PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Ramirez DePietro

vanele
01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Pretty much the coolest pirate in magic and almost as good as Tarmogoyf. Much cooler than calling it U/B evoke or something stupid like that. Deck has an amazingly fun concept.

// Lands
4 [B] Swamp (2)
5 [IA] Island (2)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 [A] Underground Sea
3 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
2 [LRW] Mournwhelk
4 [MOR] Nevermaker
// Spells
3 [MI] Shallow Grave
4 [FNM] Cabal Therapy
3 [EX] Recurring Nightmare
4 [SH] Mask of the Mimic
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [OD] Careful Study

As you can see the deck list isn't the most refined piece of work ever, but it still has a positive match up verses dragon stompy in this form. :D

//Card Choices
1. Heart and soul of the deck
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
3 [EX] Recurring Nightmare
4 [SH] Mask of the Mimic

Taking advantage of the card advantage provided by these evoke creatures is actually somewhat of a viable strategy. Their cheap evoke costs combined with these other 2 cards make devastating impacts. The only thing I'm not sure of is the exact numbers on the nightmares.

2. Cards I'm none to sure about

3 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold - Not sure about number, and also seems like a mana sink at times costing 2BB for a maw and 3UU for an extra card with drifter.

3 [MI] Shallow Grave - allows for potentially broken plays with nightmare or Cabal therapy or mask of the mimic, but I'm unsure if it seems like win more seeing as potentially it takes at least 2 other cards to work properly.

4 [OD] Careful Study - Originally placed in for therapy dumping and for shallow grave recursion. Not too positive if its worth the card disadvantage.

2 [LRW] Mournwhelk - Technically a slower drifter in terms of card advantage, though in almost all situations worse than drifter. included as a two of for filling space really, as its effect rarely matters.

4 [MOR] Nevermaker This guy could be a game sealer with recurring nightmare, technically can work as a time walk against certain decks though i am none too sure if i like this guy. Æthersnipe seems like he would be a better fit in this slot but the 1UU may prove too much a hurdle.

3. Cards that fit well
4 [5E] Brainstorm - A deck with blue and shuffle effects need i say more?
4 [MR] Chrome Mox - First turn maw for them pesky lackeys, also helps remove excess nightmares.
4 [FNM] Cabal Therapy - The sac effect comes in handy when you cast shallow grave or have a Nevermaker.

//Fundamental Flaws
1. Black/Artifact/Shroud creatures - An opponent playing this color/colorless beats are an issue for your deck. Shriekmaw is essentially 3/2 for 5 that may kill creatures you already have in play. Thus leaving you with no removal.

2. Combo Decks - You are essentially (the way its organized right now) a late game control deck that runs only cabal therapy as disruption. Be it a horde of goblins, a belcher, a horde of black creatures that die before you could even hope to target them for no effect, a hasted flying behemoth, etc etc, you will fall.

3. Not drawing maw/drifter - The deck is basically built around recurring one of these two creatures not drawing one means you run 10 dead cards.

4. Not running Ramirez as kill - It loses ten cool points.

//[Shawshank] Redemption
While the decks flaws will be difficult to overcome, the deck has a lot of open design space. 16 slots are debatable by my logic.

//Ideas kicking around that haven't had a chance to be tested.
1. 3rd Color - While weakening the mana base, one could conceivably add red or green or white to the deck. Red has Spitebellows and Faultgrinder/avalanche riders. White provides Academy rector/Reveillark. Green has Goyf, Wall of blossoms, deed, and Eternal Witness.
2. Counter Suite/ Discard Suite - the deck could easily fit a counter suite or a discard Suite with all the room it has. I really just need to make sure it could support the Fows and such before they go in.
3. A Sideboard - Probably a good idea, i just don't know what to use yet ^^;

//Prior Testing
I haven't had the most time in the world to test but in the few games I got in the Fundamental flaws showed up.

Dragon Stompy
2-0 Despite a lot of sided in cards on his side game 2, the deck fights through 2 crypts and a needle on recurring nightmare.

B/R Storm combo thing
0-2 The goblin Horde off empty the warrens is too much.

UGr Thresh
0-2 3 Stifles Steal the first game, and mongooses show how much shroud hurts g2.

note:
More testing/thought will be put in Friday + seeing as i have Finals wednesday + Thursday.

zulander
01-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I think thoughtseize is a definite must. It helps out in literally every single matchup other than 43 lands and is so amazing.

C.P.
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Aethersnipe comes to mind if your are staring down Black/Artifact creature.

A cool concept. I toyed with Mask of mimic myself, but it was with Deranged Hermit. Good Luck.

Meekrab
01-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Recurring Nightmare + Evoke creatures is not a combo, they get sacrificed before you can use the Recurring Nightmare to exchange them for dead things.

Phantom
01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Oversold Cometary is a good alternative if you're looking for one. And a dredge creature like Stinkweed Imp is a good way to get more critters in the yard.

Maveric78f
01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
The deck is really nice. The build is clearly not optimal.

First of, I would play the pirates Rishadan Cutpurse and Rishadan Footpad in this deck. But never maker and mournhelk look weak.
Second of, Shallow Grave does not look to be the right animation spell. Why not animate dead?
Third of, I would play a lot of mana disruption : 4*wasteland, 4*port, 4*stifle.
Fourth of, FoW is absolutely needed.

// Lands 24
1 [b] Swamp (2)
7 [IA] Island (2)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 [A] Underground Sea
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port

// Creatures 16
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
4 Rishadan Cutpurse
4 Rishadan Footpad

// Spells 28
2 [EX] Recurring Nightmare
2 Oversold cemetary
4 [SH] Mask of the Mimic
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 FoW
4 Stifle

At least, it would be fun.

First test against Ichorid. Was too fun. A real slaughter.

Wobbles The Goose
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't mean to derail this thread, but merely to point out a deck I posted last month in the N+D forums that was also trying to exploit envoke+nightmare: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8054. I mean, being able to combo off with the nightmare is really cool, and the deck can certainly fit into a artifact disruption shell if you want it to. Heck, it even runs 1x Cutpurse to kill while comboing! I also had shriekmaw in original builds of the deck, but opted against it because it didn't contribute to the combo nor really kill all the creatures I wanted it to. It's great against the pseudo-mirror's out there, but I think it's definitely more of a metagame card then the heart and soul of the deck. I'm also a little confused about how fast this deck is. It doesn't seem like you can really cast a creature before turn three, and without a creature that wasn't envoked, recurring nightmare/mask of the mimic seem really hard to use.

Rood
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
You posted this deck Van haha awesome, where is your sideboard? I'd start off with 4x Stifle, 4x Jailer =].