PDA

View Full Version : [CaND] ACAL (aggro CAL)

Maveric78f
01-07-2008, 03:04 AM
If I could post 2 decks for the CaND competition, I would certainly have proposed this one in addition to the Ugb merfolk. The ability to play 15 cheap and very big creatures plus lock peaces is absolutely impressive. The main problem of this deck is the curve that is very strong at 2 that makes it very sensible to counterbalance for instance.

The new giant warrior from morningtide is a real bomb. It's so strong in itself and so combo with life from the loam... You know what you are going to draw, which means that you can choose to dredge or not in consequence.

// Lands 25
2 [OD] Forest (3)
3 [ON] Forgotten Cave
3 [U] Taiga
1 [R] Plateau
1 [MM] Mountain (3)
4 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
4 [TE] Wasteland
1 [R] Savannah
3 [ON] Wooded Foothills
3 [ON] Windswept Heath

// Creatures 16
4 [OD] Terravore
1 [JU] Genesis
3 [OD] Wild Mongrel
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [MOR] Countryside Crusher

// Spells (8 tutors + 4 engine components + 7 control elements)
4 [JU] Burning Wish
1 [TSP] Ancient Grudge
4 [US] Gamble
3 [TO] Devastating Dreams
2 [RAV] Life from the Loam
1 [JU] Ray of Revelation
1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
1 [JU] Solitary Confinement
1 [EX] Seismic Assault
1 [P3] Rolling Earthquake

// Sideboard 15
SB: 1 [TO] Devastating Dreams
SB: 1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
SB: 1 [PS] Hull Breach
SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 1 [7E] Pyroclasm
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
SB: 3 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 [P3] Rolling Earthquake

Every remark is welcome.

vigilante
01-07-2008, 07:56 AM
I love the look of this. I mean, really love it. A couple of things:

1) How have the one-of control elements been working out for you? The Ancient Grudge and Ray of Revelation I get (as you can Gamble for them with impunity), but with only Gambles to tutor up the Chalice/Confinement/Seismic Assault/Rolling Earthquake, and no way to recur them if the Gamble backfires, doesn't that strike you as a bit risky? Would there be any advantage to, say, upping the Confinement and Seismic Assault counts to 3 each in the main, putting some Grudges/Rays in the SB (obviously not to Wish for, but to board in when you know what you're facing), and relying on Burning Wishes to tutor up artifact/enchantment removal in game 1?

2) I realise the maindeck is pretty tight at the moment, but surely there's a way to squeeze some Mox Diamonds in there. Everyone loves the "first turn fetchland, Mox Diamond pitching cycling land, Life from the Loam returning the two lands" opening. Diamond is also something nice to see in play when you're contemplating unleashing a Devastating Dreams.

Maveric78f
01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
1/ I have the response to that. The first is that I never tested it because the MWS spoiler is not out and I did not find any friend to test it. But the gamble on chalice is here to own combo on first game: land wish chalice@0 on turn 1. It's abit the same idea with the tabernacle in SB. About the other random slotsm they are usually finishers and they are played when the deck is already settled, usually with a lot of lands in hand. You may be unlucky though but I did not feel that a regrowth slot was needed in SB.

2/ I know that mox is good, even more with no 1CC slot (only gamble at 1CC). But you're right. Maybe the mongrels are not necessary. I need some more testing.

Willoe
01-07-2008, 01:38 PM
The interaction with Loam and Crusher are extreme, and they are extreme on their own. Countryside Crusher would do so nice in a burn deck if it was a land, artifact or enchantment! :) But it isn't and therefore, regular burn decks doesn't play him. How large is the danger of milling away all good cards into your graveyard with dredge AND crusher? Add a divining top to the mix and you see what's coming so you don't have to dredge away key cards, as there's no way to get back dredged noncreature goods in the deck. Countryside Crusher is the new attendant to RDW :) And it suits good in yours too. In all, the giant's a shitload of a bomb that deserves a spot in nearly every deck that can play him. He makes topdecking for aggro much easier, filters lands away, provides threshold, makes it easier to fetch lands with loam AND he gets so big that it's totally unbelievable :P