PDA

View Full Version : Morningtide in Sligh

yespuhyren
01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I've been working on a Mono Red list that uses two new Morningtide cards:

Boldwyr Heavyweights

2RR, 8/8 trample opponent can search for a creature and bring it into play. While clearly if the opponent is playing something with extreme fatties this is bad, it seems like the majority of viable decks will not be playing anything nearly big enough to make this a bad card.

Countryside Crusher

So without further ado, here is the proposed list put out for some critiquing.

14x Mountain
3x Foothills (good with Crusher)
3x Bloodstained Mire (good with Crusher)

4x Slith Firewalker
4x Grim Lavamancer
4x Countryside Crusher
4x Boldwyr Heavyweights

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Chain Lightning
4x Lava Spike
4x Fireblast (good with Crusher)
4x Browbeat
4x Magma Jet

SB will be completely metagame dependant but I'm expecting to use something along the lines of:

4x Defense Grid
4x Leyline of the Void
7x?

RoddyVR
01-30-2008, 07:39 PM
the countryside crusher doesnt seem to go very well with any spell that costs more then 3 mana (ie the heavyweight).

if you cast the crusher when you only have 3 lands, you will never get a 4th land to be able to play the heavyweight or more then one fireblast (unless you're planning on browbeating or scrying (during your upkeep) into the 4th land....

and keeping the crushers in your hand untill you draw the 4th land kind of makes em worse...

seems a bit of a dissynergy... no?

oh, and your Heavyweight+opponent having Shriekmaw in deck = 2RR to give opponent a free 3/2.

bigbear102
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with Crusher in this type of deck, but not heavyweights, for the reasons already cited.

I would actually play no more than 3 Fireblast with crusher. If you resolve it turn 3, which would be optimal, then you will never cast more than 1 Fireblast. It is still a finisher, even if it does make Crusher bigger.

rufus
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Play Radkos Pit Dragon before the Heavyweights.

Some of the things you'll see:
Dragon Stompy - Radkos Dragon/Slogger
Aggro Loam - Crusher/Terravore
Thresh - Tarmogoyf
Death and Taxes - Mangara
Cephalid Breakfast - Combo Piece / Ghoul
Sui black - Shriekmaw
Aluren - Cavern Harpy / Imperial Recruiter