4x Flooded Strand
4x Polluted Delta

Sideboard
4x Infest
3x Pithing Needle
3x Krosan Grip
2x Blue Elemental Blast
3x Hydroblast

This is a deck that takes advantage of stifling Phyrexian Dreadnought. In addition, the rest of the deck has legitimate threats so that the Dreadnought does not become the sole target of Edicts and StP. It's largest weakness seems to be quick Blood Moons, so the deck has been somewhat shored up against such, though not completely. It is built to apply early pressure, but not be too hurt if it needs to trigger a reset button, still suffering partial casualties, but with the ability to recover quickly afterward. It does not have as much of an aggro game compared to pure aggro decks, but Phyrexian Dreadnought can really swing the tide in a hurry.

The only card that really hurts with Bob is Force of Will, and between it and Tarmogoyf, they are both legitimate StP targets. Trinket Mage effectively gives the deck more opportunities to grab the Dreadnaught. I've looked at integrating the Countertop shell, but it takes away too much from setting the clock. Perhaps a 1-of Top for card quality/Bob control?

Against the mainstays of the format...

Goblins, the only immediate responses without an accelerant to Lackey is Stifle and Force, but with Lotus Petal, the list of options grows. Sideboarding in Infests in lieu of Trickbinds and Tormod's Crypt should give the deck a dramatic swing.

Against Countertop Threshold, the deck has a few different effective options in the form of Engineered Explosives, Pernicious Deed, and Krosan Grip, and should have a decent matchup. There is also the existence of the Stifles/Trickbinds effectively acting as early Time Walks if they decide to play a Fetch...

I still need to do full testing, but will be somewhat busy for the next week. Anything big I am missing here? Any better way to improve the mana base to make it less vulnerable?

P.S. The British version of Fraggle Rock takes place on a rocky isle.

Metaknight
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I love siflenought, and any and all variations of it, so as to be expected i like yours as well, but one question i have is Deed. In a deck where just about all of your threats are 2 mana or less (trinket mage could be a threat, but not really, it doesn't do much other than get nought, needle, top, or EE), seems kinda bad. I havn't tested it mind you, but it looks anti synergistic on paper.

Maveric78f
01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
And mox ! Card advantage is tech. Card disadvantage is not.

Shtriga
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
well, deed is not that bad. once you resolve a nought, you probably don't need to clear the board anyway. so it should be played and popped before nought hits play, but usually (from what I've seen, I never played this deck, just against it) you can stifle one into play much earlier than that, so I dunno.

Dilettante
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I've been looking at the Moxes... and looking at Lotus Petal as an alternative accelerant. The Petal does feed the Goyfs. The Chrome Mox gives me the ability to unmanascrew myself in some situations. As for the Deeds... they're on the board as a threat... if you DON'T get a naught in play... or while you're setting it up and you want to board wipe first before you play it. The deck CAN do the turn 1 Stiflenaught, but it doesn't rely upon it.

Metaknight
01-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I just did a quick check, and i count 15 blue spells, and 19 with force. Has that been enough for you; 15 seems a little low.

cann0nfodder
01-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Pernicious Deed and Dark Confidant, Goyf and Phyrexian Hulk do not make a good combo together. Also, Deed and chrome mox make an aweful combo. If you decide to run Deed then you should at least cut Chrome Mox. Maybe lotus petal would be a worthy replacement for Chrome Mox.

Dilettante
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm looking at it. Petals definitely. I don't get enough long-term advantage from the Chrome Mox since the mana curve is so low.

revenge_inc
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Just to throw it out there as a possibility, what do you think of Lightning Greaves (http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?name=Lightning%20Greaves) as a way to protect a Dreadnought?

Dilettante
01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Problem is... it's only sorcery speed and the things that kill it are either board sweepers (EE, Keg...), ignore targetting (Diabolic Edict), or too fast (StP, Naturalize)... and you'd have to draw into it and pay 2 mana... For the 2 mana and a card, I'd rather lay down another threat on the board instead of commit more. It'll protect against a Tin Street Hooligan, Shattering Spree, or Viridian Shaman... but not the maindeck solutions.

MTG-Fan
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Bump

Nice deck

keys
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah P Deed doesn't seem too hot when all of your threats are in the 1-2 cc range. Some combination of Putrefy, Smother, Ghastly Demise, and Vendetta would probably be better. Also, I think Ponder is better than Lotus Petal here since the more dig the better with two card combos, and you need the extra blue cards to fuel Force anyway. Or you could just give up Force and go with Daze or Spell Snare.

Benie Bederios
06-04-2009, 05:27 AM
What's all this hush about Pernicious Deed. This deck only has to have 1 creature out at the time. Before the Goyf era Bardo had an Gro-A-Tog list I believe with Deed.

Look at it this way: When you have a Goyf/Dreadnought there are very few instances where you want to blow up the board. But if an opponent start overextending and killing your thread Deed is golden.

Benie