PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Legacy GAT UBG aggro control aka Cool and the gang

nightbringer
12-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi,

First of al I would like to say my English isn't so good but I will try my best to type in clear English. This is one of my first primers so I hope it’s a bit clear.

About the deck:

I have been trying to make a legacy version of GAT for some time now but each time there was something missing. A few weeks ago I was reading a topic on a Dutch legacy site where someone suggested using Fathom Seer in the gush slot.
I have been trying this list for a few weeks now and I’m quite happy with it

The idea is to have I nice toolbox with the gifts with a relatively fast clock and control elements.

About the name

I suck at finding names for decks (so please dont flame me for this) but psychatog is really cool and a has a lot of friends to be his gang in this deck.

The List:

// Lands
1 barren moor
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Bayou
1 Volrath’s stronghold
3 Wasteland
4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
4 underground sea
4 Tropical Island

// Creatures

3 Fathom Seer
4 Tarmogoyf
1 psychatog
1 Genesis
1 eternal witness
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 schriekmaw
3 Vinelasher kudzu

// Spells
3 Daze
3 Exploration
4 Force of Will
4 Brainstorm
2 smother
3 gifts ungiven
1 life from the loam
1 cabal therapy
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 extirpate

// Sideboard
SB: 3 cabal therapy
SB: 3 Extirpate
SB: 3 EE
SB: 3 Deed
SB: 3 stifle

Card explanations:

Mainboard

3 cycle land: to make a draw engine with the loam
1Volrath’s stronghold: works great with the witness and gifts and a lot of decks cant handle recurring treats
3 Wasteland: Waste lock with loam and I have lots if ***** and landstill in my meta where these shine.
6 Fetch: I play 3 colors and quite a bit of colorless mana so I kinda need these
8 duals: nice variation of duals and 1 bayou so extirpate on my land does not screw me completely

3 Fathom Seer: gush effect, works great with exploration, psychatog, cabal therapy and it’s a good blocker.
4 Tarmogoyf: I play green agro control so nuf said I think.
1 psychatog: he’s a champ in this deck, Ican go and fetch him with witness to swing for loads of damage.
1 Genesis: to get with the gifts and return my treats
1 eternal witness: great to make a nice gifts pile
1 Indrik Stomphowler: to get rid of annoying artifacts and enchantments
1 schriekmaw: recurring removal with stronghold and genesis and its an kill with evasion.
3 Vinelasher kudzu: great with the seers and the exploration, he gets real big real fast.

// Spells
4 Daze: great counter in this deck with exploration, kudzu and wasteland
3 Exploration: great with kudzu, daze and to make a faster clock
4 Force of Will: lots of blue cards to pitch and still the best counter in the format.
4 Brainstorm: I play 6 fetch and a bit of card selection is needed in this deck.
2 smother: kills almost everything in the format and I would like play more.
3 gifts ungiven: uses the toolbox in the deck and shines with psychatog
1 life from the loam: waste lock and draw engine
1 cabal therapy: against combo and to get rid of annoying cards
1 Chainer’s Edict: against stuff smother and schriekmaw cant get like mongoose and tombstalker
1 extirpate: gets rid of annoying stuff and recurs real nice with the witness

// Sideboard
SB: 3 cabal therapy: for the combo matchup
SB: 3 Extirpate: against loam, ***** and ichorid
SB: 3 EE: against goblin tokens and ichorid
SB: 3 Deed: against ***** and goblins
SB: 3 stifle: against conbo

Matchups:

Threshold 70/30

Not a bad match up but it dependents on the build. Against counter top you have to make sure you can keep these of the table. Attack there manabase if you can.
Your critters are just as big and keep returning and you play enough removal to keep there creatures at bay.
After side you get stifle, extirpate to attack there manabase and kills, deed and maybe EE and your math up becomes about 80/20

Goblins 40/60 pre board

You have to stop the First turn lackey or you have a big problem. To stop him you have 4 removal slots and 4 counters. Just make sure they don’t swarm you. Its not a easy match up but its winnable with some luck on your side.
After board you get deed and explosives with makes the match up about 50/50 but in a meat with lots of goblins I should play plague on side.

Landstill 60/40

Depends on the version they play but it’s a about even match up because most versions run enough answers to al your treats but they keep coming back and you also run counters. After side you get therapy, stifle, extirpate and you can attack there manabase with is a solid plan against landstill.

Loam decks 70/30

This is a good match up for you because your deck has a bit more option than standard loam deck and your critters and removal can deal with there’s.
After board you get extirpate with kill against there deck, deed and therapy so its about 80/20 after board.

Fast combo 50/50

Pre-board its about even because you can be fast enough and have 7 counters against them along with therapy and extirpate (if you get to mid-game) after board its 70/30 because you can get EE, therapy and extirpate in there to screw them over.

Cards not played main or side:

Deed did not make the cut main board because I found myself blowing up my own creatures a bit to much. Its possible I will play them main again after more testing because the recurring creatures plan has been added recently.

Thoughtsieze: los of life is a bit hard for this deck and therapy has a lot more synergy with the deck.

Why play this deck?:

It has a favorable match up against thresh, and neutral matches against most of the decks in the meta with the exception of a few bad match ups.
Its just a great deck to play with lots of tricks op its sleeve and great plays with the gifts.

Why not play this deck?:

In a meta with lots of agro this build is not the best deck to play and it needs a bit more testing to make a optimal build.

A word at the end.

I only made this deck a few weeks ago and it needs a bit more testing so I will try to give you updates and better match up views in a little while.
Even in its imperfect form its still a good deck and it’s a fresh new kind of agro control.
(at least I hope its new because I haven’t seen I list like mine before)

Greetings

Brecht

Team ironbreakers.

deadlock
12-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi,

first off i like every deck that tries to make good use of Gifts Ungiven (except Gifts Rock :rolleyes:).

Sadly the reality looks a bit different, your deck looks solid, but far too slow for the thing it tries to achive.

You stay too close on the Vintage Version, when you too copy Gush + Fastbond for example with Exploration and Fathom Seer.

You should think about it in a more abstract way: What is the gameplan of Gat in Vintage? I would say its an aggro-control strategy with a combo finish in form of Will/Timewalk + Cunnin Wish for Berzerk or something like that.

So how could such an strategy be executed in Legacy? An aggro-controll shell with the option of Stifle + Phyrexian Dreadnought could be the substitute of this strategy for example.

I give another Example: I absolutly loved Meandeck Gifts in Vintage and after the restriction of Gifts i tried to make a good combo control (!) Gifts deck in Legacy. I failed for obvious reasons, but later i realised that there is already a deck which incooperates the MDG strategy more or less. The combo control deck of Legacy is Solidarty, which happens to be my absolut favorit deck (tourney-legal wise). There may be others but i am very focused on this "mostly blue combo control thing". Whatever..

I hope this doesnt go too far away from your startingpoint.
Deck conversion can work, but its tricky. I hope this somehow helps.

Goaswerfraiejen
01-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Any specific reason for running Gifts over Intuition? Myself, I can't really see Gifts being any better,

Also, have you tried Cephalid Coliseum rather than the cycle lands? Personally, I like it much better-and it opens up room for real lands in the manabase.

Lastly, did you consider running one Wonder? I find evasion to be a pretty big deal overall.

nightbringer
01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Any specific reason for running Gifts over Intuition? Myself, I can't really see Gifts being any better,
I like keeping 2 cards instead of 1. I know its a bit slower but it still kicks ass and being able to get 4 cards instead of 3 (although not the same ones)is very nice

Also, have you tried Cephalid Coliseum rather than the cycle lands? Personally, I like it much better-and it opens up room for real lands in the manabase.
This i would like to test and i will get back to you on that one. i would like to see how that turns out.

Lastly, did you consider running one Wonder? I find evasion to be a pretty big deal overall.
There was one wonder in the early version of the deck but i had to cut it because i was a bit short on space in the deck. i would like to include him again though cause like you said evasion is hot.

Sadly the reality looks a bit different, your deck looks solid, but far too slow for the thing it tries to achive.
I agree it looks a bit on the slow side but its not as bad as it looks.
I will do some more testing tomorow and i wil try to give you the average turns to kill ratio by then.

Cunnin Wish for Berzerk
I know you where talking about vintage there but this could be a sweet kill in this deck and its something i wil look into.
Cunning wish could be very nice here