PDA

View Full Version : old red/green deck, viable for update?

Djenin
01-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone,

While looking through my old cards I stumbled across the remains of my old red/green deck. With a local tournament coming up in a few weeks I was thinking if this deck could be made viable for the legacy tournament environment. While I won`t be facing top tier decks, I`d still like to play a deck that`s really solid and viable for the format.

This deck used to be quite competitive with a fair amount of explosive plays and even a rare turn 1 kill, although only possible with a "nuts" draw (Ball Lightning, Bloodlust, Berserk, Lotus, Mox, Land, Tinder Wall).

As I look at it now though, it seems to me that by today`s standards the deck might be too slow/not strong enough to be competitive. This feeling only reinforced by reading more and more of the "decks to beat" threads. The idea of combo decks regularly winning games on turn one is still a bit alien to me. :)

This got me wondering if the shell is still viable enough to warrant an update. So I came here since it seems like the best place for honest critique on decks for this format. The deck used to be type 1, or vintage as its called today, but I`ve grown to really enjoy the legacy format so I`d like to stick with it.

here`s the old deck list:

Mana:

4x Taiga
1x Mox Ruby
1x Mox Emerald
1x Black Lotus
4x Tinder Wall
basics

Creatures:

4x Ball Lightning
4x Kird Ape
4x Juggernaut
4x Elvish Archers

Landkill:

4x Strip Mine
2x Stone Rain
2x Ice Storm

Other:

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Giant Growth
4x Blood Lust
1x Berserk
1x Wheel of Fortune

I realize that Strip Mine, Wheel, Moxes etc are banned but I included them in the list to give an accurate idea of what the deck consisted of. I`m not entirely sure about the amount of landkill that was in there but it`s close enough I think.

Cards I`m looking at including, in no particular order, are:

Rancor
Tarmogoyf
Balduvian Horde
Spark Elemental
Orcish Lumberjack
Birds of Paradise
Sword of Fire and Ice
Blood Knight
Gazhban Ogre
Chain Lightning
Incinerate
Groundbreaker (although it seems that it will be a choice of going for red or green as a main colour)
Threaten
Relentless Assault
Mogg Fanatic
Browbeat
Harmonize
Fetchlands
Wasteland
Mossfire Valley

I also saw a potential replacement for Giant Growth; +2/+2 to target creature or +4/+4 if the spell was played in the main phase, but I can`t seem to remember the name at the moment. :(

Also, a new means of mana acceleration is needed since the power cards are obviously not an option. I`ve considered Mox Diamond, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox etc but some advice on this would be great. And some draw wouldn`t hurt either.

I`m open to all kinds of suggestions; go mono -red or -green, drop the idea altogether and go for another more established shell... As it is now, I`m still catching up on all the new cards released since I last played (back then the newest expansion was ice-age). So please excuse the ignorance if this is a stupid idea to begin with.

Maveric78f
01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
See banned lists and remove all the broken cards of your lists.

Edit : Sorry, as soon as I see banned cards (moreover in such a number), I don't even read. Maybe I should not post neither if I did not read.

Djenin
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
I realize that Strip Mine, Wheel, Moxes etc are banned but I included them in the list to give an accurate idea of what the deck consisted of.

With this I meant that I only included the banned/broken cards on the list to show how the old deck functioned, I obviously won`t be playing them in this format, I don`t even own them anymore. The reason I sold them in the first place is because I think they are too overpowered to play with. :wink:

kicks_422
01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I think the closest thing in Legacy for this would be Goyf Sligh. You might want to check that thread out, it's in the Established Decks forum. It doesn't run any LD though...

Djenin
01-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Aha, many thanks. At a first glance it does look quite similar to what I had in mind. I will check the thread out thoroughly so I can get a feel for which direction I want to head in with this deck.

I feel like a complete newbie again, not knowing the established shells (and their names). Looks like I still have quite the amount of reading to do before I can consider myself current again.

cheers

Maveric78f
01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Yes I did that coming back 3 years ago and it took me several months, or even 1 year to reach a correct level. But you have a good point compared to me. You are on the right site.

Curby
01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
If you have more Berserks, you might consider monogreen Zerker Stompy with Berserk, Invigorate, and Kavu Predator. Other RG builds include Zilla's Stompy (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3132). Going mono-red gives Dragon Stompy.

Random Note: Troll Ascetic and Silhana Ledgewalker help prevent x-for-1 plays by the opponent when you pump your creatures, but they're not very efficient at 3/2 for 3 and 1/1 for 2.