DBFA-Stompy

Content:
1. About the deck
2. The list
3. Card explanations
4. Matchups
5. Weaknesses

About the deck:
Well, I’ll concede: It’s really simply another Ancient Tomb-Stompy.dec, but this time totally in green.
The general idea is powering out fat creatures as fast a possible, maybe equipping them with Loxodon Warhammer or Sword of Fire and Ice, and then just beating the opponent to death. In the meantime he/she can be disrupted by Chalice of the Void or Trinisphere.
The main advantage of green in this deck is that we have access to cards like Tarmogoyf who is incidentally the best green creature in the game, Garruk Wildspeaker as the best of the Planeswalkers that are printed by now, who has a great synergy with the 2-mana lands and produces creatures by himself and Iwamori who’s just an undercosted beater.
Additionally this Deck can’t randomly lose to the protection Sword of Fire and Ice grants or random Blasts like Faerie or Dragon Stompy do.
Green also offers good sideboarding options with cards like Krosan Grip and Choke.

The list:
// Lands
10 [ON] Forest (1)
4 [EX] City of Traitors
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb

// Creatures
3 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
3 [VI] River Boa
4 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
3 Iwamori of the Open Fist
3 [DIS] Loaming Shaman
3 [FUT] Tarmogoyf

// Spells
4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
3 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
2 [MR] Loxodon Warhammer
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
3 [DS] Trinisphere
4 [OD] Call of the Herd
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [TS] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [TE] Choke

Changes:
- Removed Treetop Village. Lands that come into play tapped are indeed not too good for this deck.
- Baloth went for Colossus.
- Testing Warhammer instead of Jitte

Card explanations:

Mainboard:
The lands: 18 + 4 Mox + 4 ESG is enough to get to 4 mana

Chameleon Colossus: 4/4 for 4 generally sounds good. The fact that it's a Changeling doesn't really matter (except maybe getting +1/+1 and Mountainwalk against an opposing Goblin King...). Protection from Black is incredibly good against all sorts of B/x Disruption and can be sometimes good against Ichorid. And finally the pump ability. Especially with an equipment it's most of the time gamewinning.

Elvish Spirit Guide: Wonderful accelerator that, in contrast to Chrome Mox, isn’t a dead draw if we have no cards in hand.
Iwamori of the Open Fist: Playing this guy in turn 2 is so unbelievable good…Trample has by the way some synergy with SoFaI…

Loaming Shaman: Very good card against opposing goyfs and mongeese. Of course it’s additionally also raping Ichorid…sometimes. Anyway, this guy will be replaced by next better creature with a cost of 2G that gets printed, because we can also play Tormod’s Crypt in the sideboard which is more efficient. But so far a 3 power guy with that cost and an extra-ability isn’t that bad.

Tarmogoyf: Doesn’t really grow from our own graveyard, but most of the time the opponent will help making it bigger. The rest is self-explanatory…

Chalice of the Void: Wins some matchups on its own. The main reason to play the 2-mana lands.
Sword of Fire and Ice: Enables fast kills and is a extremely good card against Goblins, Faerie Stompy, Dragon Stompy, Burn …well, all red and blue decks. Furthermore it creates the card advantage that is very much neede in the deck

Umezawa’s Jitte: Compensates for Ancient Tomb's lifeloss and gives our creatures kind of an evasion.

Chrome Mox: Creates extreme tempo advantage.

Trinisphere: Great disruption card against Threshold that can totally wreck combo decks

Call of the Herd: Our wannabe-creature. Creates card advantage and fits perfectly into the curve.

Garruk Wildspeaker: Unbelievable good. Making a 3/3 token every turn in a format where - except Goyf - there’s nearly no creature bigger than 3/3 is game winning and even if Garruk gets killed after he made a token, he still created card advantage. If we can afford to play more creatures (e.g. if the opponent doesn’t play massremoval) he can simply untap lands to make more mana. Also, he does not die to Pernicious Deed and this can be a big advantage against control decks.

Sideboard:

Trinisphere: Excellent card against combodecks and can also be boarded in against NQG

Pithing Needle: Shuts down Deed which is one of the mayor problems the deck has to deal with. Besides it has of course the same versatility as in every other deck.

Tormod’s Crypt: Against Ichorid and Cephalid Breakfast as an addition to the Loaming Shamans, because the can be cracked at instant speed.

Krosan Grip: Self-explanatory

Choke: Godlike against any U-based (aggro-)control deck.

Matchups:

Goblins:
Basically a good MU. The Equipments shine here. Warhammer gets us out of alpha strike range and gives trample so that chumpblocking is useless. Furthermore there’s also the Sword of Fire and Ice which makes our creatures unblockable and kills theirs. Also our beaters are much bigger than theirs and should be able to block the whole long day until you find a Jitte or Sword. On the play a first turn chalice at 1 is very good because it counters Vial, Lackey and Swords thus buying us a turn. If they can’t play their Ringleader until turn 4 we have enough time to establish a good boardposition enabling us to win the damage race. Our only problem is when we don’t draw enough creatures or they draw too many, so that they can just attack into our board.
Postboard the matchup is a bit harder because they can board in Krosan Grips to destroy our equipments and Engineered Explosives which are able to destroy our Chalices, Moxen, Elephants and Beasts if set at 0.
We don’t have anything relevant to board.
Preboard: circa 55-60%
Postboard: 50%

NGQr & NQGw:
Chalice and River Boa are your very best friends. Resolve a Chalice set at 1 and you have shut down about 1/3 of their deck (inclusive all their removal), then resolve a Tarmogoyf to stall the board and mindlessly play out all your creatures to win. The only thing you can lose to is too much countermagic or too much goyf-action on the opponent side of the field, because Goyf can be bigger than all the creatures they let you resolve. Of course if you have a Chalice at 1 and a River Boa out you have mostly won the game. (Against the red version the boa is even better, because it can’t be removed)
We board in some number of Chokes and Trinispheres, maybe some Needles (on fetchies) if we can fit them in, and we have a solid mana denial plan for them. But we also have to be aware of possible Krosan Grips and Engineered Explosives, like in the Goblin MU.
Preboard: circa 75%
Postboard: about 75-80%
The MU only becomes better if they play Balance-Top. CB doesn’t hit most of our spells because they cost 3 or 4 and Top is just another spell that gets countered by Chalice.

UG Thresh:
This one is a bit harder than the other ones, because they play Wasteland. If they waste our only 2-mana land we will have a problem keeping up with playing threats.
The rest is pretty much the same like with the other two, except here I would leave the Chokes in the SB because they also play basic forests to keep on playing creatures. Maybe board some Needles against Wasteland.
Preboard: 70%
Postboard: 70%
Also the same with Balance-Top as above.

4c Landstill (UWbg):
Horrible. They have too much control for us. Most of our real threats are countered or - if not – sworded. Deed totally rapes our ass as we have no carddraw to recover before the landstill player has the total board control. Also we pretty much lose to recurring factories unless we get out an Iwamori (with an equipment). We can only hope to get out a Chalice at 1 and a River Boa and that our opponent doesn’t get a Deed or that Garruk wins the game on his own…
If they play an Enlightened Tutor toolbox we do better at sideboarding, because Moat simply reads “You win the game”.
After game 1 we bring in all 4 Choke, some number of Grips (maybe 2 or 3; 4 against Moat) and the 2 Pithing Needle to fight Deed. The MU becomes a bit better, because most LS-builds only have Grip to board against us.
Preboard: circa 30%
Postboard: 35-40%

Belcher:
Quite winnable though the Belcher player most times is too fast for us, but if we manage to play out a Chalice or 3-Sphere on turn one we have bought us a lot of time to beat him down. I we know our opponent is playing belcher we have to aggressively mulligan into one of the disruption pieces. If they ETW we’ve got to hope that the creatures we can play out and/or a Jitte are enough to stop the horde.
After boarding the MU is a bit better because we have the full playset of Trinispheres plus some Krosan Grip and/or Needles and they will at most bring in some Shattering Sprees.
Preboard: 45-50%
Postboard: 50-60%

TES:
Even a bit better, because they are not as lightning fast as belcher is, so we have usually one or two more turns time to play some disruption. A “Draw-4, go” can be our Chance to finish the opponent off before he gets to combo out.
After boarding again we complete our playset of Spheres, but of course leave the Needles and Grips.
Preboard: 55-60%
Postboard: 60%

Ichorid:
Again we have got to hope that we draw one of our disruption pieces and can stand the hordes of horrors and zombies trying to kill us. Loaming Shaman is a very good tool, if they don’t finish us off in one turn, because he can shuffle away all the dredge cards and bridges. If that happens and our opponent already hasn’t got a hand anymore, we have pretty much won the game. Still the matchup is very dependant on who begins the first game. I we are on the play either a chalice or a sphere can win us the game, since they can play any Putrid Imps and/or Breakthroughs or something anymore. 2 Chalices are also nice.
After boarding we have one more Sphere and also the 3 Crypts.
Preboard: 50%
Postboard: 65%

Faerie Stompy:
Their creatures are too small for ours, so we have the faster clock, but it still depends on who draws more creatures and equipment. A creature equipped with a SoFaI can single-handedly win us the game, because it’s also unblockable.
But we have to be aware of too quick starts. A first turn Sea Drake plus a second turn equipment makes us simply lose, because we have no removal.
We board in the 4 Krosan Grips for 4 Chalices and the Spheres for Chokes (combined with Back to Basics = lock; they're green). Basically not much changes after boarding except that we have got to look after Binding Grasps or Control Magic or the like…
Preboard: 50%
Postboard: 50%

Deadguy Ale (/g):
Again Chalice is our friend. Chalice can be set at 1 or 2 depending on our hand, but most times a Chalice at 2 is better, because it shuts down every creature they play, except the Hypnotic Spectres (against the green version every creature). But we have to be aware of sinkholes and wastelands that can randomly make us lose if we don’t draw enough lands. If they play green we additionally have to be aware of Deed and Goyfs that can be to big for us. Garruk shines in this matchup since he produces his own bodyguard, which are bigger than their creatures. The can protection from black of our Colossus can often win the game for us.
After boarding we have the playset 3-Spheres and against the green version additionally the two needles to fight Deed (and Wasteland).
Preboard: about 70%
Postboard: depending on their board about 70%
Both a bit worse against the green version

[B]Weaknesses:

The deck has 3 mayor problems
1.It’s very dependant on good draw to play fluidly. Sometimes the deck can lose to its own mana base, e.g. if you don’t draw enough (permanent) green mana or too many of the 2-mana lands.
2. The deck looses to mass removal or cards like Moat and Humility. Against Moat the deck can’t even recover like against a Pernicious Deed. If the opponent puts Moat into play the deck begins to board. If we know the opponent is playing deed we must be aware not to overextend. Normally 2 small Creatures or one big Creature are enough against such decks.
3. It's more expensive then Dragon Stompy.

I hope you enjoyed my little primer about this deck and wish everybody else good luck.
Special thanks to my team, the PCA, and mom and dad

Damnit, actually the Decks name is DBFA-Stompy not DFBA-Stompy

zulander
12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow... what a freakin beating. Me and Jesse Krieger were working on the same exact concept only to have YOU post this up there and beat us to the punch LOL. It's all good I guess, now on to testing real decks for the winter wonderland tournament. For reference here's my version of the build.

Mana: 22
10 Forest
4 City
4 Tomb
4 Chrome mox

Beats: 20
4 Goyf
4 ESG
4 Call of the Herd
4 Ravenous Baloth
4 Ifh-Biff

Disruption: 11
4 Chalice
4 Tangle Wire
3 Trinisphere

Other: 7
3 Garruk
2 Jitte
2 SoFI

The deck freakin rocks with Tangle wire and Garruk. The board consists of Crypts, Grips and Winter orb and other metagame slots. Damn you to hell DAMNIT!!!

Nice primer btw, donkey!

Lol, I'm not really mad at you, just mad that you beat me to it :(

Edit: A couple of concerns regarding your deck.

1. The major problem with chalice decks is consistency and really, 2/3 of's don't help that at all.
2. While treetop village is cute, you really need that land to come into play untapped to get the busted turn 2 plays. Playing village go turn 1 is a beating against you and fun for them.
3. Loaming Shaman = Very good call. Wish I thought of him but I don't know where I'd put him in.
4. River Boa is nice but I think flying is the key evasion method the deck needs. You really need to be able to get an active SoFI/Jitte against goblins/sui etc... I'd suggest Silhana Ledgewalker if you aren't keen on Ifh-Biff.
5. I know I said this, but MORE 4 of's lol.
6. The reason I only play a 2/2 split of equipment is because of Garruk. He's like equipment slots 5-8 with his overrun ability. Combine him with tangle wire and he's like amazing saucey cream in your pants.
7. More disruption! From my testing the deck doesn't lose due to lack of creatures and beats, but due to a lack of effective disruption against the opponent. This is where tangle wire's shine. They win you the game if they resolve after turn 4, especially if you're holding multiples in your hand.

Edit 2: Not to completely hijack your thread, but how does BGS go for a name? It stood for Big-Green Stompy.

Jak
12-26-2007, 07:28 PM
If you are running Garruk and mana denial stuff like Trini and Wire, why no Rishadan Port? Seems it could really be awesome.

Spectör
12-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, the many 3-ofs are quite reasonable.
Only 3 Iwamori, because he's legendary (can be a problem).
3 Goyf because they're dependant on the opponent's graveyard, since we don't play cards that should go into the graveyard.
Originally there were 4 River Boa and only 2 Goyf in the Deck but I thought a 3/3 split would be better
They other 2 cards are 3-ofs, because there weren't enough Slots for them.

I like your idea of the Efreet and I will surely test it, but instead of the Baloths because I like Iwamori more.
Tangle, however, is a very strange idea. I don't know if playing it in an aggro deck is the right way to go, but I will test it nonetheless.

As for the Equipments: I don't think you should put Garruk on a level with the equipments. Many times he has still the role of a token producer that will probably never come to get 4 counters again and if you remove 4 counters you have to have at least 2 creatures in play to make it more effective than an equipment.

Concerning the name: I'm calling this deck DBFA-Stompy since 2006 and won't stop that now. And you probably won't ever find out what it means (it's german anyway). :P

@ Jak.: The first point of the weaknesses reads that we often have problems to have two permanent green mana. Do you think it will be better with adding Rishadan Port?

PS: Sry for opening the thread before you =)

Jak
12-26-2007, 08:19 PM
@ Jak.: The first point of the weaknesses reads that we often have problems to have two permanent green mana. Do you think it will be better with adding Rishadan Port?

The deck should run Mox. ESG is really good but Chrome Mox is just better. I would also drop the Villages because that will help you get Green. Just run a base like this.

4 City
4 Tomb
6 Forest
4 Port

4 ESG
4 Chrome Mox

That would be 14 green sources.

technogeek5000
12-26-2007, 09:20 PM
I also had a version of this deck for the contest but decided on something else thankfully. Some thing i found out was that chameleon colossus from morningtide is ridiculous in this deck. It is easy to pump him twice with garruk and he is often the biggest creature you have on the field.

Oh and i used plow under as another control piece. Its nice because this deck can cast it turn 3, setting the opponent back 2 turns and wrecking thoe turns draws. Its also good late game which is a rare thing for control cards.

BreathWeapon
12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm a big fan of Changeling Colossus as well, at 8/8 it's almost impossible for a Tarmogoyf to trade with it, even if you're Plansewalker is in the grave yard, and Protection from Black keeps Shriekmaw and Ghastly Demise at bay.

@Jak: Rishadan Port is terrible, what is a Rishadan Port going to do that a Tangle Wire or Choke wouldn't do better? The deck needs at least 11 Forest, 4 Chrome Mox and 4 Elvish Spirit Guide just to be able to support the GG requirements.

Illissius
12-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Have you considered Hunted Wumpus? The mana cost is great, he's fricking huge, and people don't run many expensive monsters these days.

Versus
12-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Dammit! I was gonna post the same type of deck as well. Garruk and his first ability combined with the double cc lands is amazing. Very much like CoF in FS. Have you considered Gaea's Cradles at all to further abuse his ability?

Would Harmonize work here? Not favored in Legacy, but I think the added accel of this deck could make it worthwhile and add a bit more consistancy.

Zach Tartell
12-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Legit +1-ery FTW:

High-five for the drunkenness. I played against:

Armageddon Stax:
G1: Turn one Chalice for one yeilds my opponent using the "show card" function to show me his tomb and chalice. Garruk makes some awesome shennanagins, 'specially after I drop my second land after geddon and play every relevant spell in my deck. It came down to Iwomari racing Exaulted Angel and losing.
G2: Turn 1 Call of the Herd. Turn Two Garruk, make a herd token. Turn three flashback Herd off of land (not taking tomb damage FTW), he wraths. Turn Four flash back herd, play herd from hand through land untapping shenagagins. Turn 5 win with super duper over-run man.
G3: Bad things happened. Multiple armageddons suck when you can't hit Garruk mana, and EE @0 with chalice @ 2 severely sucked (I know, he'd've let me play goyfs if he popped it, but my calls were burried and I had all three river boas in hand.

3cAS (or some such - resembeled friendly Phil's old version):
G1: He gets steam rolled by Call tokens and Goyf Goodness.
G2: Turn 1 mox imprinting spectral Lynx (headache), tomb, morph. Turn two, plains, flip Angel.
G3: Rinse, repeat. I swear he was cheating.

UG Gro:
G1: Turn 1 Goose goes the whole way. I swear, this deck plays creatures (turn 2 sphere isn't good on the draw, chalice at 1 gets Spell Snare'd).
G2: I swear this guy boarded in at least two echoing truths and probably three Engineered Explosives. He was ballsy and dropped exploseives at 2 to two-for-1 my turn 1 and turn 2 Goyfs, then sealed it with a couple well timed wastelands and a topdecked EE @ 0 to pwn my two Garruk tokens and chrome mox. Savage.

My own fucking Enchantress, card for card, from my most recent list (Flattering, but the kid said he coppied LSV instead of me):
G1: Turn 2 Moat.
G2: Turns out that Sterling Grove is pretty good against Krosan Grip. Like, wicked good. And Replenishing after I grip the first and you spend your second is game.

TES:
G1: He wins on the play
G2: Turn 1 CHalice @0, 3sphere. Turn 2 chalice at 1.
G3: 6 Goblins are good - if only my :2: tap land was City instead, I'd've been able to race him, maybe.

Dragon Stompy:
G1: Turn 1 3sphere, to which he answers mountain, go. I do a happy dance, finally able to win a game. I drop a goyf, which he answers with City, Seehting Song, Arc Slogger. He pwns it next turn by rfg-ing 9 land and a Pit Dragon, then swings FTW while I sit on :2::g: with Garruk in my hand as my only non-artifact card. Weak.
G2: You know what it says in Taco's sig? Turns out that happens sometimes.

While I may have been collussoly unlucky, I think that this is just the worst possible of the Stompy's.

This Taco mentioned that there are 6 decks of this ilk:

Dragon
Demon
Faerie
Angel
Iwomari (I don't know that there's a name for mono-green + brown stompy)
5/3

This is probably the worst of that list, jsut because Green just isn't that good at :x::g: beaters that dont' suck, and because it has so little game vs. combo. Maybe with like Thorn of Amethyst or whatever. Not right now, though.

Edit: Turns out we dont' have an "x" mana button. Somebody get on that.

Lego
12-27-2007, 03:46 AM
This is probably the worst of that list, jsut because Green just isn't that good at :x::g: beaters that dont' suck, and because it has so little game vs. combo. Maybe with like Thorn of Amethyst or whatever. Not right now, though.

This is exactly what we found when testing each of the lists. We did play a bit o' Phantom Centaur though, and I certainly recommend the sweet tech; it gives the deck a fun name. Also, Plow Under is some fun to play. That said, we never really took it seriously, seeing as Green is bad.

Here, I found the list (this was from a while back, pre-Garruk/Goyf):

15 Forest
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Eladamri's Vineyard
4 Chrome Mox

4 Call of the Herd
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Phantom Centaur
4 Iwamori of the Open Fist

4 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Sword of Fire and Ice
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Tangle Wire
4 Plow Under

SB: 4 Hail Storm
SB: 4 Winter Orb
SB: 4 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Naturalize

adrieng
12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
I am very puzzled about your matchup.
First of all i have already tryied a deck mono green fat like yours.
I agree the threshold matchup is good.
But please don t claim to have a 60 percent goblin matchup whereas it shouldnt even be a 40 percent.You play fat they play wasteland rishadan port they are much faster than you.I dont see how you can win really.
The other matchup is ichorid i dont think you have more than 35 percent against them (first game).You have only three loaming shaman which are not even gamebreaking cause they can kill you in one shot(and you play only three of them).
To finish with i have a question can you tell us why play your deck instead of dragon stompy??
I really dont see any answer.They are faster (better fatties) they beat standstill with 8 moon ...

Spectör
12-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Hm...well, the percentages aren't really that good, maybe i should really leave them away...
I think the Goblin MU is so good because of cards like Jitte, Boa and Baloth. River Boa and Baloth are very good at stalling the Goblins player and we all how good Jitte is against Goblins. But you're that this deck can really suffer to the mana denial plan.
Remember against Ichorid we also have Chalice and 3-Sphere. A Chalice at 1 or a Trinisphere on the play can reset the Ichorid player back to slow dredging in the discard step (in case of chalice if he doesn't have a LED), but on the draw the matchup is accordingly worse. I'll edit this in the first post.

As for the "this deck vs. Dragon Stompy"-thing: I designed this deck before Magus of the Moon was printed and at this point it think it was better than Dragon Stompy or ETS, but since Future Sight I think it has turned around. But remember this deck has also got cards like Tarmogoyf or Garruk, who is very synergetic with the 2-mana lands so this deck can be faster sometimes.
Edit: Haha, lol, even forgot about mentioning Krosan Grip...

@lonelyberitone: You were reallly unbelieble unlucky. But as I see you have mostly lost against the weaknesses I wrote in the primer.

BreathWeapon
12-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Green isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, Green has the best 4 drops in the game and Brown has either the best answers, or at least enough answers, against combo as it is. It's just not a relevant argument, considering the other colors don't use their color specific combo hate either (sans Force of Will). At least Green has Root Maze, which stands a better chance of being used in the MD or the SB than either Unmask, Spellshock, Pyrostatic Pillar or Abeyance and Orim's Chant, thanks to the format's addiction to fetch lands. Even if White factored in Rule of Law, Mind Censor (on par with Root Maze) and Glowrider, it doesn't change the fact that White doesn't have a single viable threat other than Exalted Angel, and those other permanents could just as well be Sphere of Resistance and Thorn of Amethyst.

Green doesn't have Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon, but it does have Tsunami, Choke and Root Maze. The biggest reason to run Green over Red is Krosan Grip, where Red gets rape with The Abyss, Moat, Humility etc. About all Green can't do well is remove creatures, which it can still do to some extent with Hail Storm, and it makes up for it with larger creatures, more creatures and Equipment.

I don't see a reason to claim the deck is unsound, it's not ground breaking, but Krosan Grip gives it enough of a reason to consider it over Black Stompy, and White Stompy is kind of a joke.

Peter_Rotten
12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
If creatures give the deck issues, I'm sure that Duplicant (or Dupli-CAN!) can be cast reasonably early by this deck. I remember running it back in Welder-Mud days and even in the SB for SuperDuperGreen.

Media314r8
12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
did you actually playtest these matchups, or are you just guessing? I really, REALLY cannot see this deck beating ichorid before boards. Your disruption doesnt stop them from draw-step dredging, and if they land a discard outlet, loe probably just lose, as you have no way to kill bridges other than jitte'ing your own guys. FS also doesnt make sense. The only guys you can land turn one are goyf, CoTH, and Shaman, all of which die to their turn 1 efreet, whcih can block and survive. Your deck otherwise plays similarly, with garruk acting as a poor cloud of faeries, or a really poor CoTH. I still think FS has the advantage here, as with so few actual threats run in each deck, a well timed force from the FS player will absolutly wreck you while their flyers go the distance. the TES matchup also seems skewed, as they have wish for spree and 3 sprees post-baord to fight through the hate and you have no other permission and a slow clock. I think actual playtesting will yield better numbers, but please dont just 'guess' at the figures. The rules say that actual playtesting is required.

Sidenote: I DO like the deck, but I think it could use a blue splash, with some of the janky big-beats cut and some FoW, standstill cloud of faeries, and perhaps wonder, all whcih work well with garruk and the lands. (i've been testing Garruk-still for a while) Good luck with the build and the contest.

zulander
12-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Doesn't Garruk die to P.Deed??

Bovinious
12-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Doesn't Garruk die to P.Deed??

Its not an artifact, creature, or enchantment, so no it wouldnt. However it would die to EE set at 4 because it is a non-land permanent.

EDIT: Sigged Zuhair :P

zulander
12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Its not an artifact, creature, or enchantment, so no it wouldnt. However it would die to EE set at 4 because it is a non-land permanent.

EDIT: Sigged Zuhair :P
w/e. Your sig wont matter once you're deleted from the source.

OWNED.

/facepalm at me being dumb and asking that question though.

Dr.Kokusho
12-28-2007, 10:42 PM
The list:
// Lands
6 [ON] Forest (1)
4 [EX] City of Traitors
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [MM] Hickory Woodlot

// Creatures
3 [BOK] Iwamori of the Open Fist
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [AN] Ifh-Biff Efreet

// Spells
1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
4 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
3 [DS] Trinisphere
4 [OD] Call of the Herd
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
4 [UL] Crop Rotation

Hello Everyone!!!!

Here is a version of the deck that I an currently testing on MWS

As you can see I added hickory woodlots which open up the deck to wasteland but I found it necessary to cast many of the decks threats since the two decklists posted above sometimes have trouble accessing double green mana. It also has synergy with garruk and turn 2 you can cast a Garruk followed up with a chalice for 2 or a 4cc threat

I also added a crop rotation as hickory woodlots 4-8 or they can be ancient tomb 8-12. Crop rotation works as an indirect mana acceleration by fetching ancinet tobs and can help ensure access to double colorless mana first turn to cast chalice for 1.

Spectör
01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry, but I was pretty busy the last few days, so I didn't have the time to post here again.

@ Media314r8:
Dredging only in the Draw Step is unbelievably slow, the Ichorid player won't have enough time against us to slow-dredge, because we have a fast clock. If he manages to drop a discard outlet that's of course bad for us, but that's like I wrote in the opening post: The matchup very much depends on the die roll.

As for Faerie Stompy: You coult be right in what you say about my first turn drops, but then we have the bigger guys in the later turns and they can't counter everything we play. I think it highly depends on who draw more threats and equipment.
(Btw. Garruk may be a worse Cloud of Faeries, but can a Cloud produce an Overrun the turn after? I don't think so. I don't think Garruk is comparable with any other cards, simply because he's a totally other card type.)
But I agree with you, that this match up deserves a bit more testing though.

I think the TES MU is pretty accurate. A Chalice @ 1 or even 2 or a Trinisphere buys us enough time to establish a 2-4 turn clock. None of the newer TES lists play more than 1 Shattering Spree in the sideboard, so I don't think that's really an issue...

@ Dr.Kokusho:
I don't think your idea of the Woodlot and Crop Rotation is good enough for this deck, since i've already cut the Villages to have no lands in the deck coming into play tapped and the Rotation is bad because of Chalice and is a dead draw in the mid- to lategame.

I'm currently testing Chameleon Colossus instead of the Baloths. The Colossus is a house against any black Deck (unremovable against NQGb) and really good with an equipment.

frolll
01-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Like some other members, I was also working on a Green version of the Stompy deck.
Here's my most recent list, if it can give you ideas to perform well in this CaNG, I'll be pleased. :)

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [EX] City of Traitors
10 [UNH] Forest

// Creatures
3 [BOK] Isao, Enlightened Bushi
3 [DIS] Loaming Shaman
3 [UL] Simian Grunts
4 [BOK] Iwamori of the Open Fist
4 [TSP] Spectral Force

// Spells
4 [DS] Trinisphere
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
4 [OD] Call of the Herd
4 [MR] Chrome Mox

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [DIS] Loaming Shaman
SB: 4 [VI] Elephant Grass
SB: 3 [U] Hurricane
SB: 2 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [9E] Viridian Shaman
SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip

It's fairly standard, and not really good IMHO, but hey, it's still Tree Stompy. :)

Spectör
02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
So...after so long time...

I updated the opening post.
The changes I did were:
-3 Ravenous Baloth
-3 Umezawa's Jitte
+3 Chameleon Colossus
+2 Loxodon Warhammer
+1 Trinisphere
(SB: -1 Trinisphere, +1 Pithing Needle)

I'm currently testing if Loxodon Warhammer is worth replacing the Jitte.

@ froll: I actually like Isao, especially with the new synergy with Chameleon Colossus, but is it better than River Boa? Bushido 2 most of the time basically is an Evasion and being uncounterable is pretty good against control. I think i will test it.

n00bas4urus_r3x
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Has Erhnam Djinn been considered? His setback isn't all that overwhelming, he's easy to cast, and with equipment he's got a huge ass. He was always a bomb in Junk Pile, so just throwing that out there.

freakish777
02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Call of the Herd definitely belongs in this deck. It helps in basically every match-up but combo (where you don't want to be paying 4 for a 3/3). Additionally, not runing Goyf because he doesn't cost 2G is basically dumb, he really should be an auto-include.

brian e
02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Have you tested this against Landstill? It doesn't seem too strong against it.

FredMaster
02-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Have a look at the Matchup-part...