PDA

View Full Version : Dark Core

myselves
12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I've tested a lot with EtS, Dragon Stompy and Evil Stompy.
This is an attempt, to play a Deck like EtS, but with black creatures.

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
7 Swamp
1 Tomb of Urami
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Chrome Mox

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Trinisphere
4 Dark Ritual
4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Carnophage
4 Nakaya Shade
4 Sarcomancy
3 Razormane Masticore

The bigest problem is, that this deck hasn't got the Blood Moon and the Magus to rape so many decks, but B make up for with Discard, and a possible very explosive start.

Choices:
Tomb of Urami: this could be a thread.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: just to can use the Tombs for the Shade
CotV&3sphere: this cards are clear, aren't they?
Dark Ritual: the best accleration.
Thoughtseize&Duress: disrupt you opponent, after some testings, in my oppinion Duress is better then a Cabal Therapy
Jitte: could do everything here.
Carnophage&Sarcomancy: cheap critter.
Nakaya Shade: better than Nantuko Shade, cause it's 2cc
Razormane Masticore: I haven't found a better 'fattie' till now.

Shimster
12-16-2007, 02:31 PM
You should take a deeper look at this (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6119) deck, it's called Demon Stompy.

Regarding your list (and your explanation regarding Chalice), you should think about its use. You normally want to set it at one, which kills 16 of your cards right away.

Phantom
12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the Source.

No need to start a new thread for this deck

Demon Stompy (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6119&highlight=demon)

Also, I think you need to play those decks some more if you think running 16 one casting cost cards in a Chalice deck.

Edit: Ninja'd :/

Tacosnape
12-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Or you just cut your 2-CC Permanents for more 1CC ones and attempt to Chalice at 2 and 3.

Phantom
12-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Or you just cut your 2-CC Permanents for more 1CC ones and attempt to Chalice at 2 and 3.

That might be viable, but I've always felt that black relied on Jitte even more than the other colors (thanks to the added lifeloss and lack of removal and evasion). Of course, that might not be true with the printing of Shriekmaw, which btw should be included here.

myselves
12-16-2007, 03:27 PM
No need to start a new thread for this deck

Yes and no, I just thought about these Stompydeck(s), and I know Demon Stompy, but I actually don't like it, so I try to develop a new deck based on the priciple of these decks.
The main idea was just to play a creature and try to save the situation on the board (hope you understand what I mean) with a CotV/3sphere, which I actually would play for 0 at first, cause we have a lot of Fastcombo here.
If this works, I don't need more draw or a bigger creature, which Demon Stompy plays.

Also, I think you need to play those decks some more if you think running 16 one casting cost cards in a Chalice deck.

Yes, this might be true, till now, I've just tested a bit EtS and Demon Stompy, but I just want to play a little bit different like the normal Demon Stompy.
What Tacosnape suggested sounds interesting for me, I'll try to create a new version.

Oros, the Avenger
12-16-2007, 03:36 PM
But 1cc-Spells and 3sphere isnt the thing that sounds like synergy. Dragon/Faery/Demon/Whatever Stompy play cards so the sphere doesnt hurt them much. But if your deck consists of 1cc spells and you play 3sphere, its just as if you play chalice @ 1 when you got a hand of Lackeys/Chain Lightnings/Lightning Bolts.

myselves
12-16-2007, 03:41 PM
But 1cc-Spells and 3sphere isnt the thing that sounds like synergy. Dragon/Faery/Demon/Whatever Stompy play cards so the sphere doesnt hurt them much. But if your deck consists of 1cc spells and you play 3sphere, its just as if you play chalice @ 1 when you got a hand of Lackeys/Chain Lightnings/Lightning Bolts.

Nearly the same as I tried to explain before: First, you set down a creature (for example Shade/Carnophage), and then you play 3sphere to take of the other deck the speed.
I'll test it the next days/weaks, and if it don't work, I'll sulk:frown: .

vigilante
12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't think that laying down a frankly unimpressive

4 Carnophage
4 Nakaya Shade
4 Sarcomancy
then attempting to protect it with a CotV/Trini is really going to cut it. What happens when they Swords your creature in response to your lock piece, which will then sit there locking you out of the game? What about when they play a Tarmogoyf, which single-handedly outclasses almost everything this deck can throw at it?

Also
Nakaya Shade: better than Nantuko Shade, cause it's 2ccNot even remotely better than Nantuko Shade, which is also 2cc.

ReAnimated
12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
In these Stompy type decks you want to lay down the "lock" pieces BEFORE you start beating in. Your deck does the opposite, you can waste your first turn laying down a measly shade or some other unimpressive creature while combo can go off on you or ***** can cantrip and find a counter for your 3sphere i say you should just look into EtS or Demon stompy.

outsideangel
12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Carnophage and Sarcomancy are both terrible, horrible, awful threats. Vanilla 2/2s that also lose you life are the suck in a world of Tarmogoyf. You should probably replace them with something...ya know...good. Like Shriekmaw maybe. I hear that guy is pretty okay, especially when he kills a 'goyf and then swings in for 3.

You do get points for making me look up Nakaya Shade, though...who'd have thunk it.

Xurcks
12-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I would use Nantuko Shade over Nakaya Shade.The extra point of power is nice and I really don't like cards that give the opponent choices,even if in this case that condition won't happen a lot.(Oh...and Nantuko Shade's art is just kickass too :tongue: )