4 Brainstorm
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Momentary Blink

Sideboard
1 Pernicious Deed
4 Engineered Plague
4 Thoughtseize
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Smother/Extirpate/Stifle/Duress/Krosan Grip/Engineered Explosives depending on the metagame.

Cardchoices:

The mana: Nine fetchlands make the four-color manabase very stable, and the only colorless land is the Volrath’s stronghold. Speaking of stronghold, it is just awesome and should never be cut. I was pondering with a second one for a while, but having two legendary lands didn’t seem worth it in the end.

The creatures: Tarmogoyf is awesome, and the others are great creatures that happen to have synergy with blink. Mulldrifter is the weakest link, but it ultimately made the cut because it wins games with blink.

The spells: StP and therapy keep you alive in the early game, deed is the reset button and brainstorm adds consistency and card quality. Blink is the closest thing this deck has to an engine.

Cards not included: I have tested a lot of cards, and the most relevant cards not on the list are engineered explosives, exalted angel. venser and corpse dance/shallow grave. I just could not find room for the graveyard recursion cards even though they do have some incredible synergies with the deck, but in the end, they just did not do enough. EE suffered the same fate. Angel had to fight for the same slot as hierarch, and I prefer the elephant. Venser was too hard for the manabase and did not do enough while often being hard to cast.

So what is this thing?
BlinkRock is rockish midrange/control deck, with an added engine card in momentary blink. Blink gives you an incredible mid- and late game against every non-combo deck. It gives you a source of card advantage, while also protecting your creatures (especially tarmogoyf!) from pinpoint removal. Unlike many other engine cards, blink does not force you to run almost any otherwise sub-optimal cards, so the deck can operate much like a normal rock deck even if no blinks are drawn.

How does the deck work?
The best cards of the deck are slow and for that reason the deck spends it early turns playing cheap disruption and answer cards in form of swords, therapy and evoked shriekmaws, or digging for them with brainstorm. When it comes to the midgame, the deck starts rolling. You can force the opponent to answer your multiple threats or sweep the board with deed depending on the game state and matchup. Late game your blink engine comes into play and seals the deal, or helps you to stabilize.

Why should I play this thing?
BlinkRock, like many other rock decks, has the advantage of having almost none really bad matchups. The deck has a fighting chance against the whole format. So if you do not feel like taking a metagame deck or do not want to risk being hated out, this is a deck you might want to consider for a diverse metagame. Compared to other midrange controls, I think the blink really gives you the advantage in many games.

The issues?
BlinkRock has some issues off course, the biggest being the vulnerability of the manabase. Well-timed wasteland or stifle can set the deck back multiple turns, and a bloodmoon will probably send you packing unless you had the opportunity to fetch multiple basics. Fast combo will be tough game one, but the sideboard can get you through a match, but I still would not recommend playing the deck in a TES/Belcher infested meta unless you are willing to commit some extra sideboard space. Ichorid can also be a problem, but testing shows it can be turn into a positive matchup just by committing four slots from the sideboard to leylines.

Playtips?
When playing this deck, you will always have to know your role, when to drop a lot of creatures and go aggro and when to sit on the deed. Also important is naming correctly with therapy, that card can just swing games when correctly named. Remember the interaction with blink and evoke, and that you can dodge removal with blink. Mulligan mana light hands. Basic stuff if you have played with midrange control decks before.

The matchups
(Not finished)

Goblins
They have wasteland and port, and some very fast openings. You still have the tools in deed and tarmogoyf to beat them, but game one it is going to be hard. A lot depends on the die roll as well. Always mulligan if you don’t have a way to deal with lackey, unless you have multiple deeds. Second game is a lot easier with plagues and extra removal if you happen to run them. Try to keep the horde of green men under control until you hit four or five mana, then start dropping hierarchs and shriekmaws and blink them when necessary. I’d probably say that you have a slight advantage, but it’s still close.
Cabal therapy for: lackey (early when on the play), warchief(to slow them down when you have dealt with the lackey, ringleader(endgame).

Threshold
You have many ways to deal with their creatures, and your manacurve is not hit by counterbalance too often. Use blink to win goyf wars against their removal, therapy for counterspells to resolve your bombs. Mongoose is not too much of a problem because you can easily block it with bigger men. Bring in thoughtseize, and if you have it, EE (mainly for dealing with needles pointed at deed). The manadenial builds are a lot tougher to face, so remember to fetch basics. I would say you have a solid advantage.
Cabal therapy for: force of will, counterspell(when wanting to resolve stuff), tarmogoyf(when light on removal), pithing needle(when you have deed in your hand postboard). If they think about their opener a lot, you might want to try and name brainstorm to manascrew them.

More analyses coming when I get to test more and feel like writing, but it is a start. So far, the deck has been performing excellently.

DeepfriedDynamite
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
The deck seems O.K. I dont know if i like therapy in the deck though. You should probably replace it with thoughtsieze though. That way you dont automatically punt your combo MU and it still hits creatures.

Andros
12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
The deck seems O.K. I dont know if i like therapy in the deck though. You should probably replace it with thoughtsieze though. That way you dont automatically punt your combo MU and it still hits creatures.

Yeah, I'l definetly test thoughtseize in therapys place. Therapy was kind of a leftover from an older build that ran birds and with them I felt that therapy was stronger. Not sure if the most up to date build seen here runs enough fodder creatures to make therapy better. Witness can go pretty nuts with therapy sometimes, that's propbly not a big enough reason to keep it.

mossivo1986
12-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Hello Andros. As you might remember I was the gentlemen who played you with Landstill. To be specific 4c_wish_Still. It's pretty much identicle to Wasteland's model, except for I added academy ruins instead of nantuko monestary for that added bit of zing. Also I took out the stifles and at the time was testing force spike "because I got the fnm foil one. I'm a sucker for foiley stuff." Anyways normally the 2 slots in the deck are for stifle/ or spell snare.

In our matches the conclusion I came up with is that all the hand disruption was kind of irrelivant, or maybe just off timed. So the threats you played were taken care of immediately. I actually thought you were playing thresh g1 because of the manabase and the triple goyf action. "thank god for swords and EE." Either way our games went into the inevitability range where my deck tends to shine as I just draw more cards and have more options. Mishra's factory was an allstar in the matchup as well as the waste lock. In our game 2 you had triple therapy but no threats and so you once again got beat down by mishra's factory. Overall the matches were semi close, but like I said to you I never fealt rushed or motivated to improve board position. I think the deck is excellent. I like your card advantage. What I didn't like was lack of threats. It felt as though all your creatures had no illusiveness and basicly dropped to whatever kind of removal I had. Now granted I had you tapped out through most of our games on my turn, but honestly I don't see you defeating landstill without some serious tuning.

As we were talking after the game I mentioned running a small survival package. This way you can set your deck to evasion mode as well as card advantage mode and continue to drop beasty threats. Some of the best new cards including doran are very viable survival targets. So is shriekmaw.

If I were you i'd consider throwing out leyline for extirpate or tormod. OR consider running the five drop haunting echoes as it wrecks me badly. I don't think i've won a game yet with a well timed echoes. It's quite devastating.

Your sideboard was pretty deep in black. With four color I think your options are vast, and I think alot of things were left to be hoping for. One of them being Garruck. Garruck is so powerfull that landstill decks are now comming forth with him as a 3 of in the deck with tarmogoyf as well.

I think i'd consider either dropping blink to a 3 of. I know its kind of the backbone of the deck but inless your playing aggro it really isnt an issue for control decks like landstill.

I will sooner or later add my AURA STILL list to the contest and maybe I can win :). Good luck and hopefully we will play again

mossivo1986@yahoo.com

from Cairo
12-30-2007, 03:23 AM
I like the idea, but that mana base is ugly as. It's butchered more than Salvager Game and that one's intentionally butchered to avoid Tainted Pact.

The deck seems very base green, running 8 lands that don't produce green in a deck thats needs to hit gg for Witness, seems risky. Is the need for basics that high? It would seem that filling out with more duals, and maybe keeping 2 forest, 1 swamp might be better, like do the basic Plains and Island really pull their weight, does getting hands with them rather than duals ever harm you're ability to cast cards?

Assuming that you felt a need for 1 of each basic it seems like it would make more sense to run something like

4 Heath
3 Delta
3 Bayou
2 Savanna
2 Trop
1 Forest
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Scrubland
1 Island (//3rd Trop)
1 Volrath's Stronghold

Gives you access to...

15 ways to get green (16 with the Island as a Tropical Island)
12 ways to get black
11 ways to get white
10 ways to get blue

which seems more or less in line with the color requirements of the card's you're casting. It avoids Tundras and Undergrounds as they seem like a liability in a deck that is trying to play 4 colors and Eternal Witness.

Worth noting if you can hit gg, you can always Witness back a fetch to help get access to the last color.

idk, just a suggestion.

Kundalini
12-30-2007, 08:33 AM
This reminds me of the old Gift-Rock archetype... well I am pretty sure it works in a very similar way. Did you think about including Gifts Ungiven? Of course you have to include Genesis too. You can go with the old good plan to gifts for genesis and cabal therapy + 2 other cards; your deck is full of good graveyard cards already (eternal witness, blink, cabal therapy), so a resolved Gifts Ungiven has the potential of giving decisive card advantage.
Worth trying? Or will it make this deck too graveyard-dependent?

Andros
12-30-2007, 06:10 PM
mossivo: I actually kinda misboarded against you, siding out too many creatures. I agree tho that the landstill matchup seems to be pretty bad, I've only been able to steal a couple of matches by discard packed with goyf beats. The sideboard is still open, and I am testing different configurations all the time. Leylines might be better as extirpates, ichorid probably isn't prelevant enough to keep the leylines. Garruk is an option but the deck is quite tight as it is, and finding room for them or the survival package is hard without changing the whole deck.

from Cairo: Your manabase makes a lot more sense than mine, so I'll be using it from now on. Thanks for that.

Kundalini: I've been tinkering with Gifts, but I think it would require cutting too many cards for it to be really good. Gifts Rock may be good in Legacy, but I think it would require a whole new deck built around it.

All in all, thanks everyone for the comments, the deck is still resonably new and untested so changes will be made. Just wanted to post a topic early on. Still playtesting has been reasonably promising, and I have faith in this deck.

Media314r8
12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
How about Mesmeric fiend? Mediocre disruption and a mediocre beater when simply played, but when blinked he wrecks your opponent's hand. I'd think he's a better fit than Cabal Therapy, as you can't sac the evoked dudes to flashback therapy. It would be sick if you could though.