PDA

View Full Version : Mishra, Artificer Prodigy

No_Life_No_Future
12-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer 4/4, 1UBR (4)
Whenever you play an artifact spell, you may search your graveyard, hand, and/or library for a card with the same name as that spell and put it into play. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

This card flat out nuts when in play.

Sensei's Divining Top is good before you play this creature but is really nuts after.

Conjuers bauble is good too.

Its CC is a problem but it is so good with top could it not be in some type of control shell?

Arsenal
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
The lack of truly abuseable, game-winning artifacts in the Legacy meta is one of the many reasons he's still a $1 rare. His 1BRU casting cast is sort of prohibitive, and if you're paying 4 mana for something, it should probably (a.) win you the game right then (EtW, Tendrils), or (b.) set you up so that the chances of winning the game are greatly in your favor now (Fact or Fiction). Mishra would fall more into the second category, but it's requirements are rather steep and slow. Assuming you cast him turn 4, you must wait a turn before you are able to cast your artifact, assuming you have the needed artifact in your hand, and then he gets going.

If you're looking for a creature based, artifact toolbox deck, Trinket Mage is superior imo to Mishra in every way. The 4/4 body for 4 mana is nice, but if you're playing him for the effect he brings, Trinket Mage > Mishra.

Mental
12-16-2007, 11:24 AM
The lack of truly abuseable, game-winning artifacts in the Legacy meta is one of the many reasons he's still a $1 rare. His 1BRU casting cast is sort of prohibitive, and if you're paying 4 mana for something, it should probably (a.) win you the game right then (EtW, Tendrils), or (b.) set you up so that the chances of winning the game are greatly in your favor now (Fact or Fiction). Mishra would fall more into the second category, but it's requirements are rather steep and slow. Assuming you cast him turn 4, you must wait a turn before you are able to cast your artifact, assuming you have the needed artifact in your hand, and then he gets going.

If you're looking for a creature based, artifact toolbox deck, Trinket Mage is superior imo to Mishra in every way. The 4/4 body for 4 mana is nice, but if you're playing him for the effect he brings, Trinket Mage > Mishra.

To expand on what Arsenal said: Basically, if you run Mishra, everything needs to be at least a 2 of. That kills your toolbox so you're hand will often be filled with useless artifacts. Trinket Mage is superior because he encourages a toolbox and is very versatile.

Arsenal
12-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, sorry for my poor articulation. Basically, Trinket Mage > Mishra in almost every way that matters in Legacy. Don't get me wrong, I think Mishra is awesome when you look at him and imagine what he could potentially do for you, but he definitely falls into "the danger of cool things" category.

Benie Bederios
12-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer 4/4, 1UBR (4)
Whenever you play an artifact spell, you may search your graveyard, hand, and/or library for a card with the same name as that spell and put it into play. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

This card flat out nuts when in play.

Sensei's Divining Top is good before you play this creature but is really nuts after.

Conjuers bauble is good too.

Its CC is a problem but it is so good with top could it not be in some type of control shell?

Just a question, can it be used to put two Phyrexian Dreadnought in to play? Or would only one survive? If you can get two Dreadnoughts in to play on turn five it might be possible to play this card. If there only was a way to give them haste too. Then you could play a UBR control deck with this as a pseudo combo finish...

It's probably not viable though :confused:

Arsenal
12-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I think only one would survive. Also, if you could keep two out long enough so that both CiP triggers are still on the stack, you could Fling both of them for 24 pts. But that sounds so janky it's not even funny.

No_Life_No_Future
12-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah I'm also a big fan of trinket mage.

Mishra, Artificer Prodigy basically turns 2 Sensei's top into: "1: draw a card" I would say thats pretty game winning.... and you really wouldnt have to base a whole deck around it because Top is really good on its own.

Maybe it could take the slot of Enforcer in some strange UBR counter balance thresh.

ClearSkies
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Just a question, can it be used to put two Phyrexian Dreadnought in to play? Or would only one survive? If you can get two Dreadnoughts in to play on turn five it might be possible to play this card. If there only was a way to give them haste too. Then you could play a UBR control deck with this as a pseudo combo finish...

It's probably not viable though :confused:

You would have neither Dreadnought in play.

2nd one from Mishra's trigger ability comes into play first because it triggers when you PLAY an artifact spell, and the 2nd Phyrexian Dreadnought trigger comes up. You have nothing to sacrifice except the 2nd Phyrexian Dreadnought. Then, the first one comes into play, and you have to sacrifice it too.

No_Life_No_Future
12-16-2007, 12:06 PM
grr.. Reading ftw

Isamaru
12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Anyway, the best thing he has going for him is that you can play an artifact spell without passing priority, so that he at least gets to do his thing once. The easiest way to do that is to play a 0cc artifact (the baubles) to replace the card you (may) lose if (when) Mishra dies.

Otherwise, Epochrasite is what makes him so good.

Let me brainstorm...

2-3 Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
4 Epochrasite
4 Aether Vial
3 Sensei's Divining Top
8 Bauble?
3-4 Phyrexian Ironfoot? Phyrexian War Beast?
X Razormane Masticore or Masticore
2 Academy Ruins

3 Engineered Explosives... sadly they don't work right with him unless you want to hit zero cc "too" ...but it'd be a 3 color deck with Academy Ruins, so yeah...

3-4 Bottle Gnomes SB?

*shrug* and then protect him with 4FoW3Daze...

There has to be a better way...

hi-val
12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd be inclined to toss in something like Mind Stone or maaaaybe Prismatic Lens. You'll want some mana artifact acceleration, and dropping out two Mind Stones and then turning those into two cards doesn't seem awful. Of course, any Mishra deck would live and die on its ability to get Razormane Masticores into play.

Arsenal
12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Chromatic Star perhaps as 1cc mana + draw? The problem I see with this is that Mishra is the focal point of this deck; many of the cards without him are sorta janky. What happens when you don't draw/resolve/protect Mishra?

ClearSkies
12-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I think your wrong.. It would work because you would "play" one knought. Prodigy would trigger, you put 3 of them into play. Their CIP would go on the stack you could sack one to the other and be left with 1 dreadnought in play.

That is where you are wrong. The "Prodigy trigger" doesn't trigger itself because artifacts gained from the "Prodigy triggers" aren't played. So, there aren't 3 Dreadnoughts.

The two Dreadnoughts never see play together at the same time (read my post again), that is why you can't sacrifice one to another.

To clarify, the 2nd Phyrexian Dreadnought sacrifice trigger is on the stack on top of the 1st Phyrexian Dreadnought (1st Dreadnought haven't resolve yet) after you search it out using the Prodigy Trigger.

umbowta
12-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Mishra seems to be on color for Vial Affinity. It also would seem at first glance to produce an arbitrarily large combo with Ravager/Mishra/and either Star/Sphere/or Ornithopter. Fun, fun, fun.

FakeSpam
12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Pentad Prism is sick acceleration, and it would make Mishra very easy to play.

Epochrasite is probably the coolest thing to do with Mishra when he's in play, but that's besides the point. Mishra is a very big mana cheat. Anyway, someone played a deck built around him to a top 8 finish in the Time Spiral Block PTQ season not too long ago. Here is the list for reference:

Jonathon Loucks, PTQ Top 8
4 x Epochrasite
4 x Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
4 x Shadowmage Infiltrator
3 x Triskelavus
3 x Coalition Relic
4 x Damnation
1 x Pact of Negation
2 x Phyrexian Totem
4 x Prismatic Lens
1 x Slaughter Pact
1 x Take Possession
4 x Tendrils of Corruption
1 x Void
1 x Academy Ruins
2 x Graven Cairns
4 x Island
2 x Mountain
3 x Swamp
4 x Terramorphic Expanse
4 x Tolaria West
2 x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 x Urza's Factory
SIDEBOARD
4 x Boom/Bust
3 x Imp's Mischief
4 x Riptide Pilferer
2 x Slaughter Pact
1 x Take Possession
1 x Void

Obviously, most of that is shit because the format is so slow.

Also, the mana would be so easy to hit multiple colors in legacy. Hmm. I sure wouldn't mind a kind of artifact tubbies approach, using mishra to throw a ton of juggs, masticores and su-chis at people. Oh, yeah, and Mish is a beater himself.

Media314r8
12-18-2007, 11:36 PM
I would have to agree with the majority that Mishra is not playable YET in legacy. However, my friend and I have been contemplating different affinity builds for Extended, and this is one we've arrived at:

3x Mishra
4x Dark Confidant
4x Tormagoyf
4x Epocrocite (sick as hell with mishra in play)
4x Ravager
4x Arcbound Worker
3x Trinket Mage

4x Cranial Plating
2x SDT

4x Pentad Prism
4x Chromatic Star
2x Terration

4x Glimmervoid
4x Seat of the Synod
4x Vault of Whispers
4x Tree of Tales
4x Great Furnace

SB:
2x EE
2x Jitte
4x Crypt
4x Counterbalance (with 10 mana fixers, 4 voids, and 4 seats, UU shouldnt be a problem)
3x Pithing Needle

Just so crazy it could work. Just make sure you dont re-enact the infamous Anthony blunder and search for a second copy of jitte and put it into play. Yes, I realize there are no Thopter, but I decided that trinket mage was superior here. Trinket mage can fetch either terration, star, or prism to play mishra, and once mishra is out, he can fetch SDT for some nuts plays and CA. Top plays well with Bob to avoid the four/three to the dome.

I don't think it can be ported to legacy, as Vial has near dis-synergy with Mishra, and takes his place much better, as does disciple, ect. Just some food for thought and a potential deck for any adventuraous minds going to extended PTQs.

raharu
12-23-2007, 01:26 AM
AFFINITY!!!!! DUH! Holy cow, Mishra makes Affinity have a lot of late game Explosiveness that it lacks. I have been thinking about a list that looks somewhat like this:

Colored Spells: 11
Thoughtseize x4
Cabal Therapy x4
Thoughtcast x3

Colored Creatures: 7
Disciple of the Vault x4
Mishra, Artifacer Prodigy x3 (??? What is the right number here?)

Artifact Spells:
AEther Spellbomb x4 (Sick with Mishra, Sick with Cabal Therapy, sick with Affinity)
Chromatic Star x4 (with mishra this becomes :3: : add 2 mana of any color combination to your mana pool and draw two cards. SICK!)

Affinigy Creatures: 8
Frogmite x4
Myr Enforcer x4

Modular Creatures: 8
Arcbound Stinger x4
Acrbound Ravager x4 (multipule ravagers from Mishra, extra ravager food from Mishra, oh wow, I think that's gg)

18 lands

Glimervoid x3
Darksteel Citadel x2
Vault of Secrets x3
Great Furnace x3
Seat of the Synod x3
Blinxmoth Nexus x4

Please note that Mishra fetches Artifact lands.

Coments???

survival
12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
mishra needs a lot acceleration to be good in legacy if you wanna play it you need at least 4 lotus petal 2 pental prism and 4 chromatic star here's the list i would suggest

4 mishra artificer prodigy
4 epochrasite
4 arcbound ravager
3 frogmite
2 myr enforcer
4 chromatic star
3 pental prism
3 cranial plating
3 thoughtcast
4 moonglove extract
4 dicsiple of the vault
4 lotus petal
3 glimervoid
4 vault of whisper
3 seat of the synod
4 blinkmoth nexus
3 city of brass
1 academy ruins

Bovinious
12-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Please note that Mishra fetches Artifact lands.

No he doesnt, lands are not spells.