PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Nightmare Stompy

Wobbles The Goose
12-25-2007, 08:31 AM
This is a deck based on sleep deprived delirium. I can not emphasize that enough. Basically, I was thinking about UB Faerie Stompy and that thread talking about aggro combos. One thing lead to another:

// Lands
2 [TSP] Island (1)
4 [EX] City of Traitors
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
3 [B] Underground Sea
1 [IN] Swamp (3)

// Creatures
1 [SC] Shoreline Ranger
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [UL] Cloud of Faeries
4 [US] Priest of Gix
4 [FD] Trinket Mage
2 [US] Peregrine Drake
1 [MM] Rishadan Cutpurse
4 [AQ] Su-Chi

// Spells
1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
2 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
3 [EX] Recurring Nightmare
4 [AL] Force of Will
2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [P2] Sea Drake
SB: 4 [R] Serendib Efreet
SB: 2 [LRW] Shriekmaw

Ok, more testing has been done, including some basic math lessions so the deck can actually combo. Note that in order to go off, you need to have Peregrin drake/su-chi in play/yard to actually net mana on the nightmare. If you are netting mana though, it's really easy to draw lots of cards with either with mulldrifter or trinket mage and from there it's basically impossible to lose.

The combo game plan is really rather secondary to using free creature to play your entire hand by turn three and attacking with equipped creatures. In beatdown mode, nightmare can still quickly refill your hand off of mulldrifter or allow multiple trinket mage activations.

The combo allows for much better matchups against prison decks, and a fair share of wins out of nowhere in the late game against landstill/thresh.

Comments and feedback would be appreciated.

Wobbles The Goose
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Sorry about massively necroing this thread. As it recieved no discussion the first time around, I don't really see this as getting "discussion rolling again".

More importantly, this deck received several excellent new cards over the course of the last year, particularly in the form of Sigil of Distinction. (Although Glen Elendra Archmage is also very interesting) It's pretty good in a deck capable of generating infinite mana. As such, I would cut the jittes for a sigil and a needle, but your results may vary.

If your Faerie stompy deck is having problems with Stax or other prison builds, I highly recommend this.

Media314r8
11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
19 total blue cards to pitch to Force/Chrome mox? I fail to see how this deck is better against stacks/prision shells. Your combo takes time and a fair amount of mana to set up, and you play 3 basics. All the stacks builds im aware of curently play crucible+wastes and/or armageddon effects. I don't see you getting the combo on line with no ways to tutor before they wastelock or stak you out of the game. Also, you lack the fast, flying beats of FS, which usually get in for the early damage against stacks, so you dont have to worry about swinging for 20 after they have prision/propaganda in play. I don't want to knock on the deck, I'm just looking for explinations on why this is better than FS. FS + MB leylines + MB helm of obediance (name?) seems like a better MD 'combo'

tl;dr: why is a three-card GY reliant combo that also requires an enabler like drifter or mage to use the mana on, and doesnt win on the spot better than painter/grindstone or leyline/helm, both two card combos that win on the spot? (stone can also be searched by mage, and painter can wield eqips and name 'blue'- allowing for lands to be pitched to force and mox, ect.

talking about aggro combos....

Do what now?

Wobbles The Goose
11-19-2008, 11:56 PM
19 total blue cards to pitch to Force/Chrome mox?

It's low for Force, not impossible, but low. Also, their are 26 colored cards for moxen.

Also, you lack the fast, flying beats of FS, which usually get in for the early damage against stacks, so you dont have to worry about swinging for 20 after they have prision/propaganda in play. I don't want to knock on the deck, I'm just looking for explinations on why this is better than FS. FS + MB leylines + MB helm of obediance (name?) seems like a better MD 'combo'

Well, you do have a considerable army regardless. This deck plays out its hand much faster than most stompy builds, due to priests and cloud of faeries. Then you need a way to rebuild their hands after this first wave of assault. This is a flaw I've seen with older builds. Recurring Nightmare is a great way to rebuild your force, that traditional builds don't have. The fact that the deck can combo with it is more of a secondary feature that is nice to have when it happens. My experience with FS is that it can run out of gas with disastrous results and it then lacks a strong engine to get going again. Meanwhile, something like Leyline/Helm is way different, as Helms don't do anything before you combo and leylines are ridiculously expensive. Painter would be interesting to fit into a Blue Stompy shell, but it'd be hard to not make that the focus of the deck.

Meanwhile, this is stompy build that focuses on emptying it's hand as soon as possible, then keeping up pressure with nightmare and mulldrifters. And in the late game, drawing a recurring nightmare can result in an instant win.

Do what now?

There was a thread around a year ago discussing aggro/combo hybrid decks. Those that were able to be primarily an aggro deck, with a combo backup plan. I can't seem to find the link to it now.