PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] GW Hybrid.dec

klaus
01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Note: I am aware of the fact that the deck below resembles DBFA-Stompy (also posted in this forum) to a certain degree. Ironically, I posted my deck on the same day just a few hours earlier on some German forums. The time and date at the top of those threads indicate that the deck below is not a rip-off in any way. I hope you judges accept it as it is under the given circumstances. For reference:
http://www.zkforum.de/showthread.php?t=46303
http://www.mtg-forum.de/thread_dicke_dinger_30952.html

GW_Hybrid.dec
(updated: 01/06)

1.0) The Deck - overview
2.0) Mainboard and Gameplan
3.0) The Manabase
4.0) The Sideboard
5.0) Matchup Analysis

This deck unites some powerful deck strategies and internal synergies that have already been proven successful in various archetypes. There are certain parallels to Stax, Faery Stompy, Empty the Slogger, Dragon Tompy and the likes. I tried to come up with a deck that compiles some of those tactics in a GW environment with some extra tweaks. Here is what I came up with:

1.0) GW_Hybrid.dec

MD

Artifacts (17):
4 Trinisphere
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Diamond
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte

Creatures (13):
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Loxodon Hierarch
2 Troll Ascetic
1 Exalted Angel
4 Elvish Spirit Guide

Other (8):
3 Call of the Herd
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Armadillo Cloak

Land (22):
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Savannah
2 Forest
4 Wasteland
3 Windswept Heath
1 Plains

SB:
3 Loaming Shaman
3 Krosan Grip
4 Gaddock Teeg
2 Glow Rider
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Sphere of Law

2.0) THE MAINBOARD & Gameplan

Basically GW_Hybrid.dec is built on the following pillars:
Chalice, Trinisphere predominantly for early game disruption complemented by -- tough creatures as kill options boosted by -- first class equipment while supported by -- spot and mass removal.

Chalice of the Void is almost always an auto-include if you don't run 1cc spells while having access to fast mana production. The same goes for Trinisphere - ETS, Stax and FS have proven the power of a first turn Chalice or 3sphere uncountable times. Those 2 artifacts are the reason the rest of the deck can be considered viable - without them most tier 1 decks would simply roll over that deck. The the Moxen alongside Elvish Spirit Guide (hence: ESG) and double-mana lands make a turn 3sphere or Chalice standard turn-1 plays. I tested 2-4 ESG and ended up with an entire playset due to make heavy turn one drops (s.a.) more consistent and the plain fact that they synergize well with the equipment, too. Sword of Fire and Ice as well as Umezawa's Jitte are key when it comes to ground battles. They can be considered filling creature removal slots as well.
A playset of Tarmogoyfs is an auto-include. Not even the anti-synergies with EE and Chalice (for 2) made me think twice.
I have to admit Loxodon Hierarch does not see much play in 1.5 (aside from TheRock.dec). The primary reason is the mana cost factor I believe. GW_Hybrid.dec however seems to be a quite optimal environment for him and vice versa. Both of abilities shine here: The life gain is really crucial regarding Ancient Tomb and the regeneration ability smoothes out the fact that I can't really prevent my opponents to playing mass removal preboard. The GW cost won't let me add another, though.
Call of the Herd is spell that doesn't see a lot of play, either. In GW Hybrid however, I can almost always flashback CotH, making it a sweet 2 for 1 deal, which is good, since there aren't very many ways here to gain card advantage otherwise. Again the equipment factor makes the not too impressive 3/3 elephants way stronger. Same goes for Troll Ascetic: While his mana cost made me doubt him a couple of times, he's been a game winner more than once when equipped.
Krosan Grip and Oblivion Ring are rather self-explanatory and do their job well. Having more control elements in the SB and more aggro in the main has worked for me thus far. Last but not least that Exalted Angel needs to be addressed. His WW cost can be quite tough to pay for in this deck. There are around 12 white mana sources in this deck - so it's not that impossible after all. Running her as a 1-of has worked for me sofar. The life gain is damn good, which is why she is not merely a win more factor, and Chalice at 1 protects her neatly.

3.0) THE MANA BASE

Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors were obvious choices due to the relatively high mana curve and to up the odds for a first turn Chalice or Trinisphere. A first turn Call of the Herd followed by a second turn Loxodon Hierarch and the likes can be decent plays, too. In fact, testing proved that building up real pressure or disruption during turn 1 & 2 is more than crucial. That is why I included the 4th City of Traitors, just to make the early bombs come down more consistently. While multiple Cities tend to be annoying, Mox Diamonds help utilizing extra Cities well.
Wasteland had to be a 4-of in order to support Trinisphere during the midgame. I did consider Rishadan Ports on top of that. They did not prove to be worthwhile however - mostly due to the fact that they weaken the mana base color-wise (in a mono-x version I'd probably run around 2ish)

The basic lands go without saying, I guess.

Note: The mana base is not quite optimal regarding the main deck. Having access to white mana is way more relevant after boarding - I think the compromise that I came up with is viable though.

4.0) THE SIDEBOARD:

Once hyped by Bardo as a replacement for Tormod's Crypt in NQG sideboards, Loaming Shaman has disappeared from the radar it seems. GW_Hybrid.dec however loves that guy to death. The fast mana acceleration make him fast enough in Ichorid and C. Breakfast MUs to justify his inclusion. The fact that Shaman can't be needled by a Dredge.dec player is also kind of sweet. I have tinkered with 4 yet 3 turned out to be the perfect number (in the end its a mere meta-call obv.)
Krosan Grip fits so nicely in this deck that I considered running some MD. More versatile Oblivion Ring has taken its slot for now. I would never go below 2 in the SB for acouple of reasons: Pernicious Deed, Engineered Explosives (for 0), Humility, Stax, FS, Belcher, the list goes on...
Trinisphere and Chalice are some of the best Combo.dec hosers around completed by Glowrider those shine as a hard core trio - making it harder for the combo player to get rid of both, disruption via artifacts and creatures.
Gaddock Teeg stops Wrath of God, Damnation, DoJ, opposing EEs, Dread Return, Force of Will, Smokestack, Armageddon, Fact or Fiction etc.etc.. (need I say more?). Primarily he there to improve my C. Breakfast, LS, Ichorid and Stax MUs.
The 3rd Engineered Explosives in the SB comes in against Belcher & ETS, Bridge from Below tokens, NQG.decs, and random aggro.
I opted for Harmonic Sliver over the 3rd Grip due to the fact that it is equipable, plain as that.
Sphere of Law is more of a meta call. The fact that it handles Goblins, ETS, Dragon Stompy and Burn.dec makes it quite alround in a way, so that I would take it to a random meta as a 2-of. ()

Cards that I considered as SB inclusions:
Defense Grid - I'm positive that Stax gets more out of this guy.
Winter Orb is still being tested - it's really awesome in combination with 3sphere!
Life from the Loam tends to be rather slow and inefficient here even though it would double my odds to beat LS and Stax I guess. I'd probably up Monastery to 2 and add 2 M. Factories as well if I'd include it.

5.0) MU ANALYSIS:

Until now I have tested against Ichorid, NQG variants, White Stax, Landstill, Goblins, Belcher, TES, Cephallid Breakfast, Stifle Nought and Aggro Loam.

Ichorid wins G1 at least 90% of the time unless Trinisphere or Chalice come down early. G2/3 is a different story Loaming Shaman and the additional EE as well as Gaddock (G3 if the player decides to leave the Dread Return package in) do their job well. The 4th Shaman would be great here...ah well. Its still not a favourable MU I believe, though I have won here a couple of times.
NQG variants are definitly a favourable MU. Chalice and Trinisphere work wonders here. I hardly board anything beside EE G2/3 it depends what threats I encounter G1. Against counter top/ toolbox I board in the Grips.
White Stax is a favourable MU, too. Both of us have quite similar disruption elements, while go way more aggro . To my advantage his 3spheres and Chalices don't bother me. After siding it's a cakewalk: The additional Grips, Gaddock and that one Harmonic Sliver seal the deal.
Goblins is a tight MU. To be honest a Turn 1 Lackey poses a severe problem. If Goblins would still be hyped now, my deck would have a completely different SB, I guess. I usually board in 2 Grips (against opposing EE's and Vials) and the 2 Protection Circles. It's a always close game, I definitely enjoy these.
Belcher is an alright MU. I have to really mull aggressively into Chalice/3sphere G1. G2/3 are OK with additional Grips, Gaddock, xtra EE and Glowrider.
Pretty much the same goes for TES and Breakfast those are a little bit harder to fight though.
Stifle Nought shouldn't be a problem With those Grips, EEs, Chalice/Trini package. I hardly ever lost to that archetype.
My test games against 4color Landstill didn't go too well. So I dropped that Harmonic Sliver for another Grip. Luckily "The Rock" is not being played too much anymore - Deed just gives this deck headaches!
In a P. Deed infested meta I'd swap some O. Rings and Grips bewteen MD and SB most likely - or even find room in the SB for Needles oO.
Fortunaltely, The Rock is not being played too much anymore - Deed just gives this deck headaches!
In a meta with lots of Deeds around I'd swap some O. Rings and Grips bewteen MD and SB most likely - or even find room in the SB for Needles oO.
Defense Grid would definitely find a spot in the side in a control heavy meta...MUC gave me a hard time as well.
I played several matches against AggroLoam this MU tends to be favorable as it turned out. I usually found a solution to everything they came up with. Oblivion Ring, and especially EE did well. An early Chalice@1 or Trinisphere are mostly *gg* in the long run, since I drop fatter guys and play more removal. Chalice@2 is the knockout punch.

---
I'll add further testing results asap...also more detailed then...

bigup!
klaus

PS: could anyone come up with a more catchy name for that deck?!

Jaiminho
01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
What are those singletons good for? You can't search your deck for them...

kundera
01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Just by scanning the decklist, I imagine you could try Sphere of Law in the SB on the CoP slot. It's cost doesn't make a problem for your manabase.

Besides, it won't ever be caught under a Chalice@2. Tarmogoyf is good enough so that you can just ignore this drawback, but the same can't be said for that CoP.

klaus
01-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Just by scanning the decklist, I imagine you could try Sphere of Law in the SB on the CoP slot. It's cost doesn't make a problem for your manabase.

Besides, it won't ever be caught under a Chalice@2. Tarmogoyf is good enough so that you can just ignore this drawback, but the same can't be said for that CoP.

When ever I board in CoP (Goblins, Dragon Stompy etc..) I won't set Chalice at 2 anyways, since it tends to be mostly ineffective that way. I will consider it though. Thx 4 that.

@ Jaiminho:
The cards that I run as singletons are really powerful (Exalted Angel, Krosan Grip/Oblivion Ring) - I don't want to see them more than once in each G1 generally.

Jak
01-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Do you get Thresh that often to make Nantuko Monastery worthwhile? I can see a GW stompy deck doing very well, but the singletons and the manabase just look weird.

I would play 4 Oblivion Ring in this deck because it is awesome removal. Just cut the Grip. You also play a lot of lands to support Mox Diamond. Why not just cut the Diamonds for 2 more Chrome Mox and lower the land cout to like 20? This frees up space to add more threats. Also, in a deck like Chalice Stompy, swords is really dead when you lay down a CotV @ 1, so I could see Armadillo Cloak in the Jitte slot. AngryTroll used a deck with it and the card does kick some major ass. You would basically crush Aggro with the big beatz and gaining a ton of life.

klaus
01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Do you get Thresh that often to make Nantuko Monastery worthwhile? I can see a GW stompy deck doing very well, but the singletons and the manabase just look weird.

I would play 4 Oblivion Ring in this deck because it is awesome removal. Just cut the Grip. You also play a lot of lands to support Mox Diamond. Why not just cut the Diamonds for 2 more Chrome Mox and lower the land cout to like 20? This frees up space to add more threats. Also, in a deck like Chalice Stompy, swords is really dead when you lay down a CotV @ 1, so I could see Armadillo Cloak in the Jitte slot. AngryTroll used a deck with it and the card does kick some major ass. You would basically crush Aggro with the big beatz and gaining a ton of life.

You got some good points there! Oblivion Ring IS awesome! Other than Grip it is never a dead draw. I'll leave the Grips to the SB and replace that MD Grip with a Ring.
And you're right. It does happen that I draw into Monastery early on, which kind of sucks. I thought about dropping Mox Diamonds in favor of more Chrome Moxen. The problem was that I simply do not run enough colored spells to support an entire play set - yet if I replaced some artifacts (Jitte as you suggested) with colored spells and lowered the land count (as you suggested), a playset would be viable. Man I feel like a idiot not having come up with those adjustments myself. But hey - that's forums are for, right?
I'll test some of your ideas and update the list accordingly in the meantime.
Again good stuff you came up with!
thx 4 that.

@Kundera:
Sphere of Law IS stronger than CoP:R here - thx bro!

PS: What do you guys think about
Griffin Guide?
The 4th Call of the Herd?
Pithing Needle in the Side?
Ensnaring Bridge in the SB?
Duel Grounds?

Jak
01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Volrath's Stronghold requires black. Griffin Guide is okay. I would play Armagillo Cloak over it because life gain does matter. Against burn, goblins, etc, gaining a ton of life wins you the game. I would up the Calls to 4 just becuase 3 drops are important. I really like this deck. Good work.

klaus
01-06-2008, 07:59 AM
My test games against 4color landstill didn't go too well. That's why I dropped that Harmonic Sliver for another Grip. Luckily "The Rock" is not being played too much anymore - Deed just gives this deck headaches!
In a meta with lots of Deeds around I'd swap some O. Rings and Grips bewteen MD and SB most likely - or even find room in my SB for Needles oO.
Defense Grid would definitely find a spot in the side in a control heavy meta. ...MUC gave me a hard time as well.
I played several matches against AggroLoam this MU tends to be favorable as it turned out. I usually found a solution to everything they came up with. Oblivion Ring, and especially EE were awesome. An early Chalice@1 or Trinisphere are mostly gg in the long run. Since I drop fatter guys and play more removal. Chalice@2 is the knockout punch.

My recent additions: Armadillo Cloak (2) and O.Rings (3) proved strong. With those in the main I can afford to run 3 Chrome Moxen - I'm inclined, however to leave that singleton Mox Diamond in, since he does utilize additional Cities and Tombs neatly, and 4 Chrome Moxen seems overkill with all those artifacts. - what do you think?

Overall, GW_Hybrid.dec performs really well and - it turned out to be more versatile than I initially assumed. :smile:

klaus