PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Bubbling Tide - High Tide + Bubbling Muck

Alfred
10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
The premise behind this deck is that with the printing of the new U/B duals, you can run 8 fetchlands and 8 UB duals, which allows you to run both Bubbling Muck and High Tide. Black also opens up other options as well, such as the use of Tendrils.

Draw (19):
4x Impulse
3x Meditate
4x Brainstorm
4x Skeletal Scrying
4x Serum Visions

Untap Effects (11):
4x Cloud of Faeries
3x Snap
3x Turnabout

Mana Accel (8):
4x Bubbling Muck
4x High Tide

Protection (4):
4x Force of Will

Win (3):
3x Tendrils of Agony

Mana (16):
4x Flooded Strand
4x Polluted Delta
4x Watery Grave
4x Underground Sea

This list is based heavily on Spring Tide, so I would like to thank the designers of that deck. Black not only adds muck, but also it adds the drawing power of Skeletal Scrying, but most importantly, it adds Tendrils, which means that you only have to cast 9 spells in one turn, as opposed to 16.

This list can potentially go off turn 2, which isn't too hard to imagine. In testing, it's been as consistant as Solidarity, but a full turn faster.

t3h.sWaRm
10-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I really like this idea. I do think 4 Skeletal Scrying may be too many though, they virtually take the place of Flash of Insight in Solidarity, so maybe 2 would be the right number? I'm not even sure you need them since you only need 9 spells to win and won't fizzle as much. I also feel that 4 High Tide and 4 Bubbling Muck may be too many. Maybe 3 of each would be fine. This will free up 4 slots, which I would make:
1 Meditate(I love this card!)
3 Cunning Wish(So versatile!)

Now have you thought about a SB for the deck? With the Wishes in the deck, I think these should have a spot:
1 Turnabout
1 Snap
1 Evacuation
1 Echoing Truth(may not be needed actually)
1 Stroke of Genius
And some more that I can't think of right now...

A big problem that will prevent this deck from doing well is that Wasteland > this deck. I kills all you lands, and I can't think of any way of fixing this except by going only one color (see Solidarity or Spring Tide). Another thing about the mana base, how do you do with 16 lands? Solidarity runs 17 lands to ensure they get a land drop every turn, and I imagine you want the same. Do you usually get enough lands with only 16 in the deck?

Ophidian
10-14-2005, 09:47 PM
I really like the idea of the deck, but what about a mono black version that runs duress, night's whisper, infernal contract (maybe? Obv. Subpar, but open to suggestions although a premature tendrils could help with the loss of life)

And of course, although difficult to acquisition, candelabra of tawnos would be amazing in the deck-- plus dark ritual could slide into the deck, and since it's mono color it would not be affected by wasteland, and it's ilk.

Most importantly, no more issues with REB's, Sirrocco's, etc etc etc...and you could run engineered plague's up the wazzoo.

Just another option for this deck which could possibly be a contender.

Phid

Zilla
10-14-2005, 10:11 PM
The main problem with the mono-black concept is that it lacks the draw power of low cc cantrips (Brainstorm, Serum Visions, etc.) AND it lacks the untap abilities (Snap, Turnabout) which make Bubbling Muck abuseable in the first place.

umbowta
10-14-2005, 10:22 PM
F$#@@&* S&%$. I started digging through my commons boxes, looking for Bubbling Muck(s) over a month ago. Way to beat me to the punch, Alfred. I really like how you have eliminated the conditional, decking win, Brainfreeze, and the restrictive untap effect of Reset. Your list is waaaayyy better than what I was doing. I can't wait to get off work and throw this together. Nice job.

Ophidian
10-14-2005, 10:42 PM
@Zilla, if you run whisper, and contract-- and these are just off the top of my head, you get more physical cards in hand than the aforementioned brainstorm and visions.. however, they cost life, and they are more mana intensive. Although the mana cost is offset by tendrils requiring fewer cards to power the storm. Bear in mind that these are just two cards off the top of my head, i'm sure there are better ones.

Not trying to be pugnacious, just brainstorming..

As for the black blue version, what about lim dul's vault? the quintessential set up card could have a place in the deck.

You mention fewer untap effects, snap and turnabout, but you also get ritual, and CANDELABRA.. candelabra would be absolutely insane in the deck. I guess you could also run Lion's Eye Diamond and Spoils.. ( I know, more bad cards) but both are inexpensive, and they feed the storm.

Zilla
10-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Candelabra is a decent suggestion I suppose... but they open you up to hate from Null Rod, Pithing Needle, Suppression Field, Disenchant, Naturalize, etc. etc... Resilience to permanent hate is one of Solidarity's greatest strengths. Then again, Spring Tide variants are open to creature hate due to the necessity of running the Cloud of Faeries/Snap combo, so perhaps this isn't overly relevant.

I'm not saying a mono-black version is totally unworkable; it just appears to have a lot of potential roadblocks to its success. It'd be nice to see a working monocolored variant that doesn't get hit by REB/Sirocco/etc. as you suggested, so it's worth considering.

blacklotus3636
10-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Pardon me if I sound idiotic but I really don't see why you would run this over spring tide. As far as I can tell you seem to have similar if not identical problems spring tide does and your not really any faster or more consistant. Maybe I'm missing a big point here can someone help me out here?

Alfred
10-15-2005, 04:00 AM
The point is is that you ARE faster and more consistant, because you are essentially running 8 High Tides, as well as a win condition that requires less Storm to pull off. I know this deck is more susceptable to non-basic hate, but I want to test it out and see if this is a problem that the deck can overcome. Also, I like some of Teh Swarm's suggestions so:

-2 Scrying
-1 High Tide
+3 Cunning Wish

And put a tide in the board.

scarface
10-15-2005, 01:40 PM
This deck should definitely make room for Ideas Unbound, and I would argue that Sleight of Hand is almost strictly better than Serum Visions in decks not running Predict. Just some thoughts.

Alfred
10-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I disagree with the claim that Serum Visions is worse than Sleight of Hand. Serum Visions is by far the better set up spell because it draws you a card, and then allows you to set up the top two cards of your library. This allows you to manipulate the top 3 cards of your library, wheras Sleight of Hand only allows you to manipulate 2. Seeing as though you will be using Serum Visions in the turns before you go off, it is a better choice to set up your win on turn 3-5.

In goldfishing, this deck is doing quite well, except that I would lke to fit Peer Through Depths into the deck, because in tesing Impulse has been the all-star of the deck.

t3h.sWaRm
10-15-2005, 03:33 PM
I also like the idea of Ideas Unbound(haha...). Any way to fit it in? I wouldn't want to take out a 1cc cantrip, and Impulse is also good. Lim Dul's Vault, however, is VERY good. I forgot to mention it in my previous post but I added it to the deck in lace of impulse and it rules.

I'd still like to see the 4th Meditate MD, but I guess it could go into the board and be pretty effective anyway.

Alfred
10-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Actually, Lim Dul's Vault is a great card! I completely forgot about it, but I would assume that it would be better than Peer Through Depths. Finding a good pocket of cards is worth a few points of life. I will test it.

Koby
10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Impulse adds an important element to a blue based storm deck that Peer Through Depths cannot achieve: managing land drops within the first three turns. Impulse is strictly superior to Peer Through Depths for that reason alone. Perhaps Telling Time would be better? It should definitly be tested out, however with my experience with Solidarity; you want more 1 mana cantrips than 2 mana cantrips.

This is especially important since you run only 16 land. Would it hurt to add 2 more lands?

Here's my modifications to the deck posted by Alfred at the top:

-1 Skeleton Scrying
-2 Bubbling Muck
+1 Meditate
+2 Island

As a draw spell, Meditate is more powerful and cheaper than Skeleton Scrying. In addition, it's really hard to get all the land you need to "go off" with 16, so I added 2 more land, similar to High Tide decks. However, with the increase in non-black mana producing land, and the overall uselessness of having multiple High Tide effects which is agreeable to cut down to 6, I cut 2 Bubbling Muck to allow the most amount of mana production.

The whole Cunning Wish engine just doesn't seem to do much honestly, the only problem that really gets this deck is Arcane Lab/Rule of Law, which clearly you would board in Echoing Truth. In fact I don't see why you wouldn't run that alongside with Snap (aside from the untap effect). You could even run Palinchron for unlimited mana, which is a waste, but eh why not? :D

Ray D 3
10-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Some quick notes to compare this with Spring Tide:

Merchant Scroll-- These tend to work quite nicely as High Tide's 5-8, FoW 5-8, Meditate 5-8, Kill conditions 4-7, Snap/Turnabout 4-7
(Your statement of "I am faster because I run 8 Tides" is pretty much nulled here.)

Ideas Unbound-- 2 Mana draw 3 cards is amazing. Of course, you would have much more trouble using it due to UU.

Cunning Wish-- You won't always need to go off turn 3 remember, and set up cards are good, as are cards that fin you answers, as are kill conditions that double as combo pieces.
(I think somewhere you said you now play wish...)

Tendrils of Agony-- A kill condition that does nothing else. As far as reaching 10 being easier than 17, the chances that you make it up to 10 with 4 mana and can not keep going up to 17 are infinitesimal (of course this depends on your understanding of the deck though).

Skeletal Scrying-- This card is actually quite counterintuitive. Remember, that you are trying to go off at the last possible moment you can to maximize your odds. Keep in mind then that you are often losing life in that time. Now realize that as you wait, your draw engine grows weaker and weaker... I hope you can see how this becomes quite the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Also, it is not terribly powerful to begin with. I'd rather play Brain Geyser to be honest.

Sleight of Hand-- I find this card strictly superior to Impulse for reasons already stated in the "Cards not Included" section of my Spring Tide thread, so I will refer you there.

Basic Island-- Wasteland is omnipresent. Wasteland will completely wreck you. Enough said.

If you wish to claim yourself faster, show me some goldfishing results.

Ridiculous Hat
10-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Some quick notes to compare this with Spring Tide:

Merchant Scroll-- These tend to work quite nicely as High Tide's 5-8, FoW 5-8, Meditate 5-8, Kill conditions 4-7, Snap/Turnabout 4-7
(Your statement of "I am faster because I run 8 Tides" is pretty much nulled here.)

Ideas Unbound-- 2 Mana draw 3 cards is amazing. Of course, you would have much more trouble using it due to UU.

Cunning Wish-- You won't always need to go off turn 3 remember, and set up cards are good, as are cards that fin you answers, as are kill conditions that double as combo pieces.
(I think somewhere you said you now play wish...)

Tendrils of Agony-- A kill condition that does nothing else. As far as reaching 10 being easier than 17, the chances that you make it up to 10 with 4 mana and can not keep going up to 17 are infinitesimal (of course this depends on your understanding of the deck though).

Skeletal Scrying-- This card is actually quite counterintuitive. Remember, that you are trying to go off at the last possible moment you can to maximize your odds. Keep in mind then that you are often losing life in that time. Now realize that as you wait, your draw engine grows weaker and weaker... I hope you can see how this becomes quite the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Also, it is not terribly powerful to begin with. I'd rather play Brain Geyser to be honest.

Sleight of Hand-- I find this card strictly superior to Impulse for reasons already stated in the "Cards not Included" section of my Spring Tide thread, so I will refer you there.

Basic Island-- Wasteland is omnipresent. Wasteland will completely wreck you. Enough said.

If you wish to claim yourself faster, show me some goldfishing results.
Merchant scroll is not a replacement for high tide. High tide would not be nearly as powerful if it cost 1UU, which is what merchant scroll causes it to do.

Getting extra blue mana with this deck is not particularly difficult if you have any amount of untap effects-- in the relatively limited goldfishing that I have done, typically you go off with two or three "tides" and have a wealth of mana floating.

I understand that spring tide is probably going to be more consistent, but it's not too hard with the cloud/snap engine to get 9 spells and then tendrils where it would be significantly harder to win turn 3 with a brain freeze. An extra 7 spells is rather difficult to conjure up out of nowhere. I personally have replaced scrying with ideas unbound directly in my goldfish testing and it has been quite good.

Zilla
10-15-2005, 07:12 PM
@RayD3:

It seems to me that your core argument is: "even though your deck is at least half a turn faster, it's more vulnerable and therefore inferior". By that rationale, this deck is as much worse than Spring Tide as Spring Tide is than Solidarity. Spring Tide opens itself up to creature hate, as well as the inability to go off in response to certain other hate cards, for the benefit of being roughly half a turn faster than Solidarity. Bubbling Tide opens itself up to non-basic hate for essentially the same benefit over Spring Tide.

In short, if this deck is strictly worse than Spring Tide, then Spring Tide is strictly worse than Solidarity.

Ray D 3
10-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Actually I am implying that the deck is NOT faster than Spring Tide, in addition to being more dissruptable. Also, take into consideration the effect the disruption has. Creature removal causes less disruption than a wasteland.

Also, Spring Tide is a FULL TURN faster, not half a turn, than Solidarity. Solidarity is 4.5; Spring Tide is 3.5

As far as Scroll functioning as a Tide, it is not a 1UU Tide. You spend the second/third/whatever turn setting up, and on turn 3/whenever it still costs the same U it always did. I would even say that I would be much more willing to make that investment when the mana I would get in return is blue not black. In other words, Scroll imo makes a better tide than Muck does. Also, I have found a full 8 Tides to be quite intensive on the mana side of things while going off. The fact that Scroll can grab draw spells balances that out.

On another note, increasing the number of Tide's is not going to increase the speed as much as you think. Getting Faerie+Snap is what makes a great deal of turn 3 wins and ALL turn 2 wins. Scroll finds Snap; Muck does not. In my testing, 4 Tides/4 Scrolls rarely left me without a tide on turn 3.

Also, I did a little experimenting when someone brought up splashing black for tendrils. Out of 50 games where I succesfully got off the ground turn 3, there were 2 times when I reached a count of 9 with 4 mana and couldn't get my way up to 17. I hardly think that justifies running a pure win condition that cant be tutored for and will clutter draws when played in high numbers.

Edited By Ray D 3 on 1129425885

Alfred
10-15-2005, 07:54 PM

What an odd statement! I run 16 Blue Sources, you run 16 Blue sources, I have been running 4 High Tides, and so have you, please clarify why you think that UU is going to be trouble for my mana base, and for some reason not yours.

Why do all of the Vintage storm decks that have access to both blue and black choose Tendrils of Agony over Brainfreeze? Because it is much, much easier to get to 9 spells and 4 mana than 17 spells and 2 mana. Requiring almost twice the storm of Tendrils makes it much more probable that you will fizzle. Also, about having no use, Tendrils of Agony can keep you alive against faster aggro decks and burn so I fail to see how it's "useless".

Also, in regards to costing 4, if you aren't even running brainfreeze maindeck, that means your wishing for it, which means it cost 5 mana, not two. This means that not only are you spending more in mana for your win, you have to play MORE spells, which means that brainfreeze is a terrible win condition. Just think about Vintage, and when the decks there have the opportunity, they run Tendrils.

Ray D 3
10-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I did a little experimenting when someone brought up splashing black for tendrils. Out of 50 games where I succesfully got off the ground turn 3, there were 2 times when I reached a count of 9 with 4 mana and couldn't get my way up to 17. I hardly think that justifies running a pure win condition that cant be tutored for and will clutter draws when played in high numbers.
The results speak for themselves...and they say that even if I could magically pull Tendrils out of nowhere, it would have made the difference in 2/50 times.

As far as Ideas goes, you will find yourself going off with no tides, only mucks a fair percntage of the time. In this case, UU will not be terribly easy to produce in the early stages of going off, where it counts. Forgive my use of the word "much" it was not what I meant.

In respect to casting Tendrils to stay alive, unless you severely hinder your hand, it will not be terribly likely to be cast with anything more than a single copy no sooner than turn 4. If you are referring to going off halfway to get some life then go off later, I would give you that much, but I would not say this would work only on extremely rare occasion due to the side effects of your draw cards, and the amount of hand crippling you would do in the process.

Edited By Ray D 3 on 1129425956

PunkRocker1134
10-15-2005, 08:21 PM
With Black comes more Sideboard options and Mainboard options. You can run hand Disruption in Duress, Cabal Therapy, Unmask and Hymn to Tourach. You can also run creature removal like Infest, Smother and the such. Also Death Wish coems to mind from Black. Also the Storm count needing to be less was mentioned. All these are the benefits to black. I think these cancel out the Disadvantages of the splash like being Open to Wasteland. Just my thoughts though.

--PunkRocker

Alfred
10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
What I'm saying is that if you fizzle, and still manage to get off a Tendrils, it isn't half as useless as fizzling, and getting off a Brainfreeze. Also, when you only have to get up to 9 spells before a Tendrils, it becomes a lot harder to fizzle.

colsmack
10-15-2005, 08:27 PM
A monoblack bubbling build seems to be very different from the initial deck, as it wouldn't untap its lands and keep going, more like monoblack tendrils. If you want to go that route, Rain of Filth could be solid.

Ray D 3
10-15-2005, 08:31 PM
What I'm saying is that if you fizzle, and still manage to get off a Tendrils, it isn't half as useless as fizzling, and getting off a Brainfreeze. Also, when you only have to get up to 9 spells before a Tendrils, it becomes a lot harder to fizzle.
I am saying that, the games you will lose due to drawing win conditions that do nothing else will be greater than those you will win because you could only storm up to 9 or because you had to go off twice and needed the life boost to win.

Btw, Duress is a strong choice.

Edited By Ray D 3 on 1129423796

Alfred
10-15-2005, 08:35 PM
You can look at it that way, or you can look at the fact that if you run maindeck win conditions, it means that you don't have spend any extra mana and turns searching for it. I would much prefer running a 9 storm 4 mana win condition than running a 5 mana 17 storm win condition like your deck.

Ray D 3
10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Wishes can keep me going in a pinch, act as set up cards/protection/bounce, and cost a mere 1 mana more to win with. I don't spend any extra turns looking for my win condition.

If you need a cheap win condition, you could easily run 1-2 freezes anyway. I just found them unnecessary in testing.

Like I said, 4% of the time it made a difference when I could pull them from the air. I assure you this would be even lower if I had to draw them, and I certainly feel the dead draws would more than outweigh this.

Edited By Ray D 3 on 1129423674

Alfred
10-15-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm running 3 Cunning Wishes, which means that I can put 1 Brainfreeze in the Sideboard. Tendrils maindeck has been very good in testing, mainly because when you need to get to 9 spells instead of 17, Cunning Wish can be used to find draw and search spells instead of having to look for your win condition.

Ray D 3
10-15-2005, 08:54 PM
You are still playing them over other draw/search/untap effects, and I am more than confidant that the extra draw/mana will surpass this 4% (remember that is an overestimation) by a significant amount.

Edited By Ray D 3 on 1129424666

Ophidian
10-15-2005, 09:47 PM
@ Colsmack

Candleabra of Tawnos.
Casting Cost 1
X, Tap: Untap X Target Lands.

That being said, I like Rain of Filth.

colsmack
10-16-2005, 03:29 PM
I forgot that you were using Candelabra. It seems that blue is being discussed in the deck anyway though.

Artowis
10-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Other than the Tendrils argument being completely fucking pointless...

I have a few questions about the deck.

1. What's the point of Cunning Wish in the deck?
C. Wish into Turnabout is pretty terrible.
Using it to fetch High Tide seems slow on a scale pretty much unheard of for a deck using entirely non-basics.
Fetching answers to hate: see fetching High Tide.

2. How much does Wasteland hurt?
Just by the looks of it, it seems pretty crippling, but I reserve judgment as I haven't played this build.

Tis all for now.

outsideangel
10-18-2005, 02:52 AM
@Artowis- Running Cunning Wish means that you can run your win conditions in your sideboard, along with a draw spell or two, a bounce spell, and possibly an untap effect to wish for. It's better to be able to turn a Wish into a draw spell if you don't have enough storm to win, or to get a kill card if you do, than to end up drawing your Brainfreeze when you really, really needed to draw some more cards to keep going. It also gives you an out vs. Chalice, Meddling Mage, and Arcane Lab / Rule of Law, all of which can mean gg.

In this build, I'd probably run 1 Skeletal Scrying, 1 Brainfreeze, 1 Echoing Truth, 1 Chain of Vapor, and 1 Fact or Fiction / Three Wishes in the board to wish for, plus possible a Rain of Filth.

TsumiBand
10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
With Wishes and maindeck Brain Freezes the storm count vs. storm count thing becomes less relevant. If I draw two ways of finding Brain Freeze I don't need to get up to 17, I need to get up to like 7. It costs 2UU to do this, much like a single Tendrils; another reason to play Freeze is the ease of casting more than one in a turn, whereas it would take 4BBBB to do that with Tendrils. I ought to be able to find that second means via Scroll/Brainstorm/just drawing it/Wish/Serum Visions, so why talk about adding Black? Running another set of High Tides is great, but who cares if I get incredibly Wastelanded? Who wants to worrying about countering B2B or Blood Moon? Why open up to all the hate?

Artowis
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
@Artowis- Running Cunning Wish means that you can run your win conditions in your sideboard, along with a draw spell or two, a bounce spell, and possibly an untap effect to wish for. It's better to be able to turn a Wish into a draw spell if you don't have enough storm to win, or to get a kill card if you do, than to end up drawing your Brainfreeze when you really, really needed to draw some more cards to keep going. It also gives you an out vs. Chalice, Meddling Mage, and Arcane Lab / Rule of Law, all of which can mean gg.

In this build, I'd probably run 1 Skeletal Scrying, 1 Brainfreeze, 1 Echoing Truth, 1 Chain of Vapor, and 1 Fact or Fiction / Three Wishes in the board to wish for, plus possible a Rain of Filth.
See you haven't really answered my question, because doing any of that is ass slow. You're opening yourself up to massive amounts of hate, so you have to be faster than High Tide to make up for it.

Cunning Wish doesn't actually help with that. In fact it seems like a waste of a turn.

Bryant Cook
10-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Alright I've been testing this deck for a few days, and I have gotten rid of most of the draw engine and replaced it with the predict engine. These are my reasons, predict fills up the yard for skeletal scrying also helps while comboing to get rid of that extra land in your hand with brainstorm. My current draw engine looks like

3x Skeletal Scrying
4x Predict
4x Brainstorm
4x serum visions
4x telling time

I've found this deck to be turn 3 consistant but I would like 1 or 2 more lands in the deck 16 seems too few, for a combo deck.

t3h.sWaRm
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
I still don't like 3 Skeletal Scrying. You dont really need them until you start comboing and even then you want to have a pretty big yard. 2 seems like the right number. Also, taking one out would make room for another land.

Alfred
10-22-2005, 11:52 PM
See you haven't really answered my question,because doing any of that is ass slow. You're opening yourself up to massive amounts of hate, so you have to be faster than High Tide to make up for it.

Cunning Wish doesn't actually help with that. In fact it seems like a waste of a turn.

This is 100% correct. In testing, Cunning Wish never seems to help out a turn 3 win, which is something that this deck should be aiming for every game.

3x Skeletal Scrying
4x Predict
4x Brainstorm
4x serum visions
4x telling time

This looks really interesting actually. If you take out Cunning Wish, it allows you to run more 1CC draw spells, which really helps out the turn 3 wins. Take out 3 C. Wishes and add 3 Sleight of Hand. These are great cantrips.

Alfred
10-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Hello and sorry for the double post, but after a ton of goldfishing, I have found what I believe to be is the best list. I tried out the predict engine, which wasn't that great. Impulse is almost always better than predict as a 2 mana draw spell.

Also, after a bit of testing against some of the decks of the format, I've found that Snap is absolute trash. It's really only good when Cloud of Faeries is in the board, and even then, I hate the fact that my combo can be disrupted by a StP or a simple Mogg Fanatic. I just raised my amount of Turnabouts to 4 and never looked back. With 8 tides in the deck Turnabout is a lot better than it was in Spring Tide, and 8 untap effects have been plenty for me. Here is the newest incarnation of the deck:

Draw (21):
4x Meditate
4x Brainstorm
4x Serum Visions
4x Sleight of Hand
4x Impulse
1x Skeletal Scrying

Tide effects (8):
4x High Tide
4x Bubbling Muck

Untap Effects (8):
4x Turnabout
4x Cloud of Faeries

Protection (4):
4x Force of Will

Win (3):
3x Tendrils of Agony

Land (16):
4x Polluted Delta
4x Flooded Strand
4x Underground Sea
4x Watery Grave

About the newest list, as you can see, there are 12 1CC cantrips, which are great for setting up turn 3 wins. Cheap Cantrips also mean that you can build your storm count more easily while searching for untap effects, and your win condition. 4 Meditates means that once you start to combo off, you have enough steam to finish the game.

This has been gorldfishing at around 3-3.5 turns, which is probably the fastest that I have seen in this format. Try this list out, and play a few hands with it, you'll soon develop a good sense of how the deck works, and which hands to mulligan.

Michael Keller
04-24-2008, 09:08 AM
One card that deserves special consideration in mono-black Storm-based decks I personally think is Death Wish (http://findmagiccards.com/Cards/JU/Death_Wish.html). You would run four draw-fours as well. Paying half your life should be irrelevant, for the most part.

EDIT: You could run Grim Tutor - if you can find a set.

Cavius The Great
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello and sorry for the double post, but after a ton of goldfishing, I have found what I believe to be is the best list. I tried out the predict engine, which wasn't that great. Impulse is almost always better than predict as a 2 mana draw spell.

Also, after a bit of testing against some of the decks of the format, I've found that Snap is absolute trash. It's really only good when Cloud of Faeries is in the board, and even then, I hate the fact that my combo can be disrupted by a StP or a simple Mogg Fanatic. I just raised my amount of Turnabouts to 4 and never looked back. With 8 tides in the deck Turnabout is a lot better than it was in Spring Tide, and 8 untap effects have been plenty for me. Here is the newest incarnation of the deck:

Draw (21):
4x Meditate
4x Brainstorm
4x Serum Visions
4x Sleight of Hand
4x Impulse
1x Skeletal Scrying

Tide effects (8):
4x High Tide
4x Bubbling Muck

Untap Effects (8):
4x Turnabout
4x Cloud of Faeries

Protection (4):
4x Force of Will

Win (3):
3x Tendrils of Agony

Land (16):
4x Polluted Delta
4x Flooded Strand
4x Underground Sea
4x Watery Grave

About the newest list, as you can see, there are 12 1CC cantrips, which are great for setting up turn 3 wins. Cheap Cantrips also mean that you can build your storm count more easily while searching for untap effects, and your win condition. 4 Meditates means that once you start to combo off, you have enough steam to finish the game.

This has been gorldfishing at around 3-3.5 turns, which is probably the fastest that I have seen in this format. Try this list out, and play a few hands with it, you'll soon develop a good sense of how the deck works, and which hands to mulligan.

Do you think that Candelabra of Tawnos would be better than Turnabout? Or do you need that extra card to pitch to FoW?

Bovinious
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Holy 2.5 year necro...Ponder probably belongs in this deck :wink:

Cavius The Great
04-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Holy 2.5 year necro...Ponder probably belongs in this deck :wink:

I didn't necro it, Hollywood did. :wink:

@A Legend - I don't think Infernal Contract/Cruel bargain would work well since you're also running High Tide. Maybe 2-3 might work, but it definitely deserves testing.