PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Chan on Legacy...

TheAardvark
12-21-2007, 12:06 AM
It's interesting from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't normally play the format, but he namedropped Calosso.

I mean, Calosso!

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

He ended up playing G/B/R Survival with maindeck Magus of the Moon, going 3-2. Kinda cute. Here's the list:

Creatures
1 Anger
4 Birds Of Paradise
4 Eternal Witness
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Genesis
1 Indrik Stomphowler
3 Magus Of The Moon
2 Shriekmaw
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Tin Street Hooligan

Enchantments
4 Survival Of The Fittest

Legendary Creatures
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

Sorceries
4 Burning Wish
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Thoughtseize

Basic Lands
7 Forest

Lands
3 Bayou
3 Taiga
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Yep.

Bovinious
12-21-2007, 12:24 AM
What did he say about Calosso, how he sucks so much?

It seems lately that you are having issues making constructive posts. Although all the cool-kids may be Calosso-Bashing, this is still spam and a flame.

Warned for flaming.

-PR

TheAardvark
12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
"In Daytona Beach, Calosso Fuentes put together a very similar list for me, but only with three colors - Ghastly Demise replaced Swords to Plowshares, and the one of's in this deck were replaced by more copies of Thoughtseize."

Re: Threshold.

kirdape3
12-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Also, he was like 'Legacy at Worlds sucks because it's only 5 rounds. We should have a Legacy PT or PTQ season, then you'll see a ton of stuff going on - nobody had enough time or energy to break the format.'

Machinus
12-21-2007, 12:51 AM
This is Brian's deck, not Calosso's. He even played it in a bunch of tournaments.

AngryTroll
12-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Man, that's an article I would really love to read. That list is three cards off of what I run. +1 Darkheart Sliver, +1 Ravenous Baloth, +1 Big Game Hunter, -2 Witness.

What was his sideboard? Especially relevant because of the Wishes.

Did he spend a lot of time talking about the deck, or more about the state of Legacy, etc? I'd be really curious about his development process, his matchups percentages, how his rounds went, etc.

Obfuscate Freely
12-21-2007, 03:09 AM
"In Daytona Beach, Calosso Fuentes put together a very similar list for me, but only with three colors - Ghastly Demise replaced Swords to Plowshares, and the one of's in this deck were replaced by more copies of Thoughtseize."

Re: Threshold.
He's talking about our Thresh list there (the one Machinus played at TMLO3). I know, because Calosso asked me for it, so he could pass it on to people for Worlds. Tiago also got Brian's Survival list through Calosso, didn't he?

It is sort of frustrating that the sources of the lists aren't well-credited, but I don't know if that's because of Calosso or Tiago. Still, it is cool to know that Tiago already had a similar Thresh list (parallel development with Pros!).

Does he explain why he chose the deck he did? I'm very curious to know why he played Survival over Thresh, and whether he thought he made the right choice or not.

WiLdFiRe
12-21-2007, 06:03 AM
He was going to play this:
2 Exalted Angel
3 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
3 Fact or Fiction
4 Force of Will
3 Stifle
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Innocent Blood
4 Pernicious Deed
4 Standstill
2 Crucible of Worlds

2 Flooded Strand
4 Mishra's Factory
2 Nantuko Monastery
4 Polluted Delta
3 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
3 Underground Sea
3 Wasteland

Sideboard
4 Duress
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Engineered Plague
3 Red Elemental Blast

-Angels, Innocent Blood
+Goyf

but at the last minute he audibled into Survival. Oh, and he can't remember what the sb for the survival deck was at all

Ewokslayer
12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Tiago played my deck (as in the actual cards minus Tarmogoyf since they were busy losing in a standard side event :frown: ), with a minor change of replacing Feeder with the 3rd Magus in the board and replacing a sharpshooter with a 4th Plague in the board.

It is sort of frustrating that the sources of the lists aren't well-credited, but I don't know if that's because of Calosso or Tiago. Still, it is cool to know that Tiago already had a similar Thresh list (parallel development with Pros!).

I imagine it is because he got the lists/cards pretty much directly through Calosso and remembering who Calosso got it from would be a lot more work than reasonable.

EDIT: Does anyone know what he lost to? I can't read the article until I get home and I forgot to ask him at the time.

legacyplayer0
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
He lost to threshold and stompy.

Nihil Credo
12-21-2007, 09:49 AM
While the article is Premium, do you think it would be OK with SCG if someone quoted his general thoughts about Legacy? Stuff like how/if he liked the format, his thoughts about a Legacy PT, etc.

lynxcat
12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
He says that he likes the format, but that the incentives weren't there to really try to innovate the format. The biggest impediment was that Legacy was the last 5 rounds of a 16 round tournament, making it very possible that extensive Legacy prep would be meaningless if you performed poorly in another format. That, combined that with the prep they had to do for the other formats, time constraints and general weariness from a long competition season with many different constructed formats explains the lack of preparation by most players for the Legacy section. He says that a Legacy PT in place of the next Extended PT would be a good idea, but concedes that card availability probably prohibits the possibility of a Legacy qualifier season.

caiomarcos
12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
He also tells us how lucky a guy called lefebvre is.
Short story shorter: his ability to topdeck into Counterbalance/Top are not from this planet.

Does anyone really believe in the possibility of a Legacy PTQ season?
I'd love it! Either I'd sell my set of duals and buy a house or I'd compete against a dozen people who have the cards and have a greater chance of winning the whole thing.

Illissius
12-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I think Extended PTQs feeding a Legacy PT is probably the best we could get. Which is still pretty awesome.