1 Wonder

Sideboard:

1 Wonder
3 Flame-Tongue Kavu
4 Price of Progress
4 Stifle
1 Gigapede
3 Krosan Grip

Matchups: I'll just give some general statements since much of my weekly tournament is pretty random.

Control Decks (Landstill ect.): Game is about simply playing guys and beating face, using counters to stop WOG, DEED ect. Game two and three you get to bring in Price of Progress and Gigapede, both of which are awesome against them.

Aggro Decks (Zoo, G/R Sligh ect): Genesis and Wonder really shine here, Plus you have maindeck clasms and counters to stop their goyfs and other big creatures.

Combo: Can be a difficult matchup, you aren't splashing white so you don't have access to the really good combo hate (mage, teeg) but there are plenty of cheap counters and fast beats so it isn't unwinnable. Sideboarding should put in stifle over the intuition toolbox and remove clasm for krosan grip or price of progress whichever is more useful ,unless of course if they have empty the warrens.

Threshold: Same strategy as aggro decks, but you have to watch out for counters and wonder is especially important in this matchup to deal with their large flyer be it enforcer or dragon. Also counterbalance destroys this deck so try to not let it resolve. Krosan grip should usually be sided in as well as an additional wonder, siding out the clasms because they are pretty useless.

edgewalker
01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
We should play this over Ugr threshold because? I don't want come off as a dick, I'm simply trying to play devils advocate.

Mental
01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
We should play this over Ugr threshold because? I don't want come off as a dick, I'm simply trying to play devils advocate.

It looks a lost faster. Also, Genesis gives it more resiliency to rock like strategies.

Shtriga
01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
looks like mostly UGR threshold with a tarmotog intuition engine splashed. I'm intrigued as I liked that aspect of tarmotog, but is it better than regular thresh?

Shriekmaw
01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
looks like mostly UGR threshold with a tarmotog intuition engine splashed. I'm intrigued as I liked that aspect of tarmotog, but is it better than regular thresh?

This deck looks like a bad version of UGr Threshold. Honestly, I can't think of one thing that this deck does better than Threshold.

If you want to play madness then play madness.

I don't like how people put Goyf in a deck and just rename the deck for one card in it. Get a little more creative people.

Maverick676
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I play this deck over UGR threshold, because it runs a better countermagic suite. It can play an aggro role alot better because all of your creatures are big regardless of whether or not you have threshold. Also you have reccurring creatures via genesis and they also fly thanks to wonder. However this deck more closely resembles madness than threshold. Circular logic is the only madness card, however discard outlets are needed in order to get genesis into the graveyard. If goyf did not exist it would probably be arrogant wurm instead, but goyf is just better.

As far as the name goes, I call it UGR goyf midrange because that is what the deck is. If you have any complaints feel free to come up with a better name.

Brushwagg
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I kinda like it, but then again I do love Madness. What I would like to see is maybe some better uses for the outlets, but not totally rely on them like Madness. Example would be Basking Rootwalla. Cost 1 to cast, free with madness.

I'm not sure on the 4x Pyroclasm though. Is that for Goblins?

Finally I think the weakest card in the deck right now is Aquameoba, but damn it they haven't printed anything better yet.

Maverick676
01-14-2008, 07:39 AM
4 Pyroclasm is mainly for goblins yes, I also find it useful against randomness one might encounter such as black discard or elves. Also its good against Empty the Warrens. As far as rootwalla, I really dont like him in this deck. He dies to pyroclasm and is too mana intensive. Aquameoba is a necessary evil as nothing better has been printed, although its not a horrible card in its own right.

Maveric78f
01-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Why 22 lands, with no utility and your curve, except for intuition tops at 2.

Shtriga
01-14-2008, 08:06 AM
the main problem that comes from drifting from the staple madness model is this:

cut madness cards, and there's no reason to play the outlets (as there are better creatures)
cut the outlets, and you can't abuse the madness cards

since the deck doesn't have a lot of madness cards, you will have to be discarding business cards (or in best case scenario, some excess land) to pump your moebas and mongrels. and moebas, as said, aren't all that impressive and neither is mongrel without a way to abuse it (but they're still nice).

I still think the deck is a nice change from typical thresh/madness lists, but it needs some tuning

for starters, I'd cut 2 lands and add +1 intuition and +1 daze. and I think I'd take the moebas out for mongooses/werebears. because, with incarnations as 1-ofs, you will be relying on intuition mostly to bury them, so no need for as many discard outlets (or maybe keep 1 moeba as the 5th mongrel). although, both unthreshed mongoose and werebear die to your pyros

Maverick676
01-15-2008, 04:11 AM
I play 22 lands in order to support the genesis engine, and also to make sure I can cast gigapede in the matches I need to.

Werebear and mongeese are not very good in this deck, as it only has 4 cantrips and does not get threshold quickly at all. I suppose one way to get rid of aquameoba might be to maindeck gigapede and play two other utility creatures.

There actually should be 3 intuitions in the deck, theres an extra island in the list. I'll fix it.

Mister Agent
01-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I personally think if you really want to play goyfs, wonder, and genesis in the same deck then I would choose "not quite survival" deck created by clemens over this. His deck just does everything that this deck can do except much more efficiently.

Maverick676
01-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Actually this deck is more efficient, survival is mana intensive and vunerable to needle. Intuition is neither of those.

zulander
01-17-2008, 11:01 AM
survival is mana intensive and vunerable to needle
Wild Mongrel and Aquamoeba are not? I used to play something very similar, it was ug madness. Here's the list:

Creatures: 19
4 Rootwalla
4 Mongrel
4 Goyf
3 A. Wurm
3 Moeba
1 Wonder

Disruption: 10
4 Force
3 Circular Logic
3 Daze/stifle/cs

Draw: 9
4 Brainstorm
3 Intuition
2 Deep Analysis

Mana: 22
4 Chrome Mox
2 Delta
2 Strand
2 wooded foothills
2 windswept heath
4 Trop
3 Island
3 Forest

The plan was to get goyf + wurm/other beats on the board, then intuition for wonder and win. Goyfs are good, flying goyfs are much much better.

Thehunter820
01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
This deck isnt too bad, a few things you could take out for better substitutes though, rather than than the Aquamoeba and Circular Logic countering, just run Counterbalance, I would also take out the Wild Mongrel and Intuition for some cantrips, and you could probly do better with creatures than genesis and wonder something like Quirion Dryad or even Nimble Moongoose could do a fair bit of damage.

Mister Agent
01-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Actually this deck is more efficient, survival is mana intensive and vunerable to needle. Intuition is neither of those.

Well Clemens runs krosan grips and trygon predator for some good reasons. I also disagree about intuition being more efficient then survival in this archetype. Mainly because survival is much more flexible considering survival costs less and it is reusable on it's own. Besides you can pump out madness creatures like nobodies business with survival of the fittest as well.

Media314r8
01-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Finally I think the weakest card in the deck right now is Aquameoba, but damn it they haven't printed anything better yet.

Gathan Raiders Anyone? The deck seems like it'd be able to empty it's hand relatively fast, and raiders get by deed while beating face in a hurry while hellbent (and posibly flying) I also like rootwalla, and I think with both raiders and rootwalla, you could probably cut the clasms due to your higher creature count.

Maverick676
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Is gathan raiders even playable in legacy? This deck doesn't get helbent very often, and having to pay 3 for a creature is just terrible.

zulander
01-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Is gathan raiders even playable in legacy? This deck doesn't get helbent very often, and having to pay 3 for a creature is just terrible.
I believe it's used in dragonstompy and other 5/3 variants.

Nihil Credo
01-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Regardless, hellbent is a sworn enemy of countermagic. Unless it's Null Brooch, I guess.