PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Survival - Kavu - Dreadnought

adrieng
12-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I have tested a lot of decks and after trying false cure.I found the kavu predator to be a very good card.The main problem was that the others cards were most of them useless on their own.So i put it with survival of the fittest first with a black green version(for dark confidant and cabal therapy).The survival kavu engine is awesome.But the main problem was both removals and not finding it or survival at the good moment.The discard was also not really good.So i had the idea of playing both kavu predator and phyrexian dreadnought.I added sylvan safekeeper to protect these two fat men.

Here the list:

creatures

4 kavu predator
4 skyshroud cutter
4 phyrexian dreadnought
3 sylvan safekeeper
4 tarmogoyf
4 eternal witness
1 wonder
1 genesis
1 squee goblin

instant

4 brainstorm
4 stifle
2 vision charm

enchant

4 survival of the fittest

lands

3 tropical island
1 bayou
5 forest
3 island
4 wooded foothil
4 polluted delta

sideboard

3 tormod's crypt
4 yixlid jailer
4 force of will
4 spell snare

card choice

survival of the fittest:
against any non combo deck if this card resolve or stick it is game.The main draw engine of the deck allowed awesome tricks with kavu predator.

kavu predator:
thi is with phyrexian dreadnought your two big men.In combinaison with skyshroud cutter he becomes a huge 7/7.

phyrexian dreadnought:
allowed a turn four kill with stifle or vision charm.Your opponent has two turn to find an answer or just die.

tarmogoyf:
best creature ever.

genesis:
shines against standstill allowed with survival to tutor it a recursive engine.

brainstorm-force of will:
two of the best instants (so far the number of blue cards is 15 i found it enough)

stifle-vision charm:
combo with dreadnought Stifle helps against deed EE storm...

skyshroud cutter:
combo with kavu preadator

wonder squee:
target for survival

cards tested not played:
wasteland
you play survival i found it not good enough sometimes you are screwed.
You want multiple green as soon as possible.

back to basics
My first list was playing it in sb but eternal witness is far better against standstill some list just play blue white.

spell snare
I found it good against most of the deck but the sylvan safekeeper is more gamebreaking protect against sword and can be discarded to survival .

matchup analysis

goblin:
good matchup here the combo of the dreadnought turn two or the kavu predator with skyshroud cutter is usually enough to seal the game.
If you have survival in play and enough mana it should also be enough to win the game .Kavu predator skyshroud cutter(+5+5 kavu + 2/2 ) is two bloquers.
You have skyshroud cutter or sylvan safekeeper for turn one lackey.

standstill:
slightly favorable(i tested only against a UBWG version) .Here the key is to play survival and go for the genesis.
These match are long in general.But sometimes you have the sylvan safekeeper+dreadnought or kavu win.
The 4 spell snare are coming -2 vison charm-1 stifle-1 dreadnought+4 spell snare

threshold:
slightly unfavorable (i tested against ablack white green version)
This match is winnable you have to take care of daze.Dark confidant is bad news but if you have survival of the fittest on the table the game is over.
+4 spell snare after side -2 vision charm- 1 dreadnought -1 stifle.
Now you can counter all their gamebreaking cards such as dark counterbalance survival (in certain builds)tarmo and reccur them via witness

zoo:
good matchup you play biggest creatures You have nearly the same cloak (half a turn slower)Itested against a black green red version.

angel stax:
slightly favorable
Keep your force of will for armageddon.You play big creatures what they hate.
You have a strong mana base.

Suicide junk:
slightly unfavorable(i tested against a black green white version for pernicious with maindeck sinkhole)
+4 spell snare -2 vision charm -1 stifle- 1 dreadnought

slivers:
favorable usually you play a big man they can t trade with him or you resolve a survival(it is game)
I have tested against a four colour version with hibernation sliver and dark confidant.

elves:
I have tested a bit and it is not good they have the same clock than you but they have forestwalk and the deathtouch elf is usulaly enough to kill your first fat man and then winning the game with forestwalk.It is winnable but unfavorable.

combo
ichorid- breakfast
The side is here for these deck dont expect to win game one.The lonly bayou
is enough with 4 yixlid jailer and 3 tormod's crypt.gaddock could be played also but i have seen a lot of (flashback -2-2 in sb of breakfast and ichorid)
so yixlid is more gamebreaking.
So far 7 hated cards + survival for jailer (sometimes) has been enough to win both game 2 and 3

belcher
A coin flip .Here you can t win game one.Game two is much more better with 4 spell snare and 4 fow.

Example of hands:

FOW FOW polluted stifle kavu skyshroud dreadnought:
it looks good you have the two combo in hand but a lonly land
I think on the draw i ld keep this hand.(you stilll play 20 lands)
On the play i dont know.

fores forest forest bayou kavu stifle dreadnought
i ld keep not good hand but can beat goblin or zoo easily

forest brain brain stifle dreadnought survival fow
if the forest was an island it would be a god hand
mulligan it

skyshroud dreadnought bayou island tarmo fow forest
keep it if you topdeck a kavu a stifle or a vision chram you ld have a combo.
You still have the tarmogoyf.

I made some change the witness are now maindeck it improves your aggro control /control matchup a lot.The combo matchup was already not so good and the number of blue cards was tight.So now with the sideboard you can add 4 force of will and 4 spell snare against combo and the number of blue card is good.

Thanks for reading. Do not hesitate to add comments!!!

Zach Tartell
12-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Dearest adrieng,

While I cannot say, "I will not read posts with this poor typing," since I actually did read your whole post, I'll say at least this: "Clean it up before I come back for the list to test it."

I don't want to be a giant loser for telling a not-native English speaker that his language sucks, but there are elementary mistakes here! Spaces after periods! Periods after parenthesis, not after a space after them! Capitolization can be tricky, 'specially for those from noble Deutschland (or English speakers struggling to speak German), so I'll let that slide. But, seriously, hoss.

Love,

Zach

Seriously, though, let me voice my concerns for this deck:

You seem to be trying to go two places at once:

Kavu Preadator abuse
Dreadnought + Stifle

Too little blue. I thought somebody, in the days of antiquity (the epoch, not the set), had determined that 16 was the absolute minimum number of blue cards you could run FOW will with. I feel squirmish in LS decks that drop below 20, let alone 16. I don't like it.
I think you're just trying to do too much at once

Even my master List skillz aren't enough to stop this monstrosity. And not like how "You cannot stop Mike Herbig; you can only try to contain him" unstoppable. Like, trainwreck unstoppable. Either run this with survival to help tutor up your Kavus and mulitple Cutters, or run like a Ug survival with Stifles, Forces, CB/Top engine, and some good blue creatures (Serendib Efreet and Mulldrifter come to mind). Oh, you could fit in like one Dreadnought there, if you wanted, but I think he's really wicked win-more. I'll admit that I lost to a turn 2 Dreadnought+Stifle against Fakespam, but that was a ridiculous suprise that any deck with blue, or removal of any sort could have delt with.

I just feel like you've taken two vastly unthoroughly tested and unproven ideas and thrown them together in a shell to see if they work well. What do you do if you open a hand with even a single Cutter without a Preadator? Lose, or go to six. I feel like you shouldn't have hands that you can't keep in any deck based on not having two cards that are virtually useless without each other.

adrieng
12-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I have tested the deck and it works great.The posted matchup are true matchup and not found on theory.You haven t tested the deck
have you?
First point what do I do if I have a skyshroud cutter and I havent got the kavu predator.What does breakfast do if he hasn t got his second part of combo what does trix do if he hasn t got his second piece of combo what does aluren do if he has a cavern harpi....
You still have brainstorm to shuffle it back survival to discard it.
I know that the 16 cards was said to be the minimum.But you still have a wonder to tutor with survival.And 15 is really closed.
Actually you could go only green black (for dark confidant) but to beat aggro the two combo works great, really.
Sylvan safekeeper is there to take care of removals.
Are you joking serendib efreet and mulldrifter are really crappy creatures in non tomb decks like .The format is much faster.

etrigan
12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone lonelybaritone said.

What do you do when you dont resolve Survival? Without it, the only credible threat is Tarmogoyf, unless you can lucksack into Stifle-Dreadnaught.

This has always been the problem with Survival decks. How do you do when you cant stick Survival? It's easy to win when you've got your engine going, are putting extra creatures in your hand every turn, and have your full toolbox available. It can be really really hard when you've got a bunch of conditional guys clogging up your hand.

I dont see how Dreadnaught fits in Survival. At least you can tutor up both halves of Predator-Cutter, but you cant tutor up Stifle.

Tog
12-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I've played Survival for nearly two & a half years and getting the Survival engine started alone can be a problem at times. I think your deck is just trying to do too much and in doing so, failing at each one of them. Pick either Survival, Kavu, or Dreadnought and see it through. I don't see any synergy between the combos whatsoever.

~Tog

adrieng
12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Tog
I think you haven t tested the deck at all and just add a comment without trying it.
You want to play as hurly as possible dreadnought or kavu predator against aggro.I mean aggro such as goblin zoo is a VERY easy matchup.
Against dragon stompy your are usually faster than them but a turn one/two trinisphere is nearly game for them.
Against threshold play your worse cards first beeing daze prove is important (if they dont make pressure).
For example i have a sylvan safekeeper on the table i play kavu predator
Do you force it? If you don t it can be game over.
You want to play your survival at the last moment.Then if they counter witness it and just win.
After side you have 4 spell snare against their counterbalance and dark confidant which you can recur with eternal witness.Don t counter goyf with spell snare your creatures are just bigger.
Standstill it is not so difficult(i tested against non humility decks the only way to win against humility is usually counters on an hurly kavu predator)
moat does nothing cause you have wonder.
And against U/B/G/W you usually roll them by reccurring witness /genesis /survival squee.(sometimes they bring for game 2 leyline of the void which is bad news for you)
Today i won on mws against ichorid and breakfast 2-1.(scouping both game one)
So i think the 7 hate cards for them is enough.