PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Doran, Goyfs and Bobs. Oh my!

Iron_Blood
12-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Most of the deck these days are control or at lease in my meta.

--Version 1.0--
// Lands
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 Scrubland
2 Swamp
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
4 [B] Bayou

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
3 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [9E] Hypnotic Specter

// Spells
2 [TE] Lotus Petal
3 [US] Duress
4 [TE] Dark Ritual
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (3)
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [TSB] The Rack
3 [AP] Vindicate
3 [TE] Diabolic Edict

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [TE] Diabolic Edict
SB: 3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [B] Swords to Plowshares
SB: 4 [UL] Engineered Plague

--Version 1.1--
// Lands
1 [UNH] Plains
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
1 [UNH] Forest
2 [UNH] Swamp
4 [ON] Windswept Heath
4 [B] Scrubland
4 [B] Bayou

// Creatures
3 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
4 [9E] Hypnotic Specter
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
2 [AP] Gerrard's Verdict
1 [US] Duress
4 [AP] Vindicate
2 [AP] Phyrexian Arena
4 [TE] Dark Ritual
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (3)
4 [B] Swords to Plowshares

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [CS] Jotun Grunt
SB: 4 [UL] Engineered Plague
SB: 4 [TE] Diabolic Edict

[U][B]Card choices:
Dark Confidant - Ridiculous card advantage.
Doran, the Siege Tower - One of the best 3 drop in the game. Good with Goyf. Makes Goblin Pile Driver less painful. Can Block most thing in the format w/o dieing. Really good Clock.
Tarmogoyf - One of the Best. If not the best. Easily Turn 2 3/4 goyf.
Hypnotic Specter - A creature that makes you discard each turn. Good against control and good with the rack.
Dark Ritual - Makes the deck faster.
Duress/Thoughtseize - Good discard.
Hymn to Tourach - Best random discard in the game.
Gerrard's Verdict - Really good discard and have the chance to gain some life.
Vindicate - Deal with anything annoying.
Phyrexian Arena - Lots of time I have ran out of cards and left dead in the water. This card keeps the deck going.
Swords to Plowshares - Great against decks with bunch of creatures.

Sideboard Card choices:
Diabolic Edict - It is one of the best thing to kill Mongoose.
Jotun Grunt - Good against threshold or any graveyard deck.
Krosan Grip - Anything that is artifact that you need to kill without problems.
Engineered Plague - For against Goblins and tribal decks.

Notes on change:
This deck was having an issue against wasteland. So I made the mana base more solid with more basics.

Matchups:
Will do later.

Kadaj
12-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Honestly, my only real suggestion having just skimmed the deck is to cut The Rack for a card that actually does something. Playing a card that is completely negated by card drawing is not a good idea, nor is playing a card that basically reads:

Pay 1 mana. Do nothing without the help of 2 or 3 other cards that if you resolve you should be winning anyway.

Osse
12-31-2007, 12:12 AM
so wait, you lose to shackles and counters? I think you need to read up on the pikula bw decks and see why they were good. You should probably think about Phyrexian Arena in conjunction with Confidant too.

Maëlig
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Dark ritual and lotus petal? In an aggro-control multicolor deck that is neither explosive nor draws insanely? Apart from a 1st turn dark confidant or hypnotic specter (and even then...), I don't see how this can be any good. You're not playing suicide (and even in mono black suicide it's not an automatic pick).
Also, if you play white you really want to have StP MD. Much better than diabolic edict imo.
Other than that, this deck is just a pikula with a green splash. I don't really see what's so new in that...

Iron_Blood
12-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Thank you all for the input.

I took out the rack because it sucks against decks with any amount of card draw.
Phyrexian Arena is awesome for the late game.
Basic land is better then lotus petal.

Brushwagg
12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Few thoughts here.

1. Holy life loss. Between Bob, Arena, Thoughtseize, and 8 Fetchlands your looking at some serious damage to yourself. That could be an issue.

2. Why is Doaran in the deck? None of your creatures get any bonus from him. In fact it makes Bob even worse, going from a 2/1 to a 1/1. You could look into Orhan(SP) Viper from COldsnap. It becomes a 3/3 with Doran, and draws cards. (Works good in type 2).

3.Grunt from the board. Why?? Modern Threshold/Gro decks depend less and less on Threshold. Goyf and Grunt go aganist each other and I can see any reason you would ever board out Goyf in the Gro match-up.

Phantom
12-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Holy deck I already created Batman!

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7554

But seriously, check out some of the differences if you want to test them. Arena is pretty weak in a fast aggro deck, although it might be ok ritualed out, and Verdict is just awful at its job. You have access to 12 better discard spells.

DeepfriedDynamite
12-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Doran is bad in this deck. In some most of the other BGW decks ive seen in CaNG most of them use doran realy effectively because it makes there other non-tarmogoyf creatures stronger. Treefolk harbinger is broken with doran, maybe you should test a few of them. Also does adding green to Deadguy ale realy help the decks problems. The deck already had good control MU's and adding arena would seem to just beat a dead horse. Also you are running to much lifeloss. Sui black at the most runs thoughtsieze and bob and carnophage but you run TS and Bob plus fetches and arena.

Some cards to try:
pernicuos deed
E explosives