with my friends...
I think, that I'm a good Player, too.

I just tried to Build a new CasualDeck with the Banned/Restricted Rulings of Legacy.

I just wanted to create something new, and wanted to know , what I could do better...

Not something like.... Remove all Runes because your Deck is crap....

Then , because it's an casual Deck, add 4 B.Lotus, 4 Demonic Tutor, 4 Yawg. Will, because It's fun.
Would you play in casual Games with 4 Demonic Tutors or Something... me not...

The major problem with the deck is that it is not only inconsistent, the "win" condition (your creature) is extremely weak and vulnerable. You have no protection, and you have to actually wait a turn.

I know this, and because of that I ask, what I can do better, and because of this(when my Creatures get removed) I run Words of Worship XD

And Yeah, My Friends play with Counterspells, They play with Forces too, or with P10... but this is just a ****ing CasualDeck and I asked for suggestions...

D.Meadows are interesting too, but only if I search a Rune... I will test it.
But Ancient Tomb is an nice idea, too bad I can't use it for Runes:frown:

ClearSkies
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Give the kid a break... -.-

@ClearSkies and kicks_442

I play Magic for more than 10 Years now...
I AM a Legacy-Player since 2 years, I played Goblins, LS and other Stuff in Legacy, and I'm playing and discussing a lot of Magic with my friends...
I think, that I'm a good Player, too.

I just tried to Build a new FUNDeck with the Banned/Restricted Rulings of Legacy.

I just wanted to create something new, and wanted to know , what I could do better...

Not something like.... Remove all Runes because your Deck is crap....

Then , because it's an Fun Deck, add 4 B.Lotus, 4 Demonic Tutor, 4 Yawg. Will, because It's fun...

Would you play in Fun Games with 4 Demonic Tutors or Something... me not...

And Yeah, My Friends play with Counterspells, They play with Forces too, or with P10... but this is just a ****ing CasualDeck and I asked for suggestions...

But Ancient Tomb is an nice idea, too bad I can't use it for Runes:frown:

You keep using the word fun as though it has an universal meaning or something. Fun can mean just about anything. Your deck may be fun to you, but may not be fun to anyone else. Each time you say "fun", I keep thinking of Angel Stax, TES, Threshold, and other "competitive" decks. Some people may think that combo of any form is "un-fun", same applies for control, land destruction, discard, and/or even just attacking with creatures!

The amount of years spent on Magic doesn't neccessary reflect how good a person is either.
I don't care how good you think you are. The discussion is mainly about the deck.

4 Black Lotus, 4 Demonic Tutor in a deck is not legal in any format. Not sure if your casual group likes you to bring proxies of Black Lotus, and I am not sure if you want to bring 4 Black Lotus to the casual table.

You ask for suggestions, we gave you them. You just choose to reject them.

Lets further examine on the "casual" strategy:

What you trying to do with your deck is to combo out and attempt to kill someone as fast as possible in one shot, but in a very inefficient way. Some casual players may not find this "fun" despite the fact that fun can mean just about anything. It may even encourage them to play what you think is "unfun" to discourage you to play "your" definition of a "fun" deck.

If you were playing multiplayer chaos, you either lose by people teaming up on you, or you can't get your win-conditions through in late game. Not to mention that runes don't really protect you all.

Ancient Tombs may not power Runes, but it does power those Lightning Greeves kicks_422 said earlier.

NecroYawgmoth
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
4 E.Tutors and Land Tax isn't legal in any Format, too

And I never said that I want to combo out and attempt to kill someone as fast as possible in one shot.
I have enough time when I have my Rune and enough Mana in play...

I know its nothing Perfect, it just should be a good Casual Deck

ClearSkies
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
4 E.Tutors and Land Tax isn't legal in any Format, too

And I never said that I want to combo out and attempt to kill someone as fast as possible in one shot.
I have enough time when I have my Rune and enough Mana in play...

Of course it isn't. Why would it be? 4 Land Tax ensures you that you won't run out of mana for your Runes. Land Tax/Scroll Rack can search out for that Fluctutor far easier than 3 more Enlightened Tutor.

None of your win-conditions are evasive, and can be chump blocked all day. You look like you are going to lose the long game. You don't have any disruption and no protection for your creatures/enchantments.

NecroYawgmoth
12-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, Chumpblocking sucks...

I know that my Win is evasive, and yes I'm losing the long game if my Opponent is not single-colored... Becaues of that I play the Words XD... If all Creatures get handled, I win because the Opponent goes out of library *noob way ftw*^^

Because of this I started this thread, I wanted to ask: what can I do against Disruption, and how should I protect my Runes/Cantivores...

And I don't use fun as an universal meaning, I meant Casual...

Isamaru
12-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Even though I said that the source has the highest concentration of players who know what the format entails... I didn't say that they were kind or helpful by any means.

Yawgmoth's Will, I think you should turn this into a control deck with a combo finish. I like your idea of using all the runes.

Use the cycling lands like mentioned above, don't bother with Ancient Tomb. Then, without copying the deck, take a look at Rifter's card choices, but not in the anti-aggro sense, but in the control sense. Try making this a control deck with a combo finish.

xycsoscyx
12-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Why is everyone saying Rifter when you can easily look at Slide decks and stick to White. Slide will give you a better Agro matchup because you can keep removing their creatures, AND it will let you remove your own Vore by RFGing it for a moment.

FakeSpam
12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
-26 runes
+4 Story Circle

...wow, that frees up a lot of space. How about +4 enlightened tutor to go fetch them?

NecroYawgmoth
12-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah, too stupid that I'm already playing 4 Tutors...
too stupid that Cantivore is than only a 4/4 when they are all in Grave and too stupid that I play Stoic Champion than, because I can't cycle...

Elfrago
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Do you realize that Cantivore and Stoic Champion are not THAT good?
In fact they are pretty crappy as your only win conditions!
They both are answered by every removal in the format!
Seriusly, you need something better.
Some random ideas:
Eternal Dragon
Decree of Justice
Scepter + Chant
Manlands

Banelich
12-21-2007, 09:56 PM
As just a "fun deck," I've wanted to try using Library of Leng in a slide deck for infinate slide ablility, (though any time you use the library you lose draw advantage).

Other cards that crossed my mind when contemplating deck similar to the one you're working on were Life From the Loam for (cycle and fetch lands), Eternal Witness (good senergy with slide), Troll Acsetic (harder to answer) and Invigorating Boon, Decree of Justice, & possible singletons of Exalted Angel, Fangren Firstborn

Ultimately I decided against this deck as it is to combo-ish even for me, too slow and would get eaten by most legacy decks

ccmon
12-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Replenish puts them into play, where they get animated by an Opalescence and beat in? Maybe? At least it's a cute idea.:smile:

convert dvd to ipod (http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-movie-video-converter.html)
ipod converter (http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-movie-video-converter.html)