PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Aggro/Combo Elves

zander1
01-19-2008, 12:08 PM
I always liked playing elves. I started with Glimpse elves, but if you don't draw Glimpse or topdeck it lategame, it's almost useless. The opponent also can attack the creatures or the combo, which isn't very good too. then I played Nihil's Discard elves with eladamri and the Wirewood Herald/ Cabal Therapy combo, which worked very well. But after the new wording of eladamri I didn't see a reason why he should be better than wirewood symbiote. So I came back to my previous elves, but I didn't want to loose the "control" of the discard elves or the fast synergies of my Glimpse elves. Then I became the idea of adding Goblin Bobardment. It's a quite good combo win condition and helps the aggro MU with giving all my creatures mogg fanatic's abbility too. It's also an good sacc- engine for my heralds, with which I can search the mana elves I need, strong beaters like Wren's Run Packmaster or Imperious Perfect, Sylvan messenger to get more elves or caller of the claws to sacc all my elves and then the bear tokens ftw!!!

So here's my list:

Lands(12):
4x Gaea's Cradle
4x wooded Foothills
2x Taiga
2x Forest

I play elves, so Gaea's Cradle comes in. It's even more effective with the tokens this deck can produce. The Forest count is a bit low, but it's necessary to keep the amount of elves high and usually 8 "Forests" reach for Quirion Ranger.

Mana elves(20):
4x Elvish Spirit Guide
4x Priest of Titania
4x Heritage Druid (morningtide)
4x Birchlore Rangers
4x Quirion Rangers

The Spirits are additional mana producers. Because of their elf type they are tutorable by the Heralds and I get them with the Messenger. Priest of Titania is an auto- include dor this deck. I decided playing the Heritage Druids and the Birchlore Rangers over the 8 Llanowar elves, because with them the whole deck is much more faster. Making all elves to "haste Llanowars" is just too good not to run. The Birchlore Rangers are an additional source for the red mana for goblin Bombardment. Quirion Ranger untaps Priest or Perfect and you can play and tap the forest an additional time.

Combo(16):
4x Goblin Bombardment
4x Wirewood Herald
4x Wirewood Hivemaster
4x Sylvan Messenger

The combo. In the best case you play everything you can and then you sacc herald for a caller of the claws and your other creatures. Then play caller and win.
With the Hivemaster you get a lot of tokens to sacc and Cradle gives you more mana.

Beaters(6):
4x Imperious Perfect
2x Wren's Run Packmaster

If you play against an aggro deck you usually search one of these guys. They make your elves big or produce a bunch of tokens.

Protection/ Combo/ Mana(6):
4x Wirewood Symbiote
2x Caller of the Claws

Wirewood bounces your creatures, brings Messenger back to your hand and untaps priest. If your opponent plays control, always keep three mana open to be able to cast Caller of the Claws.

SB:
4x Thorn of Amethyst
4x Essence Warden
4x Viridian Zealot
3x Krosan Grip

The Thorns come in against any sorts of combo decks, essence warden makes burn players cry, viridian zealot and krosan grip are against jitte & co.

It wins at an average turn 3-4 and is also very as an aggro deck.

man, i wish there would exist a goblin sledder for elves.

What do you guys think about this deck???

insertnamehere
01-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I do not see how this works as a combo deck.

zander1
01-20-2008, 05:30 PM
I do not see how this works as a combo deck.

A bunch of tokens and Goblin Bombardment???

edgewalker
01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
It's not so much of a combo, as just a win more card that uses these tokens. If you have so many tokens, why not just attack? Or better yet, instead of playing bombardment play Tribal Forcemage and swing for even more.

zander1
01-21-2008, 04:18 AM
It's not so much of a combo, as just a win more card that uses these tokens. If you have so many tokens, why not just attack? Or better yet, instead of playing bombardment play Tribal Forcemage and swing for even more.

Because usually I'm tapped out with my Birchlore Rangers or Heritage Druids and most of the tokens only come into play turn 3, when I combo-off with priest/ Hivemaster/ wirewood symbiote/ Messenger/ Herald/ Caller of the Claws. Most of the time I'd have to wait a turn to attack turn 4. Another advantage is, that with Goblin Bombardment you have a small control effect, being able to shoot 2-3 damage on Confidants, Warchiefs,...
Since almost every deck in Legacy has little control effects, elves usually haven't. With adding Goblin Bombardment, you can play more elves than with Glimpse, Crop rotation and Grapeshot and you have a far better aggro deck by searching with Herald Perfect or Packmaster and protecting your elves with Caller of the Claws against mass removal.
Having 5 "mogg Fanatics" turn 2 or 30 turn 3 isn't that bad.

rufus
01-21-2008, 09:07 AM
You'd probably be much better off with an elf or creature based win condition.

You need disruption - discard, tax, or counters or you'll get slaughtered by true combo decks.

Have you considered summoner's pact?

zander1
01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
@rufus

The creature based win condition is searching with Wirewood Herald Wren's Run Packmaster and put turn 3 a ton of Tpkens into play. But this means a turn 4 kill. With Bombardment I'm a turn faster and more "controlish", with being able to kill the opponent's creatures.

For the disruption: I have a far better Goblin MU without it. I don't know if it would be better against control decks. Against combo decks I have 4 Thorn of Amethysts in the SB and I'll probably put 4 additional cards against combo into it.

I have already seen summoner's pact but didn't play it because of the messengers. Playing the creature you want most for free, doesn't seem bad to me. Maybe I'll make some testing with it.

insertnamehere
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM
I know the deck focus' around making tons of tokens and saccing them to the Bombardment. What about running skyshroud elves (it costs :g::1: and you can pump mana into it to produce :w: or :r: which could open the deck to other options. Also try running the new card Cream of the Crop in addition to Sylvan Messanger to go through your deck faster.

zander1
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
@insertnamehere
I don't think that the skyshroud elves would fit in the deck, because i think that the Heritage Druids and the Birchlore Rangers are far better mana options, since they turn my elves into "haste" Llanowar or half Llanowar elves.
But Cream of the Crop seems really interesting. It would make me draw THE perfect card turn 3-4 and when the messenger hits the table. I'll think about it.