PDA

View Full Version : [Discuss] Sunny Side Up

Karmic Angel
12-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this deck, but it peaked my interest while watching a year old disclosure on Worlds. The deck consists of the following:

Sunny Side Up (Extended)

Sorcery:
4x Reshape

Instants:
4x Second Sunrise
2x Cunning Wish
1x Orim's Chant

Artifacts:
4x Chromatic Star
4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Conjurer's Bauble
4x Darkwater Egg
4x Lotus Bloom
1x Pyrite Spellbomb
4x Skycloud Egg
4x Sungrass Egg

Lands:
4x Archaeological Dig
2x Cephalid Coliseum
4x Ghost Quarter
6x Island
2x Plains
2x Seat of Synod

Sideboad:
2x Ancient Grudge
1x Angel's Grace
1x Brain Freeze
1x Echoing Truth
1x Krosan Grip
2x Orim's Chant
1x Reclaim
1x Seedtime
1x Spoils of the Vault
1x Stifle
1x Wipe Away
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Pithing Needle

Sunny Side Up (Legacy)

Creatures:
4x Tinder Wall

Instants:
1x Abeyance
1x Angel's Grace
1x Chain of Vapor
4x Crop Rotation
4x Mystical Tutor
4x Reclaim
4x Second Sunrise

Artifacts:
4x Chromatic Star
4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Conjurer's Bauble
1x Lion's Eye Diamond
4x Lotus Petal
4x Skycloud Egg
4x Sungrass Egg

Lands:
4x Archaeological Dig
1x Cephalid Coliseum
3x City of Traitors
4x Crystal Vein

Sideboard:
2x Angel's Grace
3x Echoing Truth
1x Gaea's Blessing
4x Defense Grid
4x Phyrexian Furnace
1x City of Traitors

I'll speak about the Extended version first. It works around playing all the different "Eggs" the first couple of turns, then proceeding to produce some mana through Lotus Bloom and the 'Sac Lands' and drawing cards. Once you've drawn into a Second Sunrise you continue this process until the entire deck has been drawn.

After you've done that, your win conditions are as follows: Cunning Wish > Brain Freeze; or continue the process and keep returning Pyrite Spellbomb or Cephalid Coliseum, via Conjurer's Bauble, until your opponent is dead, or has drawn out his entire deck.

Legacy version is essentially the same thing, except the only win condition comes from the Coliseum.

Both of these decks are relatively inexpensive, and allow for a nice combo tricks while being enjoyable at the same time.

Kronicler
12-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I played this deck in extended a while ago and I don't think it's possible to make it competitive in legacy. The deck sure was fun to play, but it was quite fragile and I found myself hated out in every match I played with it. As far as combo decks go there are already much faster and more resilient decks in the format, and they aren't too expensive either (TES, for example). If you are just looking for a fun, inexpensive deck though, then I urge you to pick this deck up because it really is a blast to play.

In terms of actually commenting on the list, IMO you should definitely play 4 LEDs. It can do stupid stuff in this deck, like crack an egg, in response mystical for 2nd sunrise, in response crack LED. Then you end up with 2nd sunrise in hand and 3 mana with which you can play it! Seems strong.

Kronicler

Karmic Angel
12-26-2007, 03:47 PM
I played this deck in extended a while ago and I don't think it's possible to make it competitive in legacy. The deck sure was fun to play, but it was quite fragile and I found myself hated out in every match I played with it. As far as combo decks go there are already much faster and more resilient decks in the format, and they aren't too expensive either (TES, for example). If you are just looking for a fun, inexpensive deck though, then I urge you to pick this deck up because it really is a blast to play.

Kronicler

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can't be 'competitive' but it's still something worth trying, as you stated. The deck is more geared towards Extended, I just wanted to post a decklist for Legacy just in case someone was interested.

Angelfire
12-26-2007, 04:04 PM
To make this competitive you should look into a few of the decks problems. The first is Helm of Awakening. Helm is fantastic in this kind of deck.

The deck seems very reliant on Second Sunrise. Your only protection is one Abeyance. The deck also loses to Extirpate and Meddling Mage (I'm sure they could almost always counter Echoing Truth).

bladewing019
12-26-2007, 04:06 PM
For a legacy version I would build off of this post http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=99790&postcount=9

He has done a lot of work with Legacy Eggs and that build is a solid starting point. That said now that everyone and their brother is playing Counterbalance this deck doesn't do very well.

EDIT* Angelfire- Helm was discarded as not good enough along time ago. It just helps your opponent too much, and with Legacy's sac lands it is usually unnecessary.

KillemallCFH
12-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Eggs sucks in Legacy. Period. I used to play it and even brought it to a tournament. It is way too fragile and almost strictly inferior to most other combo decks available in Legacy.

Cavius The Great
12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Didn't Evil Roopey start an Eggs Tendrils deck in Legacy like two years ago? This idea has already been done.

Sanguine Voyeur
12-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Here's a list I was toying with a few months ago, before the rise of Thresh;

Sunrise Eggs
Lands
4 Crystal Vein
4 Archaeological Dig
1 Barbarian Ring
1 Cephalid Coliseum
4 City of Traitors

Creatures
4 Tinder Wall
4 Wild Cantor

Spells
4 Second Sunrise
3 Cunning Wish
4 Lotus Petal
4 Chromatic Star
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Skycloud Egg
2 Sungrass Egg
3 Reclaim
4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Mystical Tutor
1 Crop Rotation
1 Summer Bloom

Sideboard
1 Reclaim
1 Spoils of the Vault
1 Rushing River
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Krosan Grip
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Angel's Grace
4 Abeyance

I found Lion's Eye Diamond to be superfluous and its draw back too severe.

Eggs sucks in Legacy. Period. I used to play it and even brought it to a tournament. It is way too fragile and almost strictly inferior to most other combo decks available in Legacy.This is true. A single Force can severely cripple you, leaving you with no permanents and life loss from mana burn.

Didn't Evil Roopey start an Eggs Tendrils deck in Legacy like two years ago? This idea has already been done.He did. It was called Nausea (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2640).

bladewing019
12-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Eggs sucks in Legacy. Period. I used to play it and even brought it to a tournament. It is way too fragile and almost strictly inferior to most other combo decks available in Legacy.

The deck could play through a lot of the common hate but the learning curve was ridiculous. But now the only real answer to Extirpate is Cunning Wish, and you scoop to Counterbalance + Top.

- Sanguine Voyeur: You need Abeyance so you don't scoop to a mogg fanatic. Cephalid Coliseum is also a way to dig through the deck, while doubling as a win condition. EDIT* sorry i completely missed them in your list

This meta definitely makes this deck almost completely unplayable but it is pretty fun.

Sanguine Voyeur
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
- Sanguine Voyeur: You need Abeyance so you don't scoop to a mogg fanatic. Cephalid Coliseum is also a way to dig through the deck, while doubling as a win condition.I'm aware of this, that's why I ran both.

Abeyance is mostly to blank disruption, mostly Force and counterspells. Angel's Grace is there so that I don't die to Fanatics, Coliseum, and such while acting as an emergency Fog.

Most cards in my deck are either mana producers or have multiple uses [or both.]

blitz
12-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, this deck isn't really very good in this format, as most other combo is either faster (TES, SI, Belcher, etc), or more resilient (Ichorid, Ceph Break, Solidarity, etc).

It is pretty consistent, though, and a blast to play.

Here's a list a came up with from the same thread:

Land
2 City of Traitors
4 Crystal Vein
3 Archaeological Dig

Win Condition
1 Cephalid Coliseum

Mana Acceleration
4 Tinder Wall
4 Lotus Petal
4 Crop Rotation
1 Lion's Eye Diamond

Fuel
4 Chromatic Star
4 Chromatic Sphere
3 Sungrass Egg
2 Skycloud Egg
4 Street Wraith
1 Horizon Canopy

Protection
1 Abeyance
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Angel's Grace

Engine
4 Second Sunrise
4 Reclaim
4 Mystical Tutor

4 crop rotations to 1 LED is just a better plan for this deck. Pre combo, it acts as protection and setup. When comboing, it fixes or accelerates your mana, tutors up coliseum or horizon when you haven't enough eggs, and thins the deck of lands (which the deck hates to draw).

4 Street Wraith let you get sunrise in hand for U or G without needing to play and crack an egg. It's even possible to turn 1 kill with street wraiths help =D It's inclusion meant running less land and eggs, meaning more density for the sunrises and tutors as well (which improves the deck's resiliency and consistency).

Not really sure on the sideboard. It just won't do the deck justice since It's hard to remove any part of the deck without lowering the consistency. Generally though, it should be cards that can be fetched by Mystical Tutor.

maybe something like...

4 Leyline of the Void
3 Abeyance
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Echoing Truth
3 Krosan Grip
1 Demonfire
1 Wipe Away