PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] W/G OrbControl

Greenberry
12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Hello everyone. I've been working on this deck for some time, but not so long yet to collect a huge of detailed info about the whole deck structure.

Fisrtly here is the list under study...

// Lands
3 [MM] Rishadan Port
1 [TE] Wasteland
4 Forest (2)
4 [A] Savannah
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins

// Creatures
3 [4E] Llanowar Elves
3 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves
4 [A] Birds of Paradise
2 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
2 [VI] Quirion Ranger
2 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg

// Spells
4 [U] Winter Orb
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
2 [MR] Sylvan Scrying
4 [NE] Tangle Wire
2 [TE] Cursed Scroll
3 [B] Regrowth
2 [TE] Mirri's Guile
1 [U] Meekstone
1 [4E] Land Tax
4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 [TE] Cursed Scroll
SB: 4 [B] Swords to Plowshares
SB: 2 [TSP] Magus of the Candelabra
SB: 2 [ON] Naturalize
SB: 2 [NE] Seal of Cleansing
SB: 2 [MR] Loxodon Peacekeeper

Card by Card:

[B]Rishadan Port: obviously used to lock opponents lands
Wasteland: bye duals, bye tomb, cities or whatever comes in
Academy Ruins: basicaly to return tangle wire when it dies or cursed and winter orb in case of being countered

Llanowar/Fyndhorn Elves: The mana to run everything and also used to attack against non-aggro decks
Birds of Paradise: Mana only, to play everything that needs White mana in case there isn't any mox diamond or savannah already in play
Elvish Spirit Guide: in opening hand is excellent to start with winter or just play the second elve in fisrt turn... futhermore, almost useless
Quirion Ranger: great when there is only another birds or elve in play, good to return card to hand and run cursed also. Not to mention the sinergy with land tax
Gaddok Tegg: Prevents FoW, Tendrils, Ideal and cards like that

Winter Orb: The key of the deck, locks your opponents lands and yours, but you have elves, birds, and moxes that aren't affected by Orb
Chrome Mox/Mox Diamond: To speed the game when casting Winter Orb on the beggining of the game... mana that isn't affected by Orb
Sylvan Scrying: Need a Waste or Rishadan? play it
Tangle Wire: As your opponent lands are already locked (supposed to be) Wire take care of artifacts and creatures
Cursed Scroll: to kill creatures and also the wincondition, when your elves haven't done the job already lol
Regrowth: Perhaps 3 of them are to much in here, but I never have them when needed, but ok.
Mirri's Guile: Helps on sad starting hands and is better than Sensei, as you can't be spending 1 mana to look top 3 everytime
Meekstone: to stop exalteds, goyfs and every other strong creature that can't be killed by cursed scroll
Land Tax: to get more forests for Ranger or when u have mox diamond without lands in hand
Ghostly Prison: If your opponent really needs to attack you, he better have loads of lands. Excellent against aggro decks such as goblins

Swords: removing key creatures from play. welder, lackey, confiant...
Magus: Never used them, empty spot
Naturalize/Seal: Scepters, Counterbalance, Survival, Oath, Stax, ...
Loxodon: To stompy the deck. as your opp can't pay to attack you... empty spot also

Please fell free to suggest better cards, strategy and whatever you want to say or ask. I hope to get some help and improve the development of this deck.

Thanks

rufus
12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Land Tax is not legacy legal.
The deck needs Trinisphere, Thorn of Amethyst, or something else to improve its combo match-up.
The deck wants better victory conditions.
Tap creature mana production is almost invariably too slow for legacy.
13 Lands + Mox Diamond is not a good combination.

Fundamentally, most competitive decks in the format are not materially hindered by the Winter Orb most of the time since they're built to run strong disruption (counter the winter orb), or run in early turns which means they expect a paucity of land. The better decks tend to have both. I can't see this approach being competitive.

Greenberry
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Land Tax is not legacy legal.
The deck needs Trinisphere, Thorn of Amethyst, or something else to improve its combo match-up.
The deck wants better victory conditions.
Tap creature mana production is almost invariably too slow for legacy.
13 Lands + Mox Diamond is not a good combination.

Fundamentally, most competitive decks in the format are not materially hindered by the Winter Orb most of the time since they're built to run strong disruption (counter the winter orb), or run in early turns which means they expect a paucity of land. The better decks tend to have both. I can't see this approach being competitive.
oh sorry, the land tax was one variation I made and forgot to replace in the actual list.

I think Trinisphere would slow the deck even more, imagine having to pay 3 to cast a mox during the game? Terrible
Thorn of amethyst would be better because it wouldn't affect the mana producer creatures.

Yes, it still need a better win condition, but I haven't thought on any better yet. What would you suggest?

How is the mana producion creatures too slow in legacy?
In second turn you might have 4 mana in your pool, if not more!

And the 13 lands + mox, doesn't seem to be a bad combination because you don't need more than 2 lands in play, 1 so is fine too.

Jaynel
12-27-2007, 03:39 PM
And the 13 lands + mox, doesn't seem to be a bad combination because you don't need more than 2 lands in play, 1 so is fine too.

You're not going to be able to reliably cast Mox Diamond with only 13 lands.

zulander
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
I third the whole 13 lands =/= mox diamond. However have you tried Garruk Wildspeaker? Untapping your lands and making 3/3's is pretty good if you're able to lock your opponent out a couple of turns.

Silverdragon
12-27-2007, 04:27 PM

QFT

Oh and

Naturalize/Seal: Scepters, Counterbalance, Survival, Oath, Stax, ...

If you mean Oath of Druids, that one is banned.

I think Trinisphere would slow the deck even more, imagine having to pay 3 to cast a mox during the game? Terrible

That's what all the combodecks will be thinking when you slam it down 1st or 2nd turn thanks to your own Mox.

Greenberry
12-27-2007, 06:49 PM

During my matches the 13 lands haven't been a problem for moxes yet...
This low number are just a problem when playing Loam/Waste based decks

I third the whole 13 lands =/= mox diamond. However have you tried Garruk Wildspeaker? Untapping your lands and making 3/3's is pretty good if you're able to lock your opponent out a couple of turns.

Haven't tryed Garruk yet. Don't you think the cost (2GG) is too much?

That's what all the combodecks will be thinking when you slam it down 1st or 2nd turn thanks to your own Mox.
True. but then you gotta start with a power hand to play moxes/elves first turn, cast the orb and finally the sphere. Otherwise, 3 mana to cast elves futher turns would be heavy