PDA

View Full Version : UB Tempo Fish

thefreakaccident
12-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Ok, Ok, Ok... now it may seem that I am randomly posting decks up now, but the one previously posted was not mine.

This on the other hand is mine and is just an idea that I thought could be a cool deck to play around with... Tempo Fish.

lands//20
4 wasteland
4 underground sea
4 polluted delta
3 island
2 swamp
1 watery grave
1 bloodstained mire
1 flooded strand

creatures//11
4 nakaya shade (looks terrible, but can eat face)
4 phyrexian negator (red is gone, he is quick and amazing)
3 dark confidant (draw engine anyone?)

spells//29
4 force of will
4 daze
4 stifle
3 thoughtseize
4 brainstorm
4 smother/diabolic edict
4 ponder
2 extirpate

sideboard//
2 extirpate
2 pithing needle
4 engineered explosives
4 engineered plague
3 withered wretch

The deck plays a tempo role much like UG threshold, except it has better disruption peices and a little bit more control... Not quite as aggressive though.

I would like some suggestions, I think this can be pretty strong (speculation)!

I will post card explanations and all tomorrow when I have the time!

Arsenal
12-18-2007, 08:56 AM
If you're running Nakaya over Nantuko because of Nantuko's BB casting cost; don't. You run enough black sources so that a turn 2 Shade is realistic. Also, by giving your opponent a chance to keep Nakaya little is bad, imo(even though it almost ensures that your post-combat main phase is free of their counters). You're giving the opponent the final choice on your damage output, not the other way around.

Because you don't run Meddling Mage, I'd stick with Ponder over Portent. Thoughtseize + Portent + Mage is nuts. But Ponder is strictly better than Portent in Mage-less Fish builds imo.

Even though Negator is a 5/5 monster, because you don't have any accel, the earliest he'll see play is turn 3. This is okay in general, but I feel as though you either (a) need him out sooner, before your opponent can even dream of answering, or (b) run more threats. Shade and Negator aren't quite enough if they don't see play earlier. Bob sorta counts too, but not really.

No equipment? That's a big departure from Fish. Jitte, the Swords simply win aggro matches and kills random jank you'll see in tourneys. Personally, in my UWB Fish, I've always found the equip to be strong. What have you thought of it so far?

thefreakaccident
12-18-2007, 09:05 AM
The nakaya was for col.or restraints, you guessed right on the money theer...

I never liked equipment, as it only improves your already existing threats (still 11 threats here = same amount of removal needed)...

Mage is missed, but the waste/stifle has improved the control and aggro-control MUs so mush that I am actually shocked.

Negator is amazing, he is a little slow... but for a huge fatty monster that wins in the attack phase (of coarse goyf wins here, and negator has his little drawback).

I would need some other really impressive creatures in order to alter my creature base... Does anyone have any in mind?

Arsenal
12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Serendib Efreet is a good choice. 3/4 flyer for 2U. The drawback is almost irrelevant is your beating face for bear-guarnteed 3 every turn.

The problem I see here is what advantages of this build are there over UWB Fish? UWB Fish runs more and better creatures, a better disruption/removal package, the same draw/card filter suite, and the sideboard becomes more flexible.

Nosomo.
12-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Nayaka Shade looks very weak yes you can pay :1: to pump the critter but it can use :2: to counter that, if it is mid game a goyf could win due to the counter of the pumps.

Thoughtseize+Confidant=Fail
In my opinion losing 3 life for a discard spell if flipped spells bad. Thoughtseize good but not with confidant.

Equipment: It works well with you critter base.

Illissius
12-18-2007, 06:46 PM
If the :b::b: in Nantuko Shade's cost is a problem, you won't be able to make good use of Nakaya either.

Nydaeli
12-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I would need some other really impressive creatures in order to alter my creature base... Does anyone have any in mind?

Tarmogoyf!

In other words, what advantages does this deck have over a tempo-oriented build of UGB Threshold?

thefreakaccident
12-18-2007, 07:28 PM
It doesn't... good call!

This was just a random idea anyways... you got a list for me?