PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] WuBirdInvasion

Jourdelune
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
This is my first deck submission. I am a French Canadian, so please show some comprehension about that! ;)

I had lurk a lot of Legacy forum on the past, played some local tourney and enjoying MWS. I started playing magic with the Legends Booster Box. :D

I did some playtesting, but I don't have some dedicated tester. (interested? EST time 19+, plz PM) I use MWSplay with "pick-up" to test it. I put CanG III in the MU description to have more mature players, you should do the same. So, it's why I subscribe right now, just to don't see the deck going be post by another person. I will make sure to get all the requirement of the CaNG post before the end date.

That deck had been worked since onslaught in the different format. It's ability to aggro or play control give him a big versatility. Worse MU are any combo.

It's advantage reside on his draw engine and the auto-pomping creature of the deck. A lot of card get tokens, so against any boomerang effect, it can be crushed.

So let's see the list:

Qty Name P/T Type
// Lands
4 Flooded Strand Land
4 Tundra Land
4 Plains Land
2 Island Land
1 Island Land
4 Seaside Haven Land
//\\
// Creatures
2 Sky Hussar 3WU Creature - Human Knight
4 Keeper of the Nine Gales2U Creature - Bird Wizard
2 Soraya the Falconer 1WW Creature - Legend
4 Soulcatcher 1W Creature - Bird Soldier
4 Pride of the Clouds WU Creature - Elemental Cat
2 Freewind Falcon 1W Creature - Bird
2 Coast Watcher 1U Creature - Bird Soldier
3 Courier Hawk 1W Creature - Bird
//\\
// Spells
3 Umezawa's Jitte 2 Legendary Artifact - Equipment
3 Soulcatchers' Aerie 1W Enchantment
4 Swords to Plowshares W Instant
3 AEther Vial 1 Artifact
2 Enlightened Tutor W Instant
3 Moat 2WW Enchantment
//\\
// Sideboard
4 Tormod's Crypt 0 Artifact
3 Disenchant 1W Instant
4 Meddling Mage WU Creature - Wizard
4 Pithing Needle 1 Artifact

Draw engine:
Seaside Haven + Sky Hussar : the seaside heaven come in mid game (around 4 or 5 land) It'S use is to create card advantage on chump block or burn. Plus the sacrifice of bird pump : Soulcatcher and Soulcather Aeries.

The Sky Hussar is used to get more mana for 4 land at turn 3 and more. Can help to race on 4 for Moat against some LD tech deck.

Pump effect:
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher's Aerie
Soraya the Falconer
Pride of the Clouds
Umezawa's Jitte

Because less goblins are played, EE plague is less played, but I don't dare going on small creatures without pumping. Against Aggro / Control, the deck can chump block to raise the soulcatchers effect. And SC Aerie is really useful against a lot of mass removal. (well i know they can be cleared with some enchantment or artifact tho P.Deeds and N. Disk)

Toolbox:
Sword to plowshares - Remove pesky treats - Goblin Lackey
AEther vial - Nice against counterspell deck or to play creature and keep mana for forecast effect ( Sky Hussar , Pride of the Clouds ).
U. Jitte - You all know why ;)

Lock:
Moat - That pieces is a lot important against a lot of MU I did. Thresh, Gobo, Affinity, and a lot of others. Racing for 4 mana is a must and sometimes we need to switch from aggro to control to put that pieces in there.

Keeper of the Nine Gales - 2 birds and himself = boomerang effect on any permanent

Small creature:
The small birds have either pro green or pro red or vigilance. They are the chump blocker to grow SC effects.

Actually, I get own by combo two game in a row (IGG black red).
2/0

I had survived against slivers: 2-1

BlackRedGreen like Slight surv 1-2 (i put had Pithing needle in SB after that, the goblin sharshooter give me pain)

Ugw Threshold - 3-1 (someone quit after first game)

I will continue to test and keep stats of them to give more information about it.

And I will figured out my SB (can change in testing or with your feedback) for each match-up 2 days before the end of the contest.

Thanks all for reading me and giving me your positive and constructive input.

Jourdelune

burkey_boy
01-26-2008, 07:23 PM
i made a bird deck... worked ok... but i splashed red... for goblin bombardment, and bolt etc for removal.

bombardment was cool interaction with the souldcatcher effects.

Please refer to our standards about grammar and capitalization (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174024&postcount=2) before posting again.

-PR

Shtriga
01-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I remember this deck from odyssey type 2 heh. I tested with it for a while but it was never as good as UG madness or MBC were (2 deck metagame ftl)

Krikkit
01-27-2008, 10:26 AM
This deck is fascinating. 3 jitte seems like too much. Maybe you can take out one and replace it with storm crow, which is a bird and has flying for only 2 mana which is a bargain.

Willoe
01-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I'd use Mirror Entity. It's pretty good to pump all your guys to survive Pyroclasms :-)

Jaynel
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Stormscape Familiar or Owl Familiar seems good.

Heresy
01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Est-ce que tu jouais au Donjon avant? Sinon le deck est cool pour un deck tribal.
You might try cheaper birds... it seems slow at @ 2 curve.

Jotun owl keeper is really cool

TheBirdMan
01-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I have been playing/testing U/W birds for a while now and this is my optimal list:

Creatures:24
4x Suntail Hawk
4x Soulcatcher
4x Aven Riftwatcher
4x Raven Familiar
4x Keeper of the Nine Gales
4x Pride of the Clouds

Artifacts:6
4x Aether Vial
2x Umezawa Jitte

Spells:12
4x Stifle/Swords (whatever utility is relavant to your meta)
4x Brainstorm
4x Soulcatcher's Aerie

Land:18
4x Tundra
4x Flooded Strand
1x Flagstones of trokair
4 plains
5 island

4x Pithing Needle
4x Chalice of the Void
4x Meddling Mage
1x Arcane Laboratory
1x Mana Maze
1x Rule of Law

Keeper of the ninegales with Riftwatcher and Raven Familiar is just rediculas, combo it with aether vial with 3 counters and its just retarded. As for the sideboard they are pretty close a lot of people around me play combo. Needle is definately nessisary since pernicious deed just wrecks us, so hard.

Jourdelune
01-27-2008, 07:50 PM
i made a bird deck... worked ok... but i splashed red... for goblin bombardment, and bolt etc for removal.

bombardment was cool interaction with the souldcatcher effects.

Please refer to our standards about grammar and capitalization (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174024&postcount=2) before posting again.

-PR

Effectively, goblin bombardment is a card I had splash for my elf deck and it's pretty good sacrifice synergism because you can sacrifice without mana or effect requirement.

Going the red way, would imply that the blue route is not good enough synergism with the white bird aspect of it.

Actually the meta-game contains so many 3+ colors, that land destruction is simply everywhere.

Aether Vial help a lot if it stick against LD, but it is not enough. The list here is a main white theme with some blue splash. And the curve is 2.38, with vial and LD, plus some basic land, it can land 1 or more spells per turn tempo. (unless totaly disrupt or cards advantage mess-up)

This setup in color actually permit the deck a possible favorable income on deck with less than 8 land destroy (wasteland = basic land = blood moon = basic to basic = i hate that). It's why all the fish deck run a smaller curve, but get own by the stompy with his set of disruption.

==========================================================

Today 12:55 PM
willoe I'd use Mirror Entity. It's pretty good to pump all your guys to survive Pyroclasms :-)

Mirror Entity is a once boost right? I can't stack any other +1/+1:

{X}: Creatures you control become X/X and gain all creature types until end of turn. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/cgi-bin/magicsearch.cgi?cardName=Mirror+Entity&cardColour=&cardType=&creatureType=&expansion=&rarity=&cardText=&rulingText=)

He does not fly, either. But at 2w and it's fast effect, it could save some situation. I can switch the falconer with them and try those 2 slot. I will give feedback.

========================================================

Today 01:44 PM
Jaynel Stormscape Familiar or Owl Familiar seems good.

To speed up Moat it's interesting. Or i should take off three slot on my canon fodder or invulnerable blocker. Vigilance help a lot on defense, while flying. IF the Serra Avatar could have been a bird...

========================================================

Heresy Est-ce que tu jouais au Donjon avant? Sinon le deck est cool pour un deck tribal.
You might try cheaper birds... it seems slow at @ 2 curve.

Jotun owl keeper is really cool

I had played at the Donjon at Ahuntsic. ;)

The Jotun owl is really great and I will look at them closely, thanks for the input. The curve is not so slow with Vials and moat, the control element cost either low or high. Perfect against board disruption.

I want to try some new element to augment the treat density of the deck. Going STD-Balance could be easily in the Board for some game. The goal is the play around meta and having fun doing so.

Thanks all for feedback so far, 10 minutes before our MMIS Raid. ;)

Jourdelune

Media314r8
01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
This deck is fascinating. 3 jitte seems like too much. Maybe you can take out one and replace it with storm crow, which is a bird and has flying for only 2 mana which is a bargain.

I fuckin' LOL'd so god damn hard.

He allready has a 1/2 vigilance flyer and some 1/1 flyer with pro golbins/goyf for the same cost. Are you seriously suggesting that he replace the most powerful equipment in legacy for a 1/2 flyer for 1U? The legendary super-type is hardly a drawback, as unless he has three (!!!) in hand and a two or more guys on board, the jittes will probably be countered (or destroyed with K Grip post-board) before the rest of his guys. Having two jittes in hand usually isnt a bad thing, its more like insurance.

Perhaps you've heard of little card called Force of will, he and his friend spell snare/daze will probably increase you odds of beating combo pre-boards.

Disenchant seems weak in the board. Perhaps humility to go with the pride of the clouds? That or worship and some more pro-red guys (to beat thresh/ goblins that don't board into enchantment removal)

Perhaps Counterbalance engine could work here as you have vial to keep your mana free.

The falconer girl seems to have some potential, as with ll your pro-color guys, banding can actually be incredibly relevant for blocking, as enough birds can eat a goyf or goblins, and assisgn all the damage to the guy with pro-attacker color.

TheBirdMan
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Owl keeper is too slow if you wanted quick drop of bird tokens you should run battle screech which is infinitly better

Jourdelune
01-28-2008, 09:51 AM

Jitte and Sword to plowshare are a must in Legacy. 7 slots is not enough to "override" some creatures deck that get better with retarded tech (goblins).

3 Jitte + 2 E. Tutor, give 5 slots in case I meet a pure tribal deck or a deck with 30 creatures. (random elves, slivers, surv deck)

Jitte is the card that can keep that deck up and running against burn or slight deck. Jitte is what the deck need when we face Fish deck to have a card that say, detroy the most retarded R&D card in magic (jitte they have it too).

Jitte give the possibility of an aggro deck to play on control.

Jourdelune

Jourdelune
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Owl keeper is too slow if you wanted quick drop of bird tokens you should run battle screech which is infinitly better

2w - Jotun Owl Keeper
Creature - Giant 3/3
Cumulative upkeep or (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)

When Jotun Owl Keeper is put into a graveyard from play, put a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying into play for each age counter on it.

2ww - Battle Screech
Sorcery
Put two 1/1 white Bird creature tokens with flying into play. Flashback-Tap three untapped white creatures you control. (You may play this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then remove it from the game.)

What I love with the Jotun, it bring a greater threat density (3/3), but he is not a bird and he don't fly. For the sake of creating token:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 mana = 4 birds while waiting 4 turns for 10 mana. (tried it, I had remove the falconner and 1 keeper of the nine gale to bring 3 Jotun in the deck, 3cc need a 3cc slot and BirdInvasion 3cc are not the best slot the deck get except foe the nine gale)

For the sorcery, 4 mana is a prohibitive cost in Legacy and I prefer a 4 mana card like MOAT that simply GG a lot of deck around (for game 1 at least). Against board disruption deck (Chalice of the Void), the card get some merit tho.

The less optimal token generator I get, is the Pride of the Clouds. 2WU Forecast (can't be countered). The only way to really abuse it, is having a Vial to play our creature, while generating card advantage with the Clouds. I have seen a completely broken token generator card lately, but I can't remember it and it was in a green only squirrel deck. (moat own them hard)

The thing is, I only need token generation (bird) to block and kill them to pump the soulcatcher effect. 4 mana none-counterable (unless stiffle, but it's just slow down the card) bird that is pumped and can pump and can block could make a difference against control MU or any deck that strive to have his opponent with no more than one creature on the board.

Actually the deck got a good balanced and can win against the challenger. Birdies token would require I remove something that work on different situation to get some more birds. I would welcome a card that said something like that:

If a permanent with token on it, goes in the graveyard put 1 "monster" with flying into play for each token on it. ;) That would be broken for that deck, so many token to count: Vial, Soulcatcher and his Aeries, Jitte. But actually, without a good broken card to generate a lot of flying token (Sacred Mesa anyone??) to pump SC effect, I prefer not taking that directions.

BirdInvasion rarely wins by outnumbering creatures count. It win with Flying and pump effect and Moat (board disruption). In Legacy, it's rare to play a MU that leaves your creatures free on the board.

The slots of the deck don't give enough place to freely remove cards in there, without affecting the balanced of it. And actually, the aggro/control aspect is different enough (moat, stp, jitte and flying rock) to bring surprise in the eye of an old legacy vet that don't really know what is around except his own legacy meta history.

Jourdelune

Jourdelune
01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I fuckin' LOL'd so god damn hard.

He allready has a 1/2 vigilance flyer and some 1/1 flyer with pro golbins/goyf for the same cost. Are you seriously suggesting that he replace the most powerful equipment in legacy for a 1/2 flyer for 1U? The legendary super-type is hardly a drawback, as unless he has three (!!!) in hand and a two or more guys on board, the jittes will probably be countered (or destroyed with K Grip post-board) before the rest of his guys. Having two jittes in hand usually isnt a bad thing, its more like insurance.

Perhaps you've heard of little card called Force of will, he and his friend spell snare/daze will probably increase you odds of beating combo pre-boards.

Disenchant seems weak in the board. Perhaps humility to go with the pride of the clouds? That or worship and some more pro-red guys (to beat thresh/ goblins that don't board into enchantment removal)

Perhaps Counterbalance engine could work here as you have vial to keep your mana free.

The falconer girl seems to have some potential, as with ll your pro-color guys, banding can actually be incredibly relevant for blocking, as enough birds can eat a goyf or goblins, and assisgn all the damage to the guy with pro-attacker color.

Going on the Force/Daze/Stiffle route would imply a bird deck Uw to work on.
In that regard, I would better love a Faerie deck with the same shell because faeries get the counterspelling fae, 3 lords fae (one is green tho). I had test a fae deck with the same shell and it was awesome, but one the other hand I found that Soulcatcher Effects (thanks for a 2 mana card that grow with the game) are a better invest than any synergism bring by the fae so far.

Even counterbalance problem in this deck is the UU. Actually Wu, permit to survive against land destruction or land disruption deck (bloodmoon or back to basic effect). But for the sake to raise my combo MU, i need to test it.

Disentchant - Well it is the only treat I had found to counter humility.
I had found that the blue splash is greater than the green splash. My green splash give me krosan grips and a flying beast that destroy enchantment or artifact when he hit a player. But, the pro green bird is blue, the nine gale help a lot against board position, Sky Hussar work so well and the Pride of Clouds shine there. So blue is the definitive splash that deck need. Even for the Meddling Mage to disrupt opponent play can be interesting while he remains on the board.

Humility with the Pride of The clouds??? Hmmm... well, no timestap tech that can be used like the manland, right? The pride will be a 1/1 with no abilities? For humility, I need a Soulcatcher Aerie for timestamp tech and I need it on the board after they played their humility, then need to kill some bird... at least humility don't override the bird effect. Am I right on that one? And if Pride override humility... what about Mirror Entity? I am not sure the Mirror Entity will work there, cause his ability will be null/void. If I can have 8 slots that abuse humility and give birdies synergism, perhaps moat vs. humility should be taken more seriously. But actually, MOAT is great because each my creature fly. So, I get 23-2 (falconner) card for it.

"That or worship and some more pro-red guys (to beat thresh/ goblins that don't board into enchantment removal)"

Well, I will open some secret here. In some Meta in the past, playing with so many enchantment and artifact was openly laugh. Now, look at the treat density of the deck:

SC Aeries, Vial, Jitte, Moat and pithing needle. + two E. Tutor. Even if your deck possess 8 enchantment/artifact removal (goblins splash green anyone?), those 8 slots become weak with the 15-19 slots that can be use in game 2 (for needle). In game 1, jitte and vial get remove before SC Aeries and by mid game, Moat surely see less enchantment removal, because of all the little 2 or 1 cc drops at the start of the game.

Falconer banding tricks are good, but the treat density of it compare to Mirror Entity bring me serious consideration. Neither of them fly, but the entity give the pride of clouds or the sky hussard the "bird" type, has well some late game pump effect(4 mana for all 4/4 flying is really nice, but pride of clouds an SC can see "downgrade" in some cases, but the birdies for all with SC Aeries pump on already pumped bird seems pretty decent). I should read on mirror entity more, I am not sure if I can pump with mirror and apply all the "pump" effect that are on the board. ME can save against sliver and elves or goblins or merfolk (islandwalk birds??? ;) or any tribal so far that give a lot of their abilities to all the tribe no matter the owner (fix till the last 2 years in most case, but all the others great card pumpers for all board are used nonetheless). So ME > Falconer in treat density, I will really test ME and will probably to +2ME -2Falconer.

Jourdelune

Media314r8
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
ITT: moonspeak.

Seriously though, I understand your arguements for ME over the faconer, and I too have many questions about interactions with ME. (ex: if you have a Jagged scar archers in play (*/*, where * is the number of elves you control), a mirror entity, and say two other elves (so archers is a 4/4) and you activate mirror entity for three, all your guys become 3/3 (all creature types) INCLUDING jagged scar!!! (as opposed to a 4/4 as you still control 4 elves) F'ing layers! Perhaps people 4 years from now will see layers as simple as we now see 'the stack' from the sixth ed comp rules change.

I was saying humility is fine for you, and I wouldnt worry too much about killing it unless you have moat in play. (in which case, you opponent wins with burn or someone decks themselves... or has a faerie conclave FTW... another odd rules interaction) With just humility, (supposing your opponent played it) you can generate as many 1/1 creatures with no abilities via forecasting pride, whereas your opponent may have something like decree, but their token generating is limited, and I would peg the player with forecasting 1/1s every turn as the eventual winner. I wouldn't hold slots in a SB just to kill humility.

If you do insist upon disenchant effects other than Krosan Grip, I would suggest seal of cleansing, as it can kill a standstill/counterbalance/crucible without having to worry about resolving (and/or breaking standstill) the pro-active resolution is suprisingly relevant.

I'm just not getting the explination of the arguement against worship, as with 3 moat, 3 worship, X aeries and probably 3 boarded in grips from your opponent, (if they even saw humility) your odds of a 'I win' card sticking are pretty decent.

HdH_Cthulhu
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Welkin Hawk is a must in this deck. you could sac it to draw a card and put counters on your enchantment!

Jourdelune
01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for comments all.

I get own by a lot of control deck packed with land destruction.

Sacred ground appeal me much for those MU and putting them at the place of disenchant could be viable. If I can find some place to put fearie conclave....

Perhaps the familiar to cast Moat faster would have me win more game against control (packed with LD) deck.

With the time going on before the end of the contest, I hope I could do 3 MU with goblins and 1 more with Threshold.

Jourdelune