PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] UGW Geddon Equilibrium

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Here's the deck that I've been keeping secret for over two years and been boasting about. This deck is a prison deck and has been thoroughly tested on MWS. I didn't want to post this deck on CanG becuase I don't really care about prizes. I just wanted to get my idea out there before anyone has the chance to do so themselves. Here's the list followed by some card explanations and analyses.

Note to Mods: This deck is thoroughly tested despite it not proving itself in a tournament environment. I've read the requirements and this thread should meet it's protocol.

UGW Geddon Equilibrium.DEC

By Cavius The Great

Mana:21
4 Tundra
4 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Savannah
4 Land Grant
3 Chrome Mox
4 Birds of Paradise

Lock Pieces:13
3 Land Equilbrium
1 Ravages of War
3 Armageddon
4 Propaganda
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Aura of Silence

Counters:12
4 Force of Will
4 Force Spike
4 Daze

Draw Spells/Removal:10
3 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
1 Mystical Tutor
2 Swords to Plowshares

Kill Conditions:4
2 Ebony Owl Netsuke
2 Misers' Cage

Sideboard:15
3 Aura of Silence
4 Stifle
2 Null Rod
2 Swords to Plowshares
2 Echoing Truth
2 Chill

How The Deck Plays
This deck plays very much like a control deck and after countering a few key spells it goes into 'prison mode' and dominates the rest of the game. This deck runs 12 'basically' hard counters becuase of the mana denial factor, Force Spike and Daze usually are considered "hard" counters, as well as Force of Will which is more obvious. You're main goal with this deck is to never be afraid to hardcast permanents. With FoW and Daze in hand you should have no fear in doing so. I've played this deck numerous times and hardcasted many permanents without any repercussions. Always keep this in mind while playing this deck. If playing against combo and such you should probably always leave some mana open for a first turn Force Spike or Stifle if that's the only counter in your hand. Otherwise, go for the first turn BoP, second turn Propaganda against Empty the Warrens. This play has won me many games against Belcher and TES. After getting into play a Land Equilbrium and a Propaganda followed by an Armageddon, you're basically able to sit back and cast your kill conditions, Misers' Cage and Ebony Owl Netsuke. Chrome Mox and BoP as well as an extra land in play (which wouldn't help your opponent all that much) allows you to cast these 3cc artifacts. Unlike many decks, my kill conditions aren't creatures, which makes my opponent's creature removal dead, and in itself proves to be the most resilient option avaliable. Now for some card analyses.

Card Analysis

Land Equilbrium - The main lock peice. Without it, this deck wouldn't be able to take control of the game indefinitely. It obviously comboes well with Armageddon.

Armageddon/Ravages of War - I run 5 Armageddon effects total if you count Mystical Tutor. I run a single Ravages of War to combat Extirpate.

Propaganda/Ghostly Prison - Part of a prison lockpeice. Basically no creatures can attack me with one or two of these in play as well as a Land Equilibrium coupled with an Armageddon.

Aura of Silence - Another lockpeice. This little enchantment is the non creature permanent equivalent to Propaganda. A very sweet little card. In a pinch I can sac it to destroy something troublesome.

Force of Will - 27 blue spells should be adequate enough to support this staple counter. An auto-include.

Force Spike - This is usually a hard counter for me all throughout the game, whether it's during the first or second turn or up until I acheive the lock. It's basically never a dead card.

Daze - This card is great pre-lockdown. It allows me to play permanents without fear of any repercussions and it's good even afterwards becuase I could just hard cast it after acheiving a lock.

Land Grant/Bop/Chrome Mox/10 Land - I'm really happy with this manabase. It usually gives me no trouble. Ten land seems to be the right number as well as 4 Land Grant to fetch them with. I'm usually never worried about showing my hand to my opponent. Either way he'll lose to this war machine. :wink: Chrome Mox and Birds of Paradise are my mana after I achieve a Land Equilibrium lockdown. It allows me to cast things while denying my opponent the same opportunity.

Swords to Plowshares - I really chose to run this becuase of Gaddock Teeg. I'm afraid of Teeg so much that I chose StP over Wrath of God.

Mystical Tutor - A nice little one-of. I really count this card as either an StP #3 or a Geddon #5. I see no need to run more and it basically ups the count of alot of spells in my deck and at the same time being versatile.

Ponder - I originally had Serum Visions in this slot before Lorwyn came out. I realized this a better overall card so I replaced these slots with Ponder. It's usually necessary to run cards like these when this and Brainstorm are your only good options. massive draw spells are not an issue with this deck. Card Quality>Card Amount in this type of deck.

Brainstorm - An auto include. It may seem a little worse without fetches but this card does it for me. It lets me put back permanents in exchange for counters which is the main reason I run it.

Misers' Cage - I think this card will make someone's top5 artifacts in the near future. This card is amazingly good. When I achieve control of the game this card puts an end to my opponent effectively. My opponent will always have 5 or more cards in hand with a lockdown achieved. To be honest with you, I don't understand why they don't run this card in Stax and Geddon Stax. A real sleeper card I have hopes of putting on the map. It's just that good.

Ebony Owl Netsuke - This card is great after achieving a Land Equilibrium lockdown. It's not uncommon for my opponent to have seven cards in hand every upkeep. It also deals 4 damage which is two more than Cage. This is significant, especially when you're playing in a tournament where they may call time during matches.

Stifle - A great card versus storm obviously. It improves my TES and Belcher matchups significantly. Not much else to say about this card.

Null Rod - My tech versus affinity and decks that run good amounts of artifact accelleration.

Echoing Truth - This card is great after achieving a lock. The card you return probably won't come back into play with a lock acheived.

Chill - Burn and Sligh suprisingly enough are two of my worst matchups. That and Elves becuase of they're mana producing behinds. I chose to run Chill over Ivory Tower becuase it seems like a more powerful card even though it may be slightly more narrow than Ivory Tower.

Matchups Analysis

These matchup analysis aren't completely finished. I still have alot of testing to do and will provide results in the best way that I can. In other words, I'm providing you the info from only the decks I've actually tested against, to be fair.

CRET Belcher - This matchup is highly favorable. I'm usually able to counter their Belcher when cast and I'm usually able to get a Propaganda within a turn after they cast Warrens.

Elves - This matchup is highly unfavorable. I basically can't win with all of their mana producers. I could run Cursed Totem or Dream Tides in my SB if I wanted to, but this matchup is so insignificant I'd rather take an auto-loss.

Burn/Sligh - This matchup is moderately unfavorable. The reason being they can cast critters and burn off of one land. This is very bad for me since they can still cast things even with a Land Equilibrium in play. I use Chill in the SB in efforts to improve this matchup.

9-Land Stompy - This matchup is highly favorable. They basically can't win with a single Propaganda effect in play becuase of they're low land count. This matchup is usually an auto-win.

RW Rifter - This matchup is highly favorable. Rifter is a very mana hungry control deck. I cast one Armageddon during the late game and it's basically over.

Deadguy Ale - This matchup is slightly favorable. Once I get a Propaganda effect in play it turns the tides significantly. I'm usually able to brainstorm to save key spells from discard and I'm usually able to Force Spike or Daze Hymns and Vindicates. This matchup doesn't scare me much. It's very winnable.

UW Angel Stompy - TBA

Goblins - TBA

Landstill - TBA

Threshold - TBA

Affinity - TBA

Dragon Stompy - TBA

Those are all of the decks I've tested against. I will test more and include more matchup results in the near future.

That about wraps it up. Let me know what you guys think of my latest innovation. Comments, Suggestions and constructive critiques are very welcome. Peace.

edgewalker
01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
So you haven't haven't tested against threshold or any landstill variants (two of the formats strongest decks) but supposedly this deck break in the format open?

Excuse me if I ignore this until you get more results in against stronger decks.

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 03:30 PM
So you haven't haven't tested against threshold or any landstill variants (two of the formats strongest decks) but supposedly this deck break in the format open?

Excuse me if I ignore this until you get more results in against stronger decks.

As stated in my thread, matchup results are temporarily incomplete. I did matchup results according to all the decks I've tested against. I don't lie about anything or make up results. I will update the thread's matchup results in due time and as soon as possible. Goblins, Thresh and Landstill are some results that I hope you look forward to seeing in the future. I hope that answers your question and I look forward to that very fact, as well.

edgewalker
01-06-2008, 03:54 PM
As stated in my thread, matchup results are temporarily incomplete. I did matchup results according to all the decks I've tested against. I don't lie about anything or make up results. I will update the thread's matchup results in due time and as soon as possible. Goblins, Thresh and Landstill are some results that I hope you look forward to seeing in the future. I hope that answers your question and I look forward to that very fact, as well.

I know, I was simply stating that you have only tested against tier 2 decks at best. (not including deadguy) So I was simply trying to point out that you might be a little quick to claim that your deck can break the format in half. But who knows maybe I'm still laughing from your thread in the mish-mash.

Ceridan
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I´ve seen a deck from a big championship that run 4 armageddon, 3 ravages of war and 4 ghostly prison, 3 propaganda... in what way would your version outmatch this deck?

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I´ve seen a deck from a big championship that run 4 armageddon, 3 ravages of war and 4 ghostly prison, 3 propaganda... in what way would your version outmatch this deck?

It's really hard to judge not seeing the entire list. I would have to say Land Equilibrium. This single card makes the deck just that much better. I'm also running a unique mana base, 4 non-creature win conditions and 12 counters but I would have to see the entire list that you're speaking of, to make a proper assessment.

vigilante
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
....This deck plays very much like a control deck and after countering a few key spells it goes into 'prison mode' and dominates the rest of the game....
....you're basically able to sit back and cast your kill conditions, Misers' Cage and Ebony Owl Netsuke.....
....Unlike many decks, my kill conditions aren't creatures, which makes my opponent's creature removal dead....
Sounds an awful lot like every Stasis deck I've ever heard of, except that your central lock piece is Land Equilibrium instead of Stasis. While Stasis needs certain support cards (Root Maze/Frozen Aether/Forsaken City/Chronatog/whatever) to achieve a lock, so does Land Equilibrium (Propaganda/Ghostly Prison/Armageddon/Ravages of War).

I can see this having all the weaknesses of Stasis (reliance on assembling combo quickly; slow clock), with nothing that makes it appear significantly better.

Also, prison/control deck + 10 lands = skepticism.

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds an awful lot like every Stasis deck I've ever heard of, except that your central lock piece is Land Equilibrium instead of Stasis. While Stasis needs certain support cards (Root Maze/Frozen Aether/Forsaken City/Chronatog/whatever) to achieve a lock, so does Land Equilibrium (Propaganda/Ghostly Prison/Armageddon/Ravages of War).

The only advantage that I think my deck has versus Stasis is that Chronatog can be StP'ed, Smother'ed, etc. and Forsaken City can be wasted away by Wasteland or hit by Ghost quarter. Stasis's lock peices are a bit more fragile, especially in the Forsaken City example, but with Geddon Equilibrium the deck has the advantage of playing spells that can easily be protected by countermagic.

Also, prison/control deck + 10 lands = skepticism.

I've messed around with the manabase alot and 17 mana sources and 4 BoP is the perfect amount of mana for this deck. You also have to remember, this deck is based around keeping lands out of play, so the less land I draw, the less dead draws I get.

etrigan
01-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I've messed around with the manabase alot and 17 mana sources and 4 BoP is the perfect amount of mana for this deck. You also have to remember, this deck is based around keeping lands out of play, so the less land I draw, the less dead draws I get.

Once you have your lock set up, why does it matter how many lands you draw?

Land Grant and Birds of Paradise are both suspect as mana sources. Needs more moxen I think.

vigilante
01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I went ahead and goldfished this about a dozen times....I encountered mana problems in the majority of those games. The premise of the deck might be to keep lands in play at a minimum, sure, but getting to 4 mana to play your crucial spells (Land Equilibrium followed by Geddon) is kind of important too.

@ removal targetting Chronatog .... nobody uses Chronatog to maintain Stasis anymore, so it's a moot point.

@ Wasteland .... land destruction is going to be just as much of a problem pre-lock for Geddon Equilibrium as it is for Stasis. After a lock is achieved, Root Maze/Frozen Aether + Stasis shuts off Wasteland just as effectively as Equilibrium + no lands does. Pre-lock, Wasteland is arguably more of a problem for Geddon Equlilbrium as you're running much fewer lands than a typical Stasis deck, plus your lock pieces cost significantly more to cast, plus you've got no basics whatsoever. That, and Birds of Paradise (which you include in your mana source count) can be easily killed when your opponent sees how few lands you're dropping. Oh, and Land Grant is asking to be countered.

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Once you have your lock set up, why does it matter how many lands you draw?

Land Grant and Birds of Paradise are both suspect as mana sources. Needs more moxen I think.

It matters how many counters you draw to protect what's in play along with draw spells to dig for your win cons.

Land Grant and BoP have been working amazing for me. I have had up to 4 Chrome Mox and cut the fourth for something I needed more, I forget exactly what. 3 surprisingly is consistant enough for me.

Believe me man, I've tried it all. This deck is thoroughly tested down to the number of lock peices all the way to the manabase. I've even messed around with fetches and a higher land count but found that it was too inconsistant.

I went ahead and goldfished this about a dozen times....I encountered mana problems in the majority of those games. The premise of the deck might be to keep lands in play at a minimum, sure, but getting to 4 mana to play your crucial spells (Land Equilibrium followed by Geddon) is kind of important too.

I find this kind of odd. I've never really had mana problems with this deck. Is it my luck? I've gotten an occasionally mana screw but was able to hold my opponent off with counters until I drew my fourth mana for armageddon.

Alfred
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Surely Horizon Canopy should have a spot in this deck? It fixes two of the colors in your deck, and can be sacrificed once in play to help lock an opponent under Equilibrium.

Land Grants seem like trash. The only real synergy they have with the rest of the deck is with Chrome Mox. Against decks with Force or Daze, Land Grant can be a real pain in the rear end. Trust me, I've played with it a lot. What are you playing it for? The deck thinning? Grabbing different colors of mana? Fetches do both of those things, and don't randomly make you lose to countermagic.

I can understand the logic of that, but Land Grant IS a land. It doesn't really do anything better other than feed Chrome Mox, and has a couple of bad drawbacks on top of that. I would really take it out of here.

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Surely Horizon Canopy should have a spot in this deck? It fixes two of the colors in your deck, and can be sacrificed once in play to help lock an opponent under Equilibrium.

Land Grants seem like trash. The only real synergy they have with the rest of the deck is with Chrome Mox. Against decks with Force or Daze, Land Grant can be a real pain in the rear end. Trust me, I've played with it a lot. What are you playing it for? The deck thinning? Grabbing different colors of mana? Fetches do both of those things, and don't randomly make you lose to countermagic.

I can understand the logic of that, but Land Grant IS a land. It doesn't really do anything better other than feed Chrome Mox, and has a couple of bad drawbacks on top of that. I would really take it out of here.

Those are some interesting comments, Alfred. Some very good suggestions. Horizon Canopy seems ingenius. You have me really curious right now, I need to probe into your mind for a second. What exactly would you suggest for a manabase?

Alfred
01-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Those are some interesting comments, Alfred. Some very good suggestions. Horizon Canopy seems ingenius. You have me really curious right now, I need to probe into your mind for a second. What exactly would you suggest for a manabase?

Not having played this particular deck, these are just going to be suggestions off of the top of my head.

First of all, I would definitely suggest swapping out the Land Grants for some Flooded Strands. Strands do almost exactly the same thing that you want Land Grants to do, except don't require exposing your hand and aren't a threat to be countered.

21 mana seems very light, especially for a deck that really wants to resolve multiple 4 mana spells, as well as 4 of those mana sources having summoning sickness as well as the ability to be removed. This number should be bolstered, I would say to about 24, given the amount of search you have. I would start trimming in the win condition section, and maybe experimenting with different artifact mana sources; probably bringing the Chrome Mox count up to 4.

For my win condition argument, in a hard-lock deck, you only need one solid win condition that can fight through countermagic. I would suggest something like 2 Owl/Cage and 1 Academy Ruins, which also helps bring your mana-count up. Ruins can make stopping your win condition extremely hard, even if your opponent manages to remove or counter it multiple times.

With more mana sources, you'll be able to resolve those 4cc spells much more easily. As for the rest of the deck, I'll have to give it a try myself to figure out what's what.

Cavius The Great
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't really like Academy Ruins here. Since I basically have to have zero land in play when the lock is acheived. Armageddon and Ruins isn't very techy either.

I agree though that this deck needs 24 mana sources. Here's my take on some initial changes.

-4 Land Grant
-3 Ponder
+4 Flooded Strand
+3 Horizon Canopy

This makes the manabase look something like this.

x4 Tundra
x4 Tropical Island
x1 Breeding Pool
x1 Savannah
x4 Flooded Strand
x3 Horizon Canopy
x3 Chrome Mox
x4 Birds of Paradise

This is basically 24 mana. The reason I chose to cut Ponder is becuase it's a cantrip and Horizon Canopy serves the same purpose, and then some, so I thought Ponder should get the axe. This is still good though, 24 blue spells after cutting Ponder is more than enough to support FoW. Let me know what you guys think of this manabase and tell me if you think it's sufficient enough.

P.S. - Someone just bought 73 Misers' Cage from SCG.com. I'm not sure if I'm the cause of it or not. They probably read this.

To be honest with you, I don't understand why they don't run this card in Stax and Geddon Stax. A real sleeper card I have hopes of putting on the map. :wink:

P.S.S. - Any thoughts on Stormseeker as a one-of to end the game quicker? Or do you think that would be considered a win more card? I don't like the fact of running green just for BoP, it really bothers me. Do you guys think it's worth it, or should I cut green entirely?

P.S.S.S. - I'm still not sold on cutting Land Grant to be honest with you. I still need to test the new manabase and I'll let you guys know my results. I think I initially ran Land Grant becuase of Chrome Moxes card disadvantage. Card disadvantage and extra land isn't good. That was my initial reasoning behind that and that fact could still be relevent.

Excuse my erratic thought process. ;)

Lukas Preuss
01-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Judging from your testing results, it seems to me that you tested the deck against random people on MWS. This says close to nothing about a decks viablity.

If you did serious testing with this deck, I have no idea why you didn't test against the good decks in the format. I don't see why this deck belongs in the Established Decks forum then, if you haven't even the slightest clue on how it fares against the tier 1.

Silverdragon
01-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Note to Mods: This deck is thoroughly tested despite it not proving itself in a tournament environment.

Matchups Analysis

These matchup analysis aren't completely finished. I still have alot of testing to do and will provide results in the best way that I can. In other words, I'm providing you the info from only the decks I've actually tested against, to be fair.

UW Angel Stompy - TBA

Goblins - TBA

Landstill - TBA

Threshold - TBA

Affinity - TBA

Dragon Stompy - TBA

Uhm aren't you contradicting yourself here?
The concept looks interesting but the execution seems poor.
The whole deck is very fragile and relies on Force of Will and some soft counters to force through and protect few and expensive threats. As you also mentioned the lock does nothing against non-land manaproducing permanents like Elves.
The kill conditions have one important weakness too. They do almost nothing to further your gameplan until you've assembled a lock and they certainly don't help you stay alive to get there. Kill conditions in other Stax decks may be answerable more easily but at least they help you survive if they are not answered.

Moczoc
01-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Starting the calculation with a locked opponent with 5 cards in his hand Ebony Owl Netsuke takes 8 turns to kill the opponent, while Miser's Cage takes 10 turns!
Why don't you play Iron Maiden? It also just needs 8 turns

Cavius The Great
01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Judging from your testing results, it seems to me that you tested the deck against random people on MWS. This says close to nothing about a decks viablity.

If you did serious testing with this deck, I have no idea why you didn't test against the good decks in the format. I don't see why this deck belongs in the Established Decks forum then, if you haven't even the slightest clue on how it fares against the tier 1.

I've tested this deck to the best of my abilities. If you can be somewhat patient, I should be able to provide a matchup analysis for every deck I have listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavius The Great

Note to Mods: This deck is thoroughly tested despite it not proving itself in a tournament environment.

Quote:
Matchups Analysis

UW Angel Stompy - TBA

Goblins - TBA

Landstill - TBA

Threshold - TBA

Affinity - TBA

Dragon Stompy - TBA

Uhm aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Obviously not, since I've tested agianst six fairly popular decks that you failed to mention.

As you also mentioned the lock does nothing against non-land manaproducing permanents like Elves.

Is that even a relevent debate?? Who cares if Elves is an auto loss, it's not a very popular deck so I'm not too worried about it. I could also run Cursed Totem and Dream Tides in the SB if necessary but I rather take an auto loss and dedicate my SB to "real" decks.

Starting the calculation with a locked opponent with 5 cards in his hand Ebony Owl Netsuke takes 8 turns to kill the opponent, while Miser's Cage takes 10 turns!
Why don't you play Iron Maiden? It also just needs 8 turns

Misers' Cage is better IMO becuase it deals 2 damage with 5 cards in hand and Iron Maiden would only deal one. I realize with more cards in hand this statistic would change, but I believe Iron maiden may be slightly too conditional. And the 2 turn difference isn't that big of an issue becuase my opponent usually scoops by then.

Moczoc
01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Then why do you play Ebony Owl Netsuke? It's much more conditional than Iron Maiden! If you want to start dealing damage earlier, why don't you play 2 Miser's Cage and 2 Iron Maiden?

Cavius The Great
01-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Then why do you play Ebony Owl Netsuke? It's much more conditional than Iron Maiden! If you want to start dealing damage earlier, why don't you play 2 Miser's Cage and 2 Iron Maiden?

Becuase Iron Maiden deals 3 damage tops, while Ebony Owl deals 4. You have a point though, Iron maiden probably would deal more damage 'overall' throughout the game.

Sanguine Voyeur
01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Obviously not, since I've tested agianst six fairly popular decks that you failed to mention.
Is that even a relevent debate?? Who cares if Elves is an auto loss, it's not a very popular deck so I'm not too worried about it.Not only that, but you missed the important match-ups such as Goblins, Threshold, and Landstill.

Contradictions aside, why do you use such passive win conditions?

Cavius The Great
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Not only that, but you missed the important match-ups such as Goblins, Threshold, and Landstill.

Contradictions aside, why do you use such passive win conditions?

I thought it was obvious. I chose my win conditions because they are resilient and can't be targeted by creature kill. I also don't have to worry about blockers or creature stalls. My 3cc artifacts are similiar to unblockable creatures that can't be targeted by creature removal.

@Moczoc - Ebony Owl Netsuke cost 2 mana which is another advantage it has over Iron Maiden. I just figured I'd mention that.

shadowgripper
01-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Land Equilibrium - Quoted from gatherer text: "10/4/2004 This is a replacement effect, so it is not possible to tap the land that just entered play for mana (as a mana source) before you sacrifice a land." Burn decks, welcome to hell.

Flagstones of Trokair - Just a note, you do not have to find anything with it. Lets your randomly geddon without the lock just to slow things down for your opponent, since you recover faster.

Jace - IMO better than Misers' Cage. It helps before lock is established and will win you the game, as the opponent can't do anything about it. Also gets around the fact your win conditions were both artifacts.

Also note this deck works perfectly fine as UW only. You don't need Birds of Paradise. Because after you geddon or whatever, you'll still be able to draw into your Chrome Moxen and play your win condition.

Cavius The Great
01-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanx for the reply.

Land Equilibrium - Quoted from gatherer text: "10/4/2004 This is a replacement effect, so it is not possible to tap the land that just entered play for mana (as a mana source) before you sacrifice a land." Burn decks, welcome to hell.

Wow I did not realize this. This makes the Burn matchup and Sligh matchup significantly better. Thanx.

Flagstones of Trokair - Just a note, you do not have to find anything with it. Lets your randomly geddon without the lock just to slow things down for your opponent, since you recover faster.

I basically don't want Flagstones here. This deck isn't designed to "recover" from a Geddon, it's designed to have "zero" lands in play.

Jace - IMO better than Misers' Cage. It helps before lock is established and will win you the game, as the opponent can't do anything about it. Also gets around the fact your win conditions were both artifacts.

How does Jace Beleren benefit this deck? putting twenty cards into my opponent's graveyard is a very slow win condition. I rather have Misers' Cage since Jace is a much less resilient card.

Also note this deck works perfectly fine as UW only. You don't need Birds of Paradise. Because after you geddon or whatever, you'll still be able to draw into your Chrome Moxen and play your win condition.

I was considering changing the deck to strictly UW but Land Grant and BoPs are so important to this deck it's not even funny. I'm also thinking of running a single Stormseeker (that can be fetched via Mystical Tutor) to end the game quicker in timed tournaments. It should be a nice finisher in conjuction with Cage/Owl and usually deals 8 damage for 4 mana which is very cost efficient (cast after a lock and before discard phase, of course :wink: )

Nelis
03-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I was considering changing the deck to strictly UW but Land Grant and BoPs are so important to this deck it's not even funny.

Just a thought. Maybe you could try a mana base with Mox Diamonds and Ancient Tombs? You can pitch excess lands to Mox Diamond and Ancient Tomb would enable you to put Land Equilibrium into play as early as turn 2. (turn 1 even if you're really lucky :smile: )

Cavius The Great
03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Just a thought. Maybe you could try a mana base with Mox Diamonds and Ancient Tombs? You can pitch excess lands to Mox Diamond and Ancient Tomb would enable you to put Land Equilibrium into play as early as turn 2. (turn 1 even if you're really lucky :smile: )

I was testing a UW version of the deck on MWS with that same exact setup (Moxen/Tombs/Cities) but for some wierd reason it wasn't as consistent. I even added Fact or Fiction and it still wasn't as smooth as the three color version of the deck.

My new list though runs 8 Propaganda effects, 2 less win cons, an extra Geddon (Ravages of War) and two Spell Snare. These extra additions seem to give the deck an "I can't lose" feel, to it, while playing. I also don't like running Land Grant but oddly enough, it doesn't matter much. What else will the opponent do when he sees a hand full of free or cheap counters other than start biting his fingernails nervously. :wink: Oh, and I added 2 Wall of Roots to the latest version and I'm really liking it, to say the least. Thanx for taking interest in the deck. I plan on building Geddon Equilibrium ASAP right before I finish up with my other projects. All I really need is the duals and I'm set but I got friends that can loan me anything I need, so it's all gravy. :smile:

EDIT: I also upped the Chrome Mox count to 4, respectively. =)

frogboy
03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
moved to N&D until a more tested, finalized version comes out

Grollub
03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
How does the new list with 8 Propaganda and more 'geddons look? And as mentioned before, have you atleast tried Jace before dismissing him, he really seems like interesting inclusion as helping you win the attrition wars against opposing control decks, and being a not "much" slower win condition, plus he pinches to FoW in a pinch.

Interesting deck, as it reminds me alot of some of my very first tournaments with 'geddon/equilibrium aggro many, many years ago. :-)

Cavius The Great
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Here's my current list.

UGW Geddon Equilibrium.DEC By Cavius The Great

// Lands
4 [A] Tundra
4 [A] Tropical Island
2 [R] Savannah

// Creatures
4 [4E] Birds of Paradise
2 [MI] Wall of Roots

// Spells
1 [SOK] Ebony Owl Netsuke
4 [5E] Armageddon
4 [5E] Brainstorm
1 [MI] Misers' Cage
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [MM] Land Grant
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [7E] Force Spike
4 [NE] Daze
4 [TE] Propaganda
4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
3 [LG] Land Equilibrium
2 [DIS] Spell Snare
1 [P3] Ravages of War

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [B] Swords to Plowshares
SB: 3 [WL] Aura of Silence
SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 4 [SC] Stifle
SB: 2 [WL] Null Rod
SB: 2 [6E] Chill

The major changes were the removal of Ponder and the addition of more Prop effects, 2 Spell Snare and an extra Geddon. I also took out Breeding Pool (jank) and replaced it with Savannah since being able to get white mana is more significant, than I thought, with the deck. I hope you like the new build and with more testing, maybe I can get this thread back in the established forums. :wink: This is pretty much near a final list, so it's up to the mods.

Maveric78f
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Jace is clearly the best kill in this deck.

Cavius The Great
03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Jace is clearly the best kill in this deck.

How many jace should I run? And should I keep Ebony Owl Netsuke in the deck alongside Jace because of their synergy with eachother? Or should I drop both my artifact win cons?