PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Legacy Kithkin

SuckerPunch
01-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Anyone else feel that Kithkin (as well as Elves) could be semiviable archeatypes in legacy.

I certainly think they can. They're printing a ton of good Kithkin in this block, trying to singlehandedly create the best variant of white weenie to ever exist, and make it good enough to prove that white is a great color for aggro strategies.

Here is a sample list using exclusively Lorywn cards...

Creature
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
4 Wizened Cenn
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Cenn's Heir
2 Mirror Entity

Utility
4 Militia's Pride
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Surge of Thoughtweft
4 Crib Swap

Land
20 Plains
2 Windbrisk Heights

I built the above deck for Block and it wound up doing decent against legacy decks! :eek:

After squeezing in all the solid Kithkin in morningtide, white staples like Swords to Plowshares and/or possibly Parralax Wave, I think we have the makings of a semi-viable strategy.

Maveric78f
01-11-2008, 07:32 AM
After squeezing in all the solid Kithkin in morningtide, white staples like Swords to Plowshares and/or possibly Parralax Wave, I think we have the makings of a semi-viable strategy.

You mean that you want to play STP, vial, wasteland, teeg and tarmogoyf inside?

technogeek5000
01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Well elves is already a decent deck but its because it has a crystalline creature in eladamri, a elven ringleader, and plenty of broken creatures and lords that kithkin dont have. I would splash green and play teeg and goyf... taking out burge forge tender and crib swap. Play stp in oblivion rings place and also play aether vial in surge of thoughtwefts place. get rid of the crappy windbrisk heights and a number of plains so you can play 4 savannahs and 8 fetches. I want kithkin to work but it just doesnt have the right cards.

nastynate
01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Actually, if you play a kithkin soldier deck you might have something serviceable. It won't be tier one for certain, but it'd be a solid tier two. I've been tinkering around with this for fun mainly, but who knows...maybe it's not too bad. It has a perfect mana curve if nothing else.

Creatures
4 Goldmeadow Harrier (taps dudes)
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart (2/2 for 1)
4 Cenn's Heir (+1/+1 for each attacking kithkin)
4 Ballyrush Bannaret (kithkin/soldier familiar)
4 Enlistment Officer (soldier recruiter, but it's human so it won't pump heir)
4 Preeminent Captain (crappy when compared to lackey, but still good)
3 Mirror Entity (great finisher)

Utility
4 Aether Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Veteran's armaments (free equip costs? can be drawn with enlistment officer? sign me up!)

Land
4 Wasteland
4 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand
4 Scrubland
4 Plains
2 Volrath's Stronghold (or Rishadan Port if you prefer)

Side-Board
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Thoughtseize
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Kinsbale Boarderguard (board sweeper protection)

This would play much like goblins, but without a haste enabler (warchief) or a tutor (matron), which obviously makes the deck slightly worse. Most of your creatures are a smiggen larger than goblin's creatures are though, and with cenn's heir, mirror entity, and veteran's armaments you've got some really ridiculous damage potential, at least on par with goblins.

I didn't bother with Gaddock Teeg (since he isn't a soldier), but a green splash for teeg and krosan grip out of the side-board is certainly a reasonable possibility.

Cavius The Great
01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Anyone else feel that Kithkin (as well as Elves) could be semiviable archeatypes in legacy.

I certainly think they can. They're printing a ton of good Kithkin in this block, trying to singlehandedly create the best variant of white weenie to ever exist, and make it good enough to prove that white is a great color for aggro strategies.

Here is a sample list using exclusively Lorywn cards...

Creature
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
4 Wizened Cenn
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Cenn's Heir
2 Mirror Entity

Utility
4 Militia's Pride
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Surge of Thoughtweft
4 Crib Swap

Land
20 Plains
2 Windbrisk Heights

I built the above deck for Block and it wound up doing decent against legacy decks! :eek:

I think this list needs more equipment. Where's the Jittes and mask of memory? I'd even consider running Wasteland, a lower land count, Chrome Mox, Scroll Rack and Gifts of Estate and Tithe so you can play things like Empyrial Armor on Mr. Meadowgrain. Just a thought.

f|i[p]
01-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Honestly, I think if you are going for a kithkin deck, and to be able to make it viable,you should go take the 5/3 or stompy version of this deck. It would be a kithkin stompy variant.

I think its a good idea specially with the new kithiin lackey that doesnt really need to do combat damage to put another soldier into play. you have the kithkin matron as well. thought of trio perhaps as a 2 of. As I imagine it, you will have a good match up against combo, thresh and some of the likes. maybe landstill even if you get a first turn trinisphere then that kithkin lackey. Sorry I'm not sure about the names of the kithkin creatures.

You also get to have good sideboard, with RUle of law, or armageddons, glowriders.

it means youll have to get these maindeck:

4 ancient tomb
4 city of traitors

4 chalice
4 trinisphere
3-5 equimpent
maybe 3 armageddons

I think this is a very good skeleton, but only testing would prove this.Think goblins and 5/3. Mix them together and lets see what you can come up with

Mix and match as most good kithkins are 3-5 casting cost anyway.

TestMonkey
01-13-2008, 05:37 AM
This idea has been kicked around before.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7620

I don't think it's even remotely viable at the moment but with 2 more expansions of Lorwyn to go, kithkin might get the cards needed to go the distance. The decks biggest problem is that it can't really get going in an environment so full of creature removal.